FX-6300 really worth it over i3 3220?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanteIsOnFire

Honorable
Sep 26, 2012
Pretty much just what the title says. I know the ivy 3 has the advantages of a good upgrade path, multithreading in the cores, great single threaded performance, and a great low price without needing to use an aftermarket cooler to get good temps. Works better on most games as they are coded better for intel (at least the ones I play), lower power consumption (but doesn't it use power from the psu? confused here, help)

FX: larger l3 cache (not sure what that means) extra cores for better multitasking, improvement in gaming over the i3 (according to benchmarks), overclockable but requires a good aftermarket heatsink which means I might have to sacrifice a bit for the gpu. May not work well in cpu heavy games...etc...high power usage...which might piss off my mom, lol.

I play cpu heavy games like wow, rift, tera, gw, LOTR: Online, skyrim, planetside 2, bf3. Frankly my only PC gaming experience was on my amd e-450 APU laptop on 800x600 at lowest settings on wow and once on my friend's athlon x3 hd 5770 PC during a scII lan party (which was like freaking awesome.) Sick of consoles, moving on.

All useless bs aside, what do you think is better, has a better resale value, and will last me a few years?

Solution
FX would perform better in online games since player physics are handled by the cpu [bf3 multi player, planetside 2, most online games that have more than 2 main threads] (e.g. calculating where people are moving on the map etc) while in offline games the i3 and FX are a close match

FX will be better with multiscreen but the performance diff is likely less than 1% unless you're doing CPU intensive stuff at the same time (streaming, video encoding, recording etc)

51123.png

51124.png

batman.png

DanteIsOnFire

Honorable
Sep 26, 2012

Would multitasking like running 2 monitors and having a game on one and something else on the other cripple performance of the i3? Is the fx better in that? I need more reasons.

You'd probably do better with the i3 with those games. Both should last for a while but more games will start to use more cores so depending on long you'd want to keep the CPU and what you expect from it, it might be good to go with the FX.

The games you listed pretty much all favor intel slightly except for BF3.

FX would perform better in online games since player physics are handled by the cpu [bf3 multi player, planetside 2, most online games that have more than 2 main threads] (e.g. calculating where people are moving on the map etc) while in offline games the i3 and FX are a close match

FX will be better with multiscreen but the performance diff is likely less than 1% unless you're doing CPU intensive stuff at the same time (streaming, video encoding, recording etc)

51123.png

51124.png

batman.png

borderlands2.png

crysis2.png

dirt.png

farcry2.png

metro.png

Solution

Kamen_BG

Distinguished
The FX 6300 is the better choice and it doesn't really need an aftermarket cooler, neither does it consume a lot of power.
Just go with the stock cooler unless you're looking for 4+ GHZ overclocking and the power consumption won't really be that scary either.

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
The AMD FX-6300 would be the better CPU of the two overall imo. I mean there are plenty of areas where the i3 3220 comes out and shines but when using a Desktop PC one generally likes to do many things at once and having 3 modules instead of 2 cores with Hyperthreading is much more beneficial for that.

What I mean is simply using several desktop applications at once. Say you're downloading movies/apps/games unparing them and then unraring them while watching a 1080p movie, surfing the web and chatting over Facebook and/or IRC.

Overall the AMD system would provide a better experience and lets be honest... having slowdowns during general usage is the worst.

Slow scrolling of webpages, text input lag when trying to post on forums or when chatting. Page is not responding and messages from Windows asking to end the application etc. Just really annoying.

Another vote for the 6300 fro me. I don't consider power usage to be a real world issue. Generally speaking its not going to make a noticeable difference to your power bill unless you go from a weak CPU and GPU to a top end set up your just not going to notice the difference in the bill.
If you have green considerations then that's fine but for most people the extra power usage is really a non issue.

Mactronix :)

Status
Not open for further replies.