Question FX 6300 overheating when applied voltage

Jan 8, 2022
Hello, i'm new in this forum. Now i using FX6300, ASUS M5A97 R2.0, GSkill 8x2 1600MHz CL9 kit (Blue color), Xigmatek 500W non-plus and Cooler Master T4 tower cooler. My thermal paste 1 years old.

I've been using 4.2 GHz with auto voltage and 1866 MHz CL10 RAM OC for 5 years. But new online games smashing my CPU. So i can't swap platform because the money problems.

My problem is when i trying give some voltages like 1.4V at 4.5GHz, it's working good in Prime95. But if i try playing games CPU It overheats and shuts down at 80 degrees. I have 8CM fans on the case cover, 14CM on the top, 12CM in the back and 12CM in the front.

What can i do? Some people said that the quality of silicone is not good, but I don't think it will have that much effect.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hello, i'm new in this forum. Now i using FX6300, ASUS M5A97 R2.0, GSkill 8x2 1600MHz CL9 kit (Blue color), Xigmatek 500W non-plus and Cooler Master T4 tower cooler. My thermal paste 1 years old.

I've been using 4.2 GHz with auto voltage and 1866 MHz CL10 RAM OC for 5 years. But new online games smashing my CPU. So i can't swap platform because the money problems.

My problem is when i trying give some voltages like 1.4V at 4.5GHz, it's working good in Prime95. But if i try playing games CPU It overheats and shuts down at 80 degrees. I have 8CM fans on the case cover, 14CM on the top, 12CM in the back and 12CM in the front.

What can i do? Some people said that the quality of silicone is not good, but I don't think it will have that much effect.
leave it like it was, 4.2 going to 4.5 is making it overheat so you can't do that your gaining so little with that old processor going up 0.3 so no reason to do it.

Jan 8, 2022
leave it like it was, 4.2 going to 4.5 is making it overheat so you can't do that your gaining so little with that old processor going up 0.3 so no reason to do it.
I used it for 1 week without realizing that it was not stable. It was feeding a little better than usual. My graphics card is GTX 960 2GB

Jan 8, 2022
Good Morning
Since you didn't tell us what cpu cooler you are using I will assume you are using the stock cooler.

If so replacing that cooler with say a cooler master like this
https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-RR-212S-20PK-R1-Contact-Silencio/dp/B07H25DYM3

would be the 1st place to start.

Cooler Master T4 tower cooler

Jan 8, 2022
Could look and see in your bios if it allows you to up the turbo boost.

On my wife's old fx 6300 on a Gigabyte 970 sli gaming I set the tubo boost higher with very little extra voltage.
No, thats doesn't working. And also i tryed offset voltage.

Possibly your motherboard vrm's are overheating, a common problem with cheaper FX motherboards.

My motherboard is not completely bare. There are VRM coolers. (You can search for the model on Google.)

Like every year, this time I gave up. Sometimes it just doesn't happen.