FX 6300 at 1866 MHz or above

amdchipfan

Reputable
Dec 16, 2015
I wanted to ask about problems getting the AMD 6300 to utilize it's max RAM speed of 1866 MHz, and the possibility of getting higher RAM speeds with this CPU.

I've seen a few posts here mentioning that sometimes the 6300 will only use a RAM speed of 1600 rather than its max of 1866.

Given the pronounced impact this can have on gaming performance (as demonstrated in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5ejBlynOV8), I want to make sure I avoid this problem in the build I'm planning on putting together with a 6300.

Further, I'm curious if anyone has any tips on pushing the 6300 to even higher RAM speeds than 1866 or whether it's possible.

Thanks in advance for your help!

FX 6300 is quite happy with 1866 MHz because built in controller works at that frequency. If you want any faster RAM, mobo and it's BIOS are what may stop it. You just need to use RAM that can work on that frequency or more.
Only time you'd get some visible speed improvement is when you use APU processor with GPU built in because than it uses DDR3 for video instead of much faster VRAM (usually DDR5) on a dedicated GPU.
PS: In that video they were comparing processors not RAM speed on same FX6300. If you compare FX 6300 with 1600 and 1866 or faster RAM FPS may change by one or so FPS if that depending on game.

amdchipfan

Reputable
Dec 16, 2015

Awesome. Thanks for the info. Sorry about the much delayed response, TH would not let me log in for like a month.

Fair point about the video, but I do think it shows a difference in the CPUs where they tried at two different RAM speeds. It seemed to vary but I think it was there.