FX-6300 OC might not be stable

VenBaja

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
Ok, it most likely isn't stable...I admit it. So I originally shot for a 4.3 OC with my newly purchased 212 EVO, and upped the voltage slowly all the way to 1.38 while testing with Prime95. I kept getting the error "rounding was 0.5 expected less than 0.4" and one or two of the cores would drop from 100% to 0-15% usage...and my PC would lock up about half the time I ran the test (blend). I kept the voltage the same and went down to 4.2Ghz, and then 4.1Ghz, and I still keep getting the same error and core 6 will drop down to 0-15% usage, now with no freezing. The thing is, I'm able to play games and run all my normal tasks just fine. When I search for what others have their settings at to OC this CPU, none of them seem to need to go all the way to 1.38 volts for even a 4.2Ghz overclock. What do you guys think could be the issue?

P.S. I have also tested the RAM with Memtest several times and it has tested clean...BUT ever since I purchased the RAM (8gb DDR3 1600Mhz Ballistix Sport dual-channel) about 7 months ago I have not been able to get it to function in dual-channel mode. The motherboard only seems to detect the full 8gbs if I use the single channel slots. So I guess there could be some issue with either the mobo or RAM.

Solution
CPUs OC differently. And while using P95, it's a very stressful app for your CPU. I've read somewhere that P95 would stress your CPU unrealistically. But that's the point, stable for anything that you WILL do. Try upping the voltage to 1.4. Round 0.5 is related to voltage. 45C is a very good load temp bro. :)

adimeister

Honorable
CPUs OC differently. And while using P95, it's a very stressful app for your CPU. I've read somewhere that P95 would stress your CPU unrealistically. But that's the point, stable for anything that you WILL do. Try upping the voltage to 1.4. Round 0.5 is related to voltage. 45C is a very good load temp bro. :)

Solution