FX 6300 temps & and new cpu cooler help

rishi_1

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
Today i was playing a bit of battlefield 4 and farcry 3. After sometime the CPU fan was damn loud and was vibrating like hell.

I checked HW monitor and found my cpu temps @ 71 C. :(

My rig is around 9 months old now.

When i just got my rig , i had run prime 95 and my temps never went over 62 C.

Although ambient temps have changed during the past 9 months , its summer time now .
Maybe around 35 c ambient.

So i planned to get a TX3 EVO, that is 139 mm , tall .

How do I measure my cabinet ?Do I measure it from the motherboard base ?

gumbykid

Honorable
Jan 15, 2014
^ That's how you measure.

For your heat issue, it sounds like your thermal paste has dried up. Buying a new cooler will be an improvement anyways, but if you wanted to save money you would clean all the dust out and apply new thermal paste.

rishi_1

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
LOL , its really that hot in the afternoon

Also I made a big mistake by getting a rather tiny case , although it supports atx , its still too cramped , along with a AMD CPU and HD7790. Even the cable management is poor since there is hardly any space.

The tx3 evo might just fit inside the case.
Should i just get a TX3 evo , or do I have to change the case and the cooler both.

gumbykid

Honorable
Jan 15, 2014
I understand the heat issue. Here its currently 38C. Gets up to 49C :l I just close my windows and turn the air on.

Personally I wouldn't buy a new case unless you have extra change in your pocket. If you were to buy one it would be best if it were high quality ($80-90) to make it worthwhile. Just do the measurements again with the tx3 evo.

rishi_1

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
I re-measured it , looks like it will fit.

Can surgical spirit be used instead of isopropyl alcohol. Searched a lot of medical stores in my area , nobody has got a clue about it :/

gumbykid

Honorable
Jan 15, 2014
So few people know what surgical spirit is. It's not the same as isopropyl so I don't know how it will hold up. Because SS is a mixture of ethyl alcohol and isopropyl, it should have similar results, however it also doesn't have a set ratio or % of purity so that could change things. If you're having trouble finding isopropyl try a locksmiths shop (people have reported that they often carry it, not sure how accurate it is). To be safe you could also purchase ArtiClean (basically has the same effect as alcohol).

Personally I would try the SS with a q-tip and start off with very small amounts. I don't see what could go wrong, but don't put the liability on me :p

You don't always need to use a liquid either, it's not necessary, and it's best not to use it if you don't know what's in it. As for surgical spirit, it should work. Just make sure you have a couple case fans, too, because an air cooler won't do much if it's circulating the same hot air. Dust your case too, that can be a major factor, especially if you have pets.

When I clean thermal paste, I use a bit of 90% isopropyl alcohol on a coffee filter or shammy. Just make sure you don't bend any pins or get paste between them.