fx 6300 in 2017

Oct 27, 2017
I have ordered a fx 6300 to pair with my gtx 1050 was it a smart decision in 2017?
I didnt have money to buy ddr4 ram as the prices are very high rn, and i already have 8 gigs of ddr3.

manddy123

Admirable
Not much IMHO....
If you wanted to keep your RAM you should have, at least, went with intel older chips like Haswell.

You can get a good after market cooler and overclock it to help increase it's performance but you bought from a dead platform that wasn't even good when it first came out.

But it depends how much money you saved, i wouldn't recommend that setup. But if you got it from second hand or a cheap deal, it may be worth-ish.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Depends how inexpensive it was. If you're ever going to upgrade this machine or you use applications that benefit from something better than an FX-6300, saving money on DDR4 by spending on a 2011 platform could be a decidedly expensive decision in the long-term. And if you were deadset on saving money on the RAM anyway, a budget Haswell would have made a lot more sense as you would have had an actual upgrade path to an i7-4770/4790 if you needed more processing power.

Oct 27, 2017

Oct 27, 2017
A 2nd or 3rd gen i5,i7 gives pretty much the same performance ,and there is a upgrade path to fx8k or 9k series but I think 1050 should not be a problem at all and anyways if I upgrade something in that system in the future I'll most probably get a 1060 and stay with it for a while and I believe oc it can reduce or prevent any bottleneck if there is any to the 1060.

Run a gtx 970 with a 6300 (admittedly overclocked) for 3 years.

At this current point in time the 970 has become more of a limitation than the 6300 in a lot of games.

Its not going to struggle running a 1050, that 1050 will limit gaming performance a lot more than the fx 6300

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Not really. Past a 6300 (meaning 8320 or 8350), you need a higher-end AM3+ motherboard to handle the 125W CPUs (990fx or one of the top tier 970s) and if you bought one now, you'd be destroying your savings on the RAM in the first place. 9370 and 9590 aren't upgrade options either; not only would you need a $120 motherboard at a minimum, but at $100 power supply and $100 cooler.

And in gaming, the 3570k and 3770/3770k are absolutely not on the same level as the AM3+ CPUs. Instructions per cycle rules the day.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

No, I agree, they're well-matched. I'm only talking in the context of an upgrade path or preferable options with the money.

Oh I agree absolutely aswell.

The issue here is taking a setup based entirely on already owning ddr3 ram is just going to be non-beneficial in every way possible anyway.
You are stuck with a dead socket & fairly non-upgradeable system anyway.

Haswell would have been a better choice no doubt because at least there is still some semblance of availability but prices generally are cripplingly high for old spec hardware.
Ivy/sandy I wouldn't even consider because unless you get a k series chip & a z series board (which is nigh impossible for reasonable money now) you would be stuck with a stock speed chip ,likely sata 2 with no usb & poor ram speed support.

Am3+ ? you can at least get half decent board still reasonably priced with fairly upto date specs.

& in all honesty ,& in my own practical experience ,a 6300@4ghz performs virtually the same as a 3570 in gaming scenarios no matter what the gpu .
There is a lot of 'rose tinted' reminiscing of the ivy/sandy cpu's but the fact is without a substantial overclock they are showing their age every bit as much as the piledriver chips.

Sold my last 2 ivybridge setups a few months back ( apart from my dell laptop which is still going strong),I kept the 6300 because imo its actually the better general use cpu.

Itll go soon though as I have 2 ryzen rigs but the fact is its the one cpu I actually feel kind of attached to,I will honestly be sorry to get rid as I personally think from 2012 to 2016 it was actually amd's best cpu by a long long long way.

TRENDING THREADS