[SOLVED] Fx 6300 CPU upgrade recommendations?

Nov 22, 2021
Hi I've been using an Amd fx-6300 and Gtx 750 ti for about 5 years or so I feel like I want to upgrade my components starting by the CPU
I find that I can get ryzen 3 1300x or ryzen 1400 for exact price 98$. I already gathered the compatible motherboard for them and also a decent ram.

I use my pc for some video editing and gaming of course.
My question though Is there going to be any noticeable performance if ever I choose either one of them?
I know that it will help me for editing for better rendering but for gaming is there going to be fps boost by any chance?
And the last is one of those two really worth the price or should I upgrade for more like 3600x?

My full specs
Cpu: AMD fx-6300 (stock cooler)

MOBO: Gigabyte 78lmt-s2p rev 5.0

Gpu: Gtx 750 ti (2gb)

Ram: 8gb 1600mhz dual channel

PSU: 700 watt ( A really old brand that I can't even find the name anymore)

Solution
Hi I've been using an Amd fx-6300 and Gtx 750 ti for about 5 years or so I feel like I want to upgrade my components starting by the CPU
I find that I can get ryzen 3 1300x or ryzen 1400 for exact price 98$. I already gathered the compatible motherboard for them and also a decent ram.

My question though Is there going to be any noticeable performance if ever I choose either one of them?
I know that it will help me for editing for better rendering but for gaming is there going to be fps boost by any chance?
And the last is one of those two really worth the price or should I upgrade for more like 3600x?

My full specs

MOBO: Gigabyte 78lmt-s2p...

My full specs

MOBO: Gigabyte 78lmt-s2p rev 5.0

Gpu: Gtx 750 ti (2gb)

Ram: 8gb 1600mhz dual channel

PSU: 700 watt ( A really old brand that I can't even find the name anymore)

Ryzen, even first gen is much faster than the FX series so yes a 1300X or 1400 would improve games (although keep in mind that 750ti is pretty slow so that will be the main bottleneck in many titles if you are keeping it).

I would probably look for a second hand R5 1600 or 2600 or higher, probably wouldn't cost you much more and the extra cores / threads would be helpful for video rendering and so on. A 3600 is of course much faster, however you would really need to also upgrade the graphics card to really see a benefit from that over one of the earlier parts.

Solution
Nov 22, 2021
Oh thank you for the answer
Ryzen, even first gen is much faster than the FX series so yes a 1300X or 1400 would improve games (although keep in mind that 750ti is pretty slow so that will be the main bottleneck in many titles if you are keeping it).

I would probably look for a second hand R5 1600 or 2600 or higher, probably wouldn't cost you much more and the extra cores / threads would be helpful for video rendering and so on. A 3600 is of course much faster, however you would really need to also upgrade the graphics card to really see a benefit from that over one of the earlier parts.
Oh thanks for the answer!

And also thanks for suggesting the 1600 as I also have it in my list I will go for the CPU for that extra core

Sorry I didn't Include the GPU that I could purchase

I could get an RX 460 or 560 4gb variant for also an exact 150$

If ever I get one of those GPU first over the r5 1600 is there going to be an opposite bottleneck we're the fx-6300 is bottlenecking the GPU?

I couldn't purchase all at once I need to wait a month or so to purchase the other parts but all I really need is something to upgrade my performance for a while.

Oh thank you for the answer

Oh thanks for the answer!

And also thanks for suggesting the 1600 as I also have it in my list I will go for the CPU for that extra core

Sorry I didn't Include the GPU that I could purchase

I could get an RX 460 or 560 4gb variant for also an exact 150$

If ever I get one of those GPU first over the r5 1600 is there going to be an opposite bottleneck we're the fx-6300 is bottlenecking the GPU?

I couldn't purchase all at once I need to wait a month or so to purchase the other parts but all I really need is something to upgrade my performance for a while.

Looking at the performance difference I wouldn't bother upgrading to a 460 or 560, I don't think the jump is really worth it (looks to be ~ 40% faster). I would see if you can get something from 1 tier above those to get more of a boost, something like an RX 570, GTX 1060 3gb, or GTX 970 would all be better options. If you just upgrade the cpu and keep the 750ti you will probably get more stable fps than with the FX, although the average frame rate is unlikely to change much. There probably isn't any point upgrading your gpu before upgrading FX.

Last edited: