FX-6300 on ASRock 890GX Extreme4

Aug 31, 2018
Curious to find out if anyone has had any luck with running the fx-6300 on the ASRock 890gx extreme4. Now I know its not on the official list of supported CPUs [which stops at the Phenom II x6 line], but I'm hoping someone has given it a try. Any info I've found on the net has to the with the extreme3 or extreme4 r2.0 variant boards.

A previous thread I ran across concerning the extreme3 had mixed messages from the community so I'm hoping that someone has attempted and succeeded with this combo.. [http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3640177/6350-asrock-890gx-extreme.html]

Solution
Maybe. In some cases. I can tell you that an overclocked FX-8350 performs just fine with any graphics card to date designed for 1080p performance in mind though. I know, I have one sitting on my workbench with a clients GTX 1060 6GB card in it, and it does wonderful. Certainly it would do better in any CPU demanding titles with a newer processor and platform, but it handles well enough for anybody who doesn't have the option of changing platforms or upgrading, so long as they understand the limitations of the configuration.

Just because something else performs better, doesn't mean a thing doesn't itself perform well enough to get a job done in at least an acceptable fashion. FWIW, the FX-6300 has the exact same core performance as the...
There is no mixed message. That motherboard and chipset are AM3 only. No AM3+ is supported on that board. If there had been support added through bios updates, it would be reflected in the cpu support list.

There reason you are getting mixed signals is because the 890gx extreme4 version 2.0 of that board, not the version 1.0, does support some FX processors. So some references might say there is support, but they are referring to version 2.0 only.

Aug 31, 2018
Ah i see, makes sense now. So i guess my options are a bit limited. Just a quick question, the unlocked multiplier is only avaliable on the Black Edition models correct?

Ebay hunting for a replacement at the moment. The phenom II x4 chips are plenty cheap, while the x6 line starts to add up past the 1055 model.. which would you guys suggest for the casual gamer, more cores or higher clock speeds?

Currently running a Phenom II x3 720 BE with an unlocked core @ 3.0Ghz

Actually, the most cores at the highest clock speed you can afford. Bottom line is that the platform is so old that it's going to seriously bottleneck any modern gaming card, that could reasonably be called a "gaming card" at least.

Yes, Black editions have the unlocked multiplier. Truthfully, on THAT CPU series, higher clock speed is probably pretty critical as it will have much lower IPC than anything that is standard from the last few years.

Aug 31, 2018
Yeah, i think i'm just going to replace the board. Any suggestions? Currently looking at this GA-970A-DS3P, looks like a decent value with AM3+ support for the FX line.

I'm sure he'll gladly do that if you are willing to pay for it.

Aside from that, comments like that are not how we help members, so stow it and be helpful, or move along. I can tell you for certain that you are already on the notice list among those you really don't want to be noticed by, for the kind of behavior you don't want to be noticed FOR. See what I mean?

You can make recommendations for a newer system without making those kinds of comments, and should do so in the future. Be civil, be polite, or be gone.

As far as your recommendations go, you clearly don't understand what it's like to have to buy hardware when you live in a region where it is neither inexpensive nor readily available. Even in the US, for somebody without a deep wallet, it's a lot cheaper to source used FX series parts, especially if you already have the DDR3 to go with it, than it is to buy a new motherboard, CPU AND the DDR4 you are going to have to have in order for those to be usable. Definitely not even in the same ballpark.

I can usually find an FX CPU, motherboard and 16GB of DDR3 for less than two hundred bucks, without a lot of miles on them. 16GB of DDR4 will cost you 150 or more, by itself. So, your option makes sense if the money is there for it, otherwise it's easy to tell others they need to buy a new platform when you're not paying for it.

Any of these boards are very good for the FX series, even for overclocking on FX 8 core CPUs.

Tier One-Class B: Enthusiast Level. Great boards for extreme OCing on any current FX in the market. Feature laden, high quality boards. No known issues with any of them.

Extreme6 (Termed as 990X chipset board on some sites)
Extreme9
Fatal1ty 990FX Professional
Crosshair V Formula-Z
Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
GA-99FXA-UD5
MSI GD80V2 (See NOTE1 below)
M5A99FX PRO R2.0
GA-99FXA-UD3
990FX Killer
Extreme4

M5A99X EVO (R2.0 as well)
GA-990XA-UD3
990XA-GD55

No SLI capabability:

GA-970A-UD3P
M5A97 or EVO or PRO (R.2 as well)
GA-970A-UD3

SLI capable:

970 GAMING
970A SLI Krait (USB 3.1 supported)
Extreme 3 R2.0

Just make sure they are AM3+ motherboards, as these board models are generally available throughout a wide range of socket and chipset families, so Extreme3 is possible in both Intel and AMD chipsets, and multiple generations. If the board is AM3+ and is one of the models listed above, then it's is a good model.

pointing out that almost any other platform for the same money is helpful....

used IB/haswell i5s go for small amounts. same price, half the power, 50% more single thread.
not to mention the am3/+ are 100W+ with low single thread, factoring that in those old amd chips are very expensive.

Is NOT helpful. All it does is chase people away who don't want to be heckled like they are often are at other forums or places like Reddit where filth and idiocy is unchecked. We'd prefer to not see that here. If you can't understand that, then you lack the kind of mettle that's likely to take you very far here, AND may shorten your stay somewhat.

Aside from some of the advice I've seen you offer, not all of which was very good, I'm just saying, it can't hurt to be polite. If you can't be polite, might as well not be here. I made it clear that it wasn't the advice, it's the manner in which you give it that leaves something to be desired.

And what goes for small amounts where YOU live, would not seem to be indicative of what things go for in other places. Plus, not everybody wants to roll the dice on used hardware. I wouldn't. You can still get new hardware for old platforms, but most of it will be prohibitively expensive. A Haswell Z or H97 board, new, will likely cost you over 200 bucks.

An AM3+ board, new, you can probably get for the same price it cost when it was current, or at least a lot closer to it AND are a lot more readily available, new or used, in smaller countries where most of the people NEVER were able to afford Haswell/Intel parts and you won't find them trickling down the new to used market because they were not commonly purchased there to begin with except in a few, isolated cases by more well to do citizens.

If you want to be helpful here, you should broaden your horizons and make an effort to understand that a lot of our members are from the Middle East, upper Europe and far Southern America, and the markets are MUCH different there as far as what is available and for what kind of prices.

I'm sorry if anyone was offended. That statement was too harsh.

That platform nearly bankrupt AMD and it was historically their worst line.
If there are alternatives available they should be looked at.
I'm not going to assume anything about the OP and what's available or not. I'm just suggesting that they look.
Everything from sandy bridge on out performs the pre-ryzen stuff.

Maybe. In some cases. I can tell you that an overclocked FX-8350 performs just fine with any graphics card to date designed for 1080p performance in mind though. I know, I have one sitting on my workbench with a clients GTX 1060 6GB card in it, and it does wonderful. Certainly it would do better in any CPU demanding titles with a newer processor and platform, but it handles well enough for anybody who doesn't have the option of changing platforms or upgrading, so long as they understand the limitations of the configuration.

Just because something else performs better, doesn't mean a thing doesn't itself perform well enough to get a job done in at least an acceptable fashion. FWIW, the FX-6300 has the exact same core performance as the 8350, but of course it can also only process two less threads as well.

Solution