Question Fx 6300 Overheating and Fan is louder after thermal paste replacement.

eduardo.macias6547

Prominent
Oct 13, 2018
So my pc has been over heating for the past year. I have a Fx 6300 Stock with stock cpu cooler. It idles at 50-60c and while I game it gets to 82c and sometimes it shuts down. So I decided to replace thermal paste to see if it fixed the issue and to my surprise. It didn't. It made things worse. My cpu fan is extremely loud and annoying after changing thermal paste, And just a quick note temps stayed the same. When I removed the cpu cooler the thermal paste was all dry and was like a powder. Please help.

Lutfij

Titan
This would be a good time to pass on a full specs list. List them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Include the age of the PSU as well. Then pass on an image of what your application of the thermal paste looks like. We will also need to know the brand for your thermal paste.

So my pc has been over heating for the past year. I have a Fx 6300 Stock with stock cpu cooler. It idles at 50-60c and while I game it gets to 82c and sometimes it shuts down. So I decided to replace thermal paste to see if it fixed the issue and to my surprise. It didn't. It made things worse. My cpu fan is extremely loud and annoying after changing thermal paste, And just a quick note temps stayed the same. When I removed the cpu cooler the thermal paste was all dry and was like a powder. Please help.
AMD FX runs hot, stock cooler won't keep it cool. You can get a new CPU cooler like the Freezer 34 eSports DUO for 40$. Which thermal paste are you using? The best is Grizzly Kryonaut.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
None of which is right. It's an FX. They do not have thermal readers on the chips like Intels, so the software has nothing to read. The only sure ways of telling temps on any FX cpu is with AMD Overdrive or Coretemp set for thermal margin.

Thermal margins are not an exact number. What they are is a representation of how much room is left. So TM of 40ish is great, loads in the 30's is a light load so still good. 20's is getting warm under heavier loads, 10's is definitely getting to need attention and 0 means you need to do something because you are into throttle/shutdown range. The exact number doesn't matter, it's the relationship and range compared to 0 that matters.

50-60 idle is bunk, as is 82 gaming, I've seen plenty of FX reported idle of 8-10°C and gaming loads in the 20's. Physically impossible numbers and totally inaccurate.

So run Overdrive and see what your thermal margin is at, at idle and game loads. That'll tell you if your cooling is sufficient or lacking. Idle should be well above 20ish and loads from 10+. Anything closer and I'd agree your cooling needs work.

The paste was most likely Arctic Silver 5, which has a cure time before it dries out. This isn't a problem as the liquid in the paste doesn't do the thermal transfer, it's all the silicates and minerals in the liquid that does. That doesn't change if the liquid is dried out. After it dries, it's exactly like the silicon caulk in your bathtub, dry but sealed. But if that seal gets broken, which is very easy to do even by just cleaning the fan, then it's done. Never stick back again and temps skyrocket.

At which point you need to properly clean both cpu and heatsink base and re-apply new paste.

Last edited:
Reactions: brewcrew650

eduardo.macias6547

Prominent
Oct 13, 2018
This would be a good time to pass on a full specs list. List them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Include the age of the PSU as well. Then pass on an image of what your application of the thermal paste looks like. We will also need to know the brand for your thermal paste.
CPU: Fx 6300
Motherboard: asus m5a78l-m plus
Ram: 8gb ddr3 1600mhz 8x1
SSD/HDD: Wd1tb hard drive
GPU: Powercolor rx560 2gb
PSU: (not sure)
Chassis: Phanteks p400s
This is a prebuilt pc. And I don't want to open the pc again. But I used a dot of thermal paste. The thermal paste I used was Arctic silver 5.

eduardo.macias6547

Prominent
Oct 13, 2018
None of which is right. It's an FX. They do not have thermal readers on the chips like Intels, so the software has nothing to read. The only sure ways of telling temps on any FX cpu is with AMD Overdrive or Coretemp set for thermal margin.

Thermal margins are not an exact number. What they are is a representation of how much room is left. So TM of 40ish is great, loads in the 30's is a light load so still good. 20's is getting warm under heavier loads, 10's is definitely getting to need attention and 0 means you need to do something because you are into throttle/shutdown range. The exact number doesn't matter, it's the relationship and range compared to 0 that matters.

50-60 idle is bunk, as is 82 gaming, I've seen plenty of FX reported idle of 8-10°C and gaming loads in the 20's. Physically impossible numbers and totally inaccurate.

So run Overdrive and see what your thermal margin is at, at idle and game loads. That'll tell you if your cooling is sufficient or lacking. Idle should be well above 20ish and loads from 10+. Anything closer and I'd agree your cooling needs work.

The paste was most likely Arctic Silver 5, which has a cure time before it dries out. This isn't a problem as the liquid in the paste doesn't do the thermal transfer, it's all the silicates and minerals in the liquid that does. That doesn't change if the liquid is dried out. After it dries, it's exactly like the silicon caulk in your bathtub, dry but sealed. But if that seal gets broken, which is very easy to do even by just cleaning the fan, then it's done. Never stick back again and temps skyrocket.

At which point you need to properly clean both cpu and heatsink base and re-apply new paste.
So you think I should reapply thermal paste again? I use arctic silver 5.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I think you should make sure the cpu and heatsink base are nice and shiny new looking after a good scrub with a dab of isopropyl alcohol and some coffee filters first. Get rid of any and all traces of any prior paste. Then a grain of rice sized dollup of paste dead center and remount the cooler. If any old paste remains, even a thin haze, it can interfere with the seal the paste makes, and that'll be reflected in temps. Also, if that AS5 is anywhere close to a year old (or more), it needs replacing too. That's the drawback to AS5, dries out with contact to air or heat.