FX 6300+ASROCK 980 unstable core voltage

GerryDC

Reputable
Jan 4, 2015
A month ago I've assembled a new pc that has core voltage and overheating issues.

ASRock 980DE3
AMD FX6300 Black Edition 6 Core (3.5/4.1GHz)
SAPPHIRE AMD R9 280 3 GB
Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB DDR3 1600MHz
Seagate Barracuda 3.5 inch 2TB 7200 RPM
Thermaltake Smart SE 630W 80

Basically, with stock cooler the CPU temperatures during gaming (Wolfeinstein with all settings on maximum in 1024) reached mid 70s (Celsius) within 10 minutes. Idle temperatures were around 35 and around 38-40 while browsing the net. As I was planning to overlock the cpu anyway, I bought a CM Hyper 212. The results were deplorable; it took more time for the cpu to overheat but it did reached 70 after say 20 minutes of gaming. I know that AMD cpus run hot and there are no two identical cpus nonetheless these are still terrible results. Rest assured I've reapplied the heatgoo again (AS5) and checked if the cooler sits correctly. I've also tried another fx 6300 but the results were the same.

Moreover, while playing with headset on, I've noticed a weird sound in the background; the closest thing I know is when you get a call with your mobile being next to a speaker which is turned on. The cutscenes were desynchronised with audio lagging behind.

With cpu z I've noticed that the core voltage keeps changing between 800-1400 and I'm fully aware that this is completely normal. However on one occasion the cpu did not overheat while playing with Wolfeinstein; temperatures stayed around 46 degrees, the noise in the background disappeared and cutscenes run perfectly.

This was all because, for reasons unknown, the cpu core voltage was stable 1200 without fluctuations. I do not know that caused this, and this didn't occur ever since - after turning the pc off on the end of the day the next boot saw core voltages fluctuating again.

It became clear that while this not supposed to result in cpu overheating it strangely does, so I manually put core voltage to 1200 in bios, while disabling related functions (turboboost, etc). Now the temperatures during gaming (Shadow of Mordor, COD AW, etc) doesn't go over 55 degrees (though Dragon Age I might have reached nearly 60), however the cutscenes are still desynchronised a bit and, most importantly, the core voltage still fluctuates randomly: when set to 1200 it goes anywhere between 1172 to 1216. Sometimes only with 0.08 but it does. This I (again) do not understand: when I set the core voltage to a certain level doesn't it supposed to stay like that? This worries me for two reasons: firstly, (as lame as it may sounds) I hope this domes not damage the cpu (guess not) and secondly, I plan to overlock at some point in the future but if my gaming temperatures are already around 50-55 this might prove to be a hard nut to crack. The only thing I know that during that one time when the core voltage was miraculously stayed at 1200 (without me changing anything in the bios) the gaming temperatures were lower and the cutscenes were running perfectly. I would really appreciate your insight!

Solution
That is a pretty low-end motherboard. Voltage regulators on it are definitely not great, and IMHO unsuitable for overclocking. Small core voltage fluctuations are common, but the larger fluctuations you've been seeing may be down to the motherboard just not being that good. Audio interference on integrated sound is again something that can happen on cheaper motherboards. The board only has a Realtek ALC662 codec after all, and no shielding.
That is a pretty low-end motherboard. Voltage regulators on it are definitely not great, and IMHO unsuitable for overclocking. Small core voltage fluctuations are common, but the larger fluctuations you've been seeing may be down to the motherboard just not being that good. Audio interference on integrated sound is again something that can happen on cheaper motherboards. The board only has a Realtek ALC662 codec after all, and no shielding.

Solution

bmacsys

Honorable
BANNED

That board is thermal throttling your cpu as it has a reputation of doing. The phase power is insufficient to handle the load of the four, six or eight core FX cpu's at full load. I don't think it even has heatsinks on the mosfets. Put a two core Athlon II in it a your problem would go away. My advice. Buy a 990FX board with 8+2 phase power.

GerryDC

Reputable
Jan 4, 2015
Thank you for your answers. Indeed, as its quite obvious from the cpu choice I was trying to build a budget gaming pc, hence the motherboard. Anyway, if there's no way around it, would the Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 SKT-AM3+ or the AsRock 990FX Extreme3 be better? The difference is merely 2.12 pounds (82 vs 84.12) or are there any slightly cheaper options? (I also hope that both of the aforementioned boards work fine with a hyper 212, it being rather large.)