Fx-6300 to ?

jgerstle88

Prominent
Nov 16, 2017
I currently have and fx-6300, gtx 1060, 16g ddr3 ram, 500w psu. I am looking to upgrade my processor, note I cannot save enough money to buy any ryzen due to the fact I would have to get a new MB and Ddr4 ram so 200$cpu would end up costing me over 600$ for cpu, mb, and ram and that isnt happening. So what fx processor would be best for me to upgrade to?

Solution
There are 3 problems with that build suggestion: A) that actually reduces his system memory (current system has 16GB); B) RAM should always be purchased in 2-stick kits to take advantage of dual-channel speeds; & C) the RAM speed is way too low, Ryzen CPUs lose performance unless you use faster RAM (should be at least DDR4-2800, if not 3000 or 3200). That adds another $80 USD to the build price at a minimum, so well above his budget.

Although it's not a great upgrade anymore, if he's that limited on budget (as he stated, he can't afford a Ryzen upgrade), he get an FX-8350 or 8370 for under $150 USD (https://pcpartpicker.com/products/cpu/#s=23&sort=price&page=1): increases him from 3C/6T to 4C/8T, & boosts his base & Turbo...

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Unless you can get a CPU dirt-cheap, in general you're not going to get a huge amount of performance gain, even with the top level CPU available on AM3.

The bang-for-your-buck is going to be poor, though I haven't really looked much at AM3 prices in quite some time.

If you can live with your current performance, I'd say wait until you've saved up the money. Plus, there are people on this forum who are very good at finding a combo of parts for less than you'd expect.

CooLWoLF

Distinguished

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 1200 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($40.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Patriot - Viper Elite 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($72.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $213.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-16 09:30 EST-0500

You are only a few dollars short of a platform upgrade to Ryzen.

spdragoo

Expert
Ambassador
There are 3 problems with that build suggestion: A) that actually reduces his system memory (current system has 16GB); B) RAM should always be purchased in 2-stick kits to take advantage of dual-channel speeds; & C) the RAM speed is way too low, Ryzen CPUs lose performance unless you use faster RAM (should be at least DDR4-2800, if not 3000 or 3200). That adds another $80 USD to the build price at a minimum, so well above his budget.

Although it's not a great upgrade anymore, if he's that limited on budget (as he stated, he can't afford a Ryzen upgrade), he get an FX-8350 or 8370 for under $150 USD (https://pcpartpicker.com/products/cpu/#s=23&sort=price&page=1): increases him from 3C/6T to 4C/8T, & boosts his base & Turbo clocks. And, they're supported by his motherboard (https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-78LMT-USB3-rev-60#support-cpu).

Solution

CooLWoLF

Distinguished

1) The ram can almost assuredly be OC'd to 2400 after a bios update.
2) He can add an additional stick of 8gb down the line
3) This system will absolutely be faster than his current setup, even with less ram

spdragoo

Expert
Ambassador
1) DDR4-2400 is still slow for a Ryzen-based system (they really do perform better at the faster speeds).
2) Even with DDR2, let alone DDR3 & DDR4, your chances of being able to run in dual-channel mode are very hit-and-miss, even if you buy "identical" single sticks. That's why it's better to buy them in a paired set to begin with.
3) As long as the application isn't RAM-limited, then yes, that might be true. But once he hits his RAM limit, he'll be limited by how fast the pagefile can respond...& even his FX-6300 is more than fast enough to be stuck back in idle speeds if it's waiting for the hard drive to respond.

jgerstle88

Prominent
Nov 16, 2017
Thank you for all answers but im not going to OC anything and as stated above im not going to lower my system ram. Also if I were to upgrade to ryzen the 3 would eventually cost me more in long run when I buy more ram and upgrade cpu again down the road at least of I were to get an 8370 ill still have ample time to buy ryzen as more and more come out and the used to be top line or mid will hit my budget down the road. Thank You again for all advice

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
It's going to cost you more in the long run to throw away money on an AM3 based processor, then have to throw out that AND everything else when you want to upgrade.

Anything you spend on the existing platform is going to be wasted money.

jgerstle88

Prominent
Nov 16, 2017

Im fine with more money in the long run, because I will have more. What I am worried about is now performance.

TRENDING THREADS