Question Fx-6300 overclocked

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

spaceface25

Reputable
Jul 1, 2015
Fx-6300 overclocked to 4510 mhz, stable with real bench so far. Kinda new to OC. Is it ok to try a little higher?
Mobo is gigabyte ga-970a-ds3p rev 2.1( from what I've read not the best board for oc). CM evo 212 and 5 case fans. Corsair vengeance 2x8( 16) . Xfx radeon 570. Temps are staying around 48c during stress and bench. Any thoughts or info would be appreciated. Thanks!

spaceface25

Reputable
Jul 1, 2015
Just trying to wrap my head around CPU and GPU bottle necks. I have a radeon rx570 and when I play some games they stutter. I use msi afterburner and rivatuner(?) to do in game diagnostics and my cpu is at the highest 50 to 60 percent usage while my gpu is at 100% most of the time. Memory is only 8g while I have 16 in there. I guess I have alot of reading ahead. Any input on bottle necking would be great

Just trying to wrap my head around CPU and GPU bottle necks. I have a radeon rx570 and when I play some games they stutter. I use msi afterburner and rivatuner(?) to do in game diagnostics and my cpu is at the highest 50 to 60 percent usage while my gpu is at 100% most of the time. Memory is only 8g while I have 16 in there. I guess I have alot of reading ahead. Any input on bottle necking would be great

On your CPU when at 50-60% useage that's probably whole CPU, average of all 8 cores. But one core of the CPU could be at 100%, pegged at max. Probably is, actually, and that one core (thread) is what is limiting the whole CPU and GPU performance since everything else waits for it to be done before the frame can be rendered out.

That would be the bottleneck.

I'm not saying I know what's causing your stuttering. but on my RX5700, when I overclock too high the GPU will get hot and then it throttles back to a lower clock, cools off and then heats up, repeat. That clock instability seems to bring on stuttering in games. If i cool off the overclock and get the clocks to stay stable the stuttering goes away, even though high FPS numbers do to in benchmarks.

there's probably a lot of reasons for stuttering though.

Last edited:
Reactions: spaceface25
My advice? Don't try to figure it out.

The bottom line is this. If you cannot achieve the desired GRAPHICAL quality level without frame rates dropping drastically, and frame rates go WAY UP if you reduce settings, then you need a stronger graphics card because you are either gaming at settings that are too high for the card you have or are gaming at a resolution that is higher than your card is capable of performing well at.

If however you can run the desired graphics settings and it has no effect on frame rates, and frame rates are not where you desire or expect them to be, even if you drastically reduce settings, then you probably can safely blame that on a CPU that is not capable enough.

Keep in mind that there are caveats and exemptions from any general rules because some games are primarily GPU intensive and some games are seriously CPU intensive, and when playing those particular games the behaviors may not be in line with what you are seeing when playing other, more typical games. Also, some games, obviously, are tremendously more difficult and resource intensive than others.

It's not difficult to determine however that an RX 570 paired with an FX-6300 is going to result in a CPU bottleneck at 1080p or lower resolution since the FX-6300 was released in October of 2012, making it 7 years old, and was not then or at any point during it's life, a particularly strong gaming processor.

zx128k

Reputable
Stuttering should not happen. Even my 4930k does not stutter with a 2060 in destiny 2. The fps is just lower but smooth as silk with the right graphic settings. I did have the 4930k running @ 4.5GHz and the DDR3 RAM @ 2400 which is a decent overclock and I have 6 cores and 12 threads. Your cpu I think, is 6 cores and 6 threads.

If I remember correctly the FX-6350 was available at the same time as the 4930k. Both 2013 but I think the 6300 was the end of 2012.

spaceface25

Reputable
Jul 1, 2015
Thanks for the replies! I think I'll try all of your input into the matter. Start with graphics and resolution then move on to a lower clock/voltage etc;. Just gotta work to find the sweet spot.

If stutters are the problem, then I agree that it's probably not a bottleneck at either end of the equation, but some other issue such as a driver issue or setting somewhere.

How much memory do you have? What speed it it?

Stutters can also be caused by throttling, so if you are having thermal issues, that can definitely be part of the problem if you are having moderate to severe drops in FPS, that can be accompanied by or translated into stuttering sometimes.

Is is actually stuttering, or micro stuttering, because they are different things.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Can also be attributed to shortages of ram and pagefile usage.

Most stuttering happens when fps and monitor refresh are about equal. So if the game is getting right around 59-60fps and you are using a standard 60fps monitor, you'll get a 1:1 refresh. Meaning every monitor refresh shows a new page. However, if there's one tiny blurp and the gpu output takes a tiny hit, you'll get a refresh with a duplicate page, buffer is cleared and the next page is advanced, basically skipping a page. You'll see that as a stutter that's very visible in higher speed motions.

You can try and use v-sync, force a 1:1 ratio or play around with in-game fps settings.

zx128k

Reputable
Most stuttering is down to a bad overclock but it can be other things. Depends on what the OP considers as stuttering. I got stuttering while learning to dial in the RAM on my 4930k to 2400. It can also be down to a bad GPU overclock.

What is stuttering

What CAUSES STUTTERING...?! CPU/RAM overclocking

Example of GPU.
When I start up a game for some reason I experience a lot of stuttering as it transitions from menu to in-game. It does this with most games, I''m just using Battlefield as an example. In the power options I turned link state power management off and that seemed to fix it. But after turning my pc off/on again the problem has returned. Any suggestions on how to fix this issue??? I've figured it out. I just had to undervolt the card to stabilized the clock speed. I had to do the same thing with my vega 56 card.

As stated above there can be a number of reasons for stuttering.

spaceface25

Reputable
Jul 1, 2015
If stutters are the problem, then I agree that it's probably not a bottleneck at either end of the equation, but some other issue such as a driver issue or setting somewhere.

How much memory do you have? What speed it it?

Stutters can also be caused by throttling, so if you are having thermal issues, that can definitely be part of the problem if you are having moderate to severe drops in FPS, that can be accompanied by or translated into stuttering sometimes.

Is is actually stuttering, or micro stuttering, because they are different things.
I have 2 *8 (16) gb corsair vengeance sticks 1600mhz. I thought about getting 1866 but didn't know if that would make much of a difference as far as ram goes. Fps are staying around 30. It depends on what game . Tomb raider plays pretty well but others not so well. Forza 4 plays the best but I would think it would be more graphically intensive. It did auto set up to my pc specifics though. I haven't messed with graphics setting on either yet this morning.

spaceface25

Reputable
Jul 1, 2015
Most stuttering is down to a bad overclock but it can be other things. Depends on what the OP considers as stuttering. I got stuttering while learning to dial in the RAM on my 4930k to 2400. It can also be down to a bad GPU overclock.

What is stuttering

What CAUSES STUTTERING...?! CPU/RAM overclocking

Example of GPU.

As stated above there can be a number of reasons for stuttering.
I'll check these out in a little bit. Just starting the morning now. GPU isn't overclocked, only CPU, but I may try to lower the clock on the cpu and see if that helps.

1866mhz wouldn't make a difference in this case. Your 1600mhz sticks are fine for that platform. The AMOUNT was more important than the speed, unless you were running at a very low speed like 1066mhz because something was wrong or misconfigured or running at a fail safe default.

With 16GB of 1600mhz RAM, you should not be having any memory related problems. The stuttering is probably due to the overclock. Something is potentially likely fubared with your stability or thermal compliance somewhere. It's very, VERY possible, especially on that motherboard, that you are seeing VRM throttling causing the stuttering and you've been only monitoring thermal margin but not looking at motherboard VRM temperatures. Open up HWinfo and find the VRM temperatures for that board, IF it is listed, and see what is happening there. As I've already said before, this is not a very high quality board with a great VRM power delivery configuration for overclocking, so it's very likely your problems are stemming from that.

Getting a better motherboard, if you could find one used for a good price, might make that worth it, but honestly it's an investment that would probably be better put towards a newer platform no matter what unless you could find a heck of deal for very cheap on a really great board like a Sabertooth R2.0 or something similar. Any of these would be what you want to find, IF you decided you WANTED to find one. Used, of course. New, no way. WAY too costly.

(Be sure to check when looking for a motherboard that any of the models shown below are either 990fx, 990 or 970 chipsets. A Z170 Extreme6 for example, is not going to work with your FX processor, so, in this example, you want to look for the 990/990fx Extreme6.)

GA-990FXA-UD7
Extreme6
Extreme9
Fatal1ty 990FX Professional
Crosshair V Formula-Z
Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
GA-99FXA-UD5
MSI GD80V2
M5A99FX PRO R2.0
GA-99FXA-UD3
MSI GD65V2
990FX Killer
Extreme4
M5A99X EVO (R2.0 as well)
GA-990XA-UD3
990XA-GD55
GA-970A-UD3P
M5A97 or EVO or PRO (R.2 as well)
GA-970A-UD3
970 GAMING
970A SLI Krait (USB 3.1 supported)

spaceface25

Reputable
Jul 1, 2015
1866mhz wouldn't make a difference in this case. Your 1600mhz sticks are fine for that platform. The AMOUNT was more important than the speed, unless you were running at a very low speed like 1066mhz because something was wrong or misconfigured or running at a fail safe default.

With 16GB of 1600mhz RAM, you should not be having any memory related problems. The stuttering is probably due to the overclock. Something is potentially likely fubared with your stability or thermal compliance somewhere. It's very, VERY possible, especially on that motherboard, that you are seeing VRM throttling causing the stuttering and you've been only monitoring thermal margin but not looking at motherboard VRM temperatures. Open up HWinfo and find the VRM temperatures for that board, IF it is listed, and see what is happening there. As I've already said before, this is not a very high quality board with a great VRM power delivery configuration for overclocking, so it's very likely your problems are stemming from that.

Getting a better motherboard, if you could find one used for a good price, might make that worth it, but honestly it's an investment that would probably be better put towards a newer platform no matter what unless you could find a heck of deal for very cheap on a really great board like a Sabertooth R2.0 or something similar. Any of these would be what you want to find, IF you decided you WANTED to find one. Used, of course. New, no way. WAY too costly.

(Be sure to check when looking for a motherboard that any of the models shown below are either 990fx, 990 or 970 chipsets. A Z170 Extreme6 for example, is not going to work with your FX processor, so, in this example, you want to look for the 990/990fx Extreme6.)

GA-990FXA-UD7
Extreme6
Extreme9
Fatal1ty 990FX Professional
Crosshair V Formula-Z
Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
GA-99FXA-UD5
MSI GD80V2
M5A99FX PRO R2.0
GA-99FXA-UD3
MSI GD65V2
990FX Killer
Extreme4
M5A99X EVO (R2.0 as well)
GA-990XA-UD3
990XA-GD55
GA-970A-UD3P
M5A97 or EVO or PRO (R.2 as well)
GA-970A-UD3
970 GAMING
970A SLI Krait (USB 3.1 supported)
That is what I'm thinking. The oc on the cpu may be the problem. I'm going to set the PC back little by little and compare to see if this is the culprit. Thanks for your insight and the list of better compatible boards. Last night on one of the games my gpu all of the sudden shut down. PC was still on, fans, lights, etc. I had to soft reset for it to come back.

spaceface25

Reputable
Jul 1, 2015
Stuttering should not happen. Even my 4930k does not stutter with a 2060 in destiny 2. The fps is just lower but smooth as silk with the right graphic settings. I did have the 4930k running @ 4.5GHz and the DDR3 RAM @ 2400 which is a decent overclock and I have 6 cores and 12 threads. Your cpu I think, is 6 cores and 6 threads.

If I remember correctly the FX-6350 was available at the same time as the 4930k. Both 2013 but I think the 6300 was the end of 2012.
What in game monitoring do you use? I've been using the msi afterburner and rivatuner mostly for fps and GPU monitoring. Beside the GPU it has temp, a percentage, another percentage, mhz clock, something else with a w and another percentage. Do you know what all these values are? I think the first percentage is my power to the GPU? I may win the id10t award with this one.

zx128k

Reputable
What in game monitoring do you use? I've been using the msi afterburner and rivatuner mostly for fps and GPU monitoring. Beside the GPU it has temp, a percentage, another percentage, mhz clock, something else with a w and another percentage. Do you know what all these values are? I think the first percentage is my power to the GPU? I may win the id10t award with this one.

I use HWiNFO64 on a second monitor. When troubleshooting HWmonitor lacks information. With HWiNFO64 it will monitor CPU, motherboard temperatures including VRM's. It will also monitor GPU temps and information.

Remember stuttering can be caused by anything, including overclocking. I would reinstall the GPU drivers just in case they are corrupted in some way. Then retest. I have got stuttering from Base Clock overclocking and RAM overclocking. Also vRAM overheating on my 2080 because of dust. People also have issues that are not hardware related. Sometimes its normal, like new areas loading etc.

It's hard to troubleshoot. If you overclock your system, you may find that you get micro stuttering and fps issues but are fine at stock. With trfc on my ram at 260 I found that it past memtest86 but had issues with games and the gpu drivers crashing in windows 10. When pass stress test and everything. Setting 270 fix everything.

With games it can be one game or all of them. Hardware issues are likely going to effect everything.

With Control people were changing windows settings to fix the issue.

Given you are testing an overclock, its the first likely cause for the issue. You can test at stock to see if the stuttering goes away. If it does and then returns when you overclock the system again. You know that you need to make changes to the overclock.

Last edited:
Also, and I think I failed to mention this earlier, pretty sure nobody else mentioned it either, but you want to run "Sensors only" when you run HWinfo. Uncheck the "Summary" option. There is nothing in there of value anyhow really. Everything of value can be found in the "Sensors" window.

If there is a sensor of any kind on your system, whether it is onboard the motherboard, or the graphics card, or a whatever, HWinfo is the most likely of pretty much any utility out there to be able to pick it up and broadcast it's telemetry to the utility. VRMs, core temps, package temps, memory speed and timings, virtual memory usage, distance to TJ max (Thermal margin), graphics and GPU sensors, SSD and HDD data, it's all there. If another utility can access that data then HWinfo likely can too.

The only reason really to use something else, like Afterburner, is because HWinfo can't do what that program or programs like it can do in terms of making changes to fan behavior or memory/GPU frequency, etc. It is for monitoring only, but for monitoring, it is the wonka golden ticket.

I agree, in this case, with what 128k says regarding stuttering, as I said earlier. Overclocking, whether the CPU or graphics card, is OFTEN the cause. When it's not, it's usually related to storage or memory access problems. Micro stutters might be more related to some kind of V-sync setting, but there are, as mentioned, a variety of possible reasons why both kinds of stuttering can occur. The only way to really find it, is to set things to stock behavior to see if it still occurs and then if it doesn't start putting things back one at a time until it happens again.

Reactions: zx128k

spaceface25

Reputable
Jul 1, 2015
I clocked it back to stock and ran some benches and played some games, then clocked it up gradually and 4.4 is good. By stuttering, I think I was biased from the performance of the xbox one x. This machine won't do that I know but it has amazed me with it being older platform. The numbers I was looking at with msi afterburner and rivatuner I'm starting to think is the power to the gpu the next value is usage I believe. It fluctuates with the fps. Fps is staying at a steady 25 to 30 on rise of the tomb raider which I think maxes out at 60 anyways. May try to tinker around with the overclocking in the amd radeon app. I found out it doesn't like downloading content and playing games at the same time though. Should this be an issue or is it back to overclocking being the issue?

I would use Afterburner. It is literally the best GPU utility out there regardless of what brand or model of card you have. IF that is, you were going to do that.

Since you are already pushing the envelope with power delivery on that motherboard with your CPU overclock, I'd be very careful about stability with overclocking the GPU. Especially if you don't have an excellent power supply.

zx128k

Reputable
I clocked it back to stock and ran some benches and played some games, then clocked it up gradually and 4.4 is good. By stuttering, I think I was biased from the performance of the xbox one x. This machine won't do that I know but it has amazed me with it being older platform. The numbers I was looking at with msi afterburner and rivatuner I'm starting to think is the power to the gpu the next value is usage I believe. It fluctuates with the fps. Fps is staying at a steady 25 to 30 on rise of the tomb raider which I think maxes out at 60 anyways. May try to tinker around with the overclocking in the amd radeon app. I found out it doesn't like downloading content and playing games at the same time though. Should this be an issue or is it back to overclocking being the issue?

Multiplayer online games will be affected by downloading from the internet, especially if most of the bandwidth is consumed. So long as the fps is steady, you don't have big drops to single digits. Then there should not be an issue. You can reduce graphics settings to get 30-50fps which can be surprisingly playable.

spaceface25

Reputable
Jul 1, 2015
Thanks everyone for the input. That 4.4 clock was ok for a little while. Unstable and choppy with graphics in games. Tried to oc my already factory oc gpu only to go so far and crash. With all your insight and suggestions I've decided to clock back to 4.2ghz and leave the gpu auto oc and it is running smooth on everything I've thrown at it so far. Withing the hardware requirements, of course. Although, Assassins creed syndicate is free on epic and the minimum requirements are for a fx 6300. It is running pretty well on low settings. Haven't tried any higher yet. Thanks again. May look for a board cheap to do the overclocking on and build a new rig for my gaming and a side rig for tinkering. Thanks again. Until next time.

vortexredemption

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2013
I recently acquired an old mobo/CPU combo to play around with.
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 with an FX-6300 and 4x4Gb G.Skill Ares 1866 RAM.

CPB Disabled
Unlock Enabled
C&Q Enabled
C1E Enabled
SUM Enabled
C. Cont AUTO
C6 Enabled
HPC Disabled
APM Enabled

With a Base Clock of 233Mhz, vCore 1.4187v and a multiplier of 19.5 the CPU is stable at 4.42Ghz.
Stable enough to run Prime95 for 2 hours without an error and run Folding@Home for 2 days at maximum performance.

With a Base Clock of 233Mhz, vCore 1.4375 and a multiplier of 19.5 the CPU is stable at 4.54Ghz.

While the motherboard and CPU claim to support 1866Mhz RAM, the fine print indicates that this only works with two sticks (200x9.5). By increasing the Base Clock to 233mhz and using x8 as the multiplier, the RAM runs at 1864mhz with timings of 9-10-9-28, 37 and Command Rate of 2.

NB and HT are both running at 2600mhz.
I haven't made any changes to the NBcore or Memory voltages.

Last edited: