OfficeMatti

Commendable
Sep 7, 2019
Hello everyone! So im wondering and thinking of upgrading my PC, my question is that should I upgrade FX-6300 to R3 1200? (38€) I know that Ryzen has faster single- and multicore speed, but im playing kinda heavy games like Division 2, Fallout 4 and 76, Apex, WWZ etc. so is Ryzen lacking cores and threads to match the FX-6300, or should I buy FX-8100? (41€)
I would pare R3 1200 with GTX 780 Poseidon 3gb.
Thank you in advance, have a great day and stay safe out there! :)

Solution
It can be worth looking at used, complete systems - ie: you mention the i7-2600, but that would also require a different motherboard, but could still use your existing DDR3 RAM. Sometimes people sell complete older systems relatively inexpensively.

What speed is the used DDR4 you're looking at? Ryzen generally benefits from higher speed RAM. And, is it a matched pair of 2x4GB that came as 2 sticks in a single kit?

Getting back to Ryzen, am I correct in assuming that new motherboard is one with the A320 chipset? If so, you might want to instead consider spending a little more for a board with a B450 chipset - that way, if you decide to go with a newer Ryzen chip in the future (a 3000 series, or, if it is released in 2020, a 4000...

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
In moving to a Ryzen, you will have to get a new motherboard and new RAM. Possibly a new power supply as well, depending on the age, brand, and exact model of power supply you currently have.

The Ryzen 1200 is low end for Ryzen, but is so much more effective of a processor that even with slower speeds and fewer total threads, it will outdo any FX processor.

That said, I would NOT recommend upgrading to an FX-8100. You will see very little gain from it, and it would be a waste of money.

What country are you buying in, and what is your budget for an upgrade?

OfficeMatti

Commendable
Sep 7, 2019
In moving to a Ryzen, you will have to get a new motherboard and new RAM. Possibly a new power supply as well, depending on the age, brand, and exact model of power supply you currently have.

The Ryzen 1200 is low end for Ryzen, but is so much more effective of a processor that even with slower speeds and fewer total threads, it will outdo any FX processor.

That said, I would NOT recommend upgrading to an FX-8100. You will see very little gain from it, and it would be a waste of money.

What country are you buying in, and what is your budget for an upgrade?
Thanks for your answer! So mostly im buying used components in Finland, motherboard would be new (55€), 8gb DDR4 RAM (Around 20€) and Ryzen 3 1200 (+- 40€), so basicly im trying to get parts cheap and i have used used components very long and i havent been dissapointed. So i think i would reserve around ´150€ on my budget. I mean, i7-2600 costs around 40€ too used, that could be option too.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
It can be worth looking at used, complete systems - ie: you mention the i7-2600, but that would also require a different motherboard, but could still use your existing DDR3 RAM. Sometimes people sell complete older systems relatively inexpensively.

What speed is the used DDR4 you're looking at? Ryzen generally benefits from higher speed RAM. And, is it a matched pair of 2x4GB that came as 2 sticks in a single kit?

Getting back to Ryzen, am I correct in assuming that new motherboard is one with the A320 chipset? If so, you might want to instead consider spending a little more for a board with a B450 chipset - that way, if you decide to go with a newer Ryzen chip in the future (a 3000 series, or, if it is released in 2020, a 4000 series), that option should be open to you with just a BIOS update. I believe (but am not certain) that the A320 boards don't all support the 3000 series, and likely won't support the 4000 series in the future.

Reactions: OfficeMatti
Solution
Thanks for your answer! So mostly im buying used components in Finland, motherboard would be new (55€), 8gb DDR4 RAM (Around 20€) and Ryzen 3 1200 (+- 40€), so basicly im trying to get parts cheap and i have used used components very long and i havent been dissapointed. So i think i would reserve around ´150€ on my budget. I mean, i7-2600 costs around 40€ too used, that could be option too.
Instead of a Ryzen 3 1200, if you can get an i7-3770 or 4770 and a motherboard, you could reuse the DDR3 ram you have assuming you have at least 2x4GB or 2x8GB. The R3 1200 would have higher single core performance than the 3770, but the 4core 8 thread i7 would run smoother with little or no stutter compared to the 4 core 4 thread R3 1200. Even the i7-2600 would possibly be a better option than the R3 1200 despite having lower performance overall, simply because of the 8 total CPU threads making games run smoother.

If you are getting a B350 or B450 motherboard for that Ryzen 3 1200, you would still have to buy DDR4 ram, but now you have the option to upgrade to a 6-8core Ryzen 5 or 7 in the future. I would say this is the better option simply because of the CPU upgrade path.

OfficeMatti

Commendable
Sep 7, 2019

Getting back to Ryzen, am I correct in assuming that new motherboard is one with the A320 chipset? If so, you might want to instead consider spending a little more for a board with a B450 chipset - that way, if you decide to go with a newer Ryzen chip in the future (a 3000 series, or, if it is released in 2020, a 4000 series), that option should be open to you with just a BIOS update. I believe (but am not certain) that the A320 boards don't all support the 3000 series, and likely won't support the 4000 series in the future.
Yeah, I think that Ryzen would be better than old i7, right? And RAM would prapobly be 2667 / 2400 / 2133 MHz 2 x 4gb dualchannel. And B450-chipset MOBO costs 69€, would it be worth it?

Reactions: punkncat

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Yeah, I think that Ryzen would be better than old i7, right? And RAM would prapobly be 2667 / 2400 / 2133 MHz 2 x 4gb dualchannel. And B450-chipset MOBO costs 69€, would it be worth it?

This is purely anecdotal as my own experience.

When Ryzen broke I was using an i5 4690 which is a bit faster than the (i7) 2600. On paper the 4690 is roughly the same bit quicker than the R3 1200. I went ahead with the Ryzen 3 just to get a feel for the CPU. Call it the newer components, RAM speed, w/e but my seat of the pants feeling was that I would not have been able to tell a difference between the two playing a game or working. I used mine with some QVL listed 2400 (edit- it might even have been 2133) speed RAM. The system continues to work like a champ to this day (just for someone else).

OfficeMatti

Commendable
Sep 7, 2019
This is purely anecdotal as my own experience.

When Ryzen broke I was using an i5 4690 which is a bit faster than the (i7) 2600. On paper the 4690 is roughly the same bit quicker than the R3 1200. I went ahead with the Ryzen 3 just to get a feel for the CPU. Call it the newer components, RAM speed, w/e but my seat of the pants feeling was that I would not have been able to tell a difference between the two playing a game or working. I used mine with some QVL listed 2400 speed RAM. The system continues to work like a champ to this day (just for someone else).
Thank you for sharing your own experience, at this point R3 1200 starts to sound pretty great and I could get it for cheap price, so I might prapobly go with it.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

I think it would be worth the extra money for the B450 mobo, since you might possibly want to upgrade it to a 3000-series Ryzen sometime in the future.

Of those three speeds, I would definitely recommend getting 2667, but if you can find 2933 or 3000 for about the same price (they seem to be pretty common), or only slightly more, I would go for that.

OfficeMatti

Commendable
Sep 7, 2019
I think it would be worth the extra money for the B450 mobo, since you might possibly want to upgrade it to a 3000-series Ryzen sometime in the future.

Of those three speeds, I would definitely recommend getting 2667, but if you can find 2933 or 3000 for about the same price (they seem to be pretty common), or only slightly more, I would go for that.
Yep, thanks a lot buddy! I think im going for that R3 1200. Its nice to know i can get help in here!

Reactions: King_V

j121

Reputable
Nov 9, 2017
if i was you i would concider the r5 1400 the get the extra cores if you can afford it. when it comes to used i7 i would look into getting a used xeon that usually is same performance as the i7 but cheaper. i upgraded hp pro 3500 awhile ago with intel xeon e3 1270 4 cores / 8 threads wich is about same as i7 3770. so a system/motherboard supporting a used xeon can be a good choice to if you dont mind used.

TRENDING THREADS