[SOLVED] Fx 6300 question

shazzh104

Honorable
Jan 24, 2018
Hello. I need some help about my pc setup.
My gpu gtx 1050ti 4gb manli recently died so I am looking for a replacement.

I got m5a97 mobo am 3+, 8gb ram ddr3, fx 6300, PSU 600w raidmax cobra.

I was wondering if I could pair gtx 1060 6gb or rtx 580 8gb with my setup, keep in mind I will be replacing everything but gpu by the end of the year. How heavy the bottleneck is going to be with fx 6300 and those GPUs?

I need this setup to run WoW BFA and Shadowlands expansion untill I change other parts of my pc.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Opinions differ, always do. You can run a 2080ti with a FX-6300 just fine. At 4k. It'd not be much different to a 1050ti at 1080p.

Cpu is amount of fps. Gpu got nothing to do with that at all. The cpu pre-renders every frame, the amount of frames it can complete in a second is your fps.

The gpu finish renders the frames according to detail levels and resolution. Whether it lives upto the cpu set limit or fails depends on the gpu, the details and resolution.

Cpu does not 'hold back' or 'bottleneck' a gpu, or vice versa. Cpu puts out whatever it puts out, according to the dictates of the game and game code. Gpu just paints each frame on screen. In some games it's strong enough to max out the frames, in some its not. Doesn't change...

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Calculating CPU bottleneck is hard to do. Too many variables like the game, the settings, the screen resolution, number of players, etc. But I suspect you'll be in the 25-30% bottleneck range with the FX 6300 trying to keep up with a GTX 1060 6GB. Maybe slightly less with the RX 580, maybe not...

However, it won't matter, will it? You're planning on upgrading the rest of the system. I'd say go for it and enjoy the added graphics performance that you'll get.

Reactions: shazzh104
I agree with the above. Whether the CPU will hold back the GPU depends on the game.

What I will say is that my brother upgraded from an overclocked FX6300 to a Ryzen 5 2600 and despite his weak GTX960, he got better framerates overall, indicating the FX6300 was limiting the GTX960.

I suspect a 1060/rx580 would not be a good pairing with a FX6300. You really need an upgrade.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Opinions differ, always do. You can run a 2080ti with a FX-6300 just fine. At 4k. It'd not be much different to a 1050ti at 1080p.

Cpu is amount of fps. Gpu got nothing to do with that at all. The cpu pre-renders every frame, the amount of frames it can complete in a second is your fps.

The gpu finish renders the frames according to detail levels and resolution. Whether it lives upto the cpu set limit or fails depends on the gpu, the details and resolution.

Cpu does not 'hold back' or 'bottleneck' a gpu, or vice versa. Cpu puts out whatever it puts out, according to the dictates of the game and game code. Gpu just paints each frame on screen. In some games it's strong enough to max out the frames, in some its not. Doesn't change fps, just limits the amount of finished frames painted on screen.

Disabling cpu bound affects in game like floating damage, object viewing distances etc can raise fps as the cpu does not have to quantify and place the objects in the frame. Lowering gpu detail levels can raise fps upto the cpu set limit, but not beyond.

A 1060/580 vrs the prior 1050ti is going to do 2 things. Allow better fps and detail settings in graphics heavy games and allow for DSR in graphics simple games for a much better picture without sacrificing fps.

Forget the word bottleneck exists. Stronger equipment simply means the ability to do more, not that any weaker equipment will hold it back.

Reactions: shazzh104
Solution

box o rocks

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2012

Cpu does not 'hold back' or 'bottleneck' a gpu, or vice versa. Cpu puts out whatever it puts out, according to the dictates of the game and game code. Gpu just paints each frame on screen. In some games it's strong enough to max out the frames, in some its not. Doesn't change fps, just limits the amount of finished frames painted on screen.

Disabling cpu bound affects in game like floating damage, object viewing distances etc can raise fps as the cpu does not have to quantify and place the objects in the frame. Lowering gpu detail levels can raise fps upto the cpu set limit, but not beyond.

A 1060/580 vrs the prior 1050ti is going to do 2 things. Allow better fps and detail settings in graphics heavy games and allow for DSR in graphics simple games for a much better picture without sacrificing fps.

Forget the word bottleneck exists. Stronger equipment simply means the ability to do more, not that any weaker equipment will hold it back.
So... when an app (i.e. MSI Afterburner) displays FPS, is it displaying the GPU output or the CPU output?
What current GPU would you choose for someone gaming with an i7-870? Is the RX 5500 XT too much?