FX-6300/GA-990FXA-UD3 Unable to Overclock

Oxadisasom

Commendable
Mar 15, 2016
Hey all, so ever since I got this Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 I've been having troubles with overclocking. I previously had the Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2 with the same CPU and achieved a stable overclock of 4.1GHz/4.3 boost, so I'm assuming my problem is with the motherboard.

So after I got everything with the upgrade set up, including downloading the latest BIOS, I went about overclocking the CPU. So in the BIOS, I tried increasing the core clock, but when I press "Enter" to change the setting, nothing happens. The CPU unlock setting is Enabled, and I've tried many combinations of the other settings, but still I can't change the clock setting.

After this, I thought I would just do it from the desktop via AMD Overdrive. Well, every time I change the core settings at all, even just up to 3.6GHz, I get a black screen, but I can still hear system sounds, etc., so it doesn't seem like a crash. I have been messing around with a myriad of settings, with no luck.

My full system:
AMD FX-6300
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970
Corsair CX750M
4x WD Black 2TB Hard Drives
Phanteks Enthoo Pro
Custom Watercooling Loop

Thank you in advance for your help with this issue.

Solution
I have FX6350 on same MB and and is running at 4.8 GHz, 24/7.
I'm doing it in BIOS on multiplier only because when you change clock, than memory and PCIe/PCI jump too high.
If you want to change clock you have to lower RAM multiplier first.
I have FX6350 on same MB and and is running at 4.8 GHz, 24/7.
I'm doing it in BIOS on multiplier only because when you change clock, than memory and PCIe/PCI jump too high.
If you want to change clock you have to lower RAM multiplier first.

Solution

Oxadisasom

Commendable
Mar 15, 2016
Wow guys, I'm a complete idiot apparently. Multiplier is what I meant to say I was trying to change. On my old motherboard you would just press enter and get a drop down of multipliers and I assumed since this is the same brand it would be the same. I just have to type the multiplier into the field. Thanks for your help, I'm just stupid lol

TRENDING THREADS