FX 6300 vs FX 6350 Stock cooler

R3Qu13m

Reputable
Oct 3, 2015
Hi, i saw that the FX 6350 is basically a factory overclocked FX 6300.

I was about to get a FX 6300 and overclock it to FX 6350 settings myself, but then i saw that the stock cooler isn't the same.

Is the difference in stock cooler worth the price? Can i run a FX 6300 at 3.9GHz 125watts with the original cooler of should i get an after market one?

And if i have to buy another cooler, what would be the best option in your opinion: non OC FX6350 with stock cooler, or OC FX6300 with appropriate cooler?

Thanks for your time.

Solution
R3Qu13mm - the 6350 has overinflated stock voltages to ensure stability.

The 6300 has significantly less stock voltage & every 6300 build I've done (& that's in double figures) has hit 4ghz+ easily with no voltage increase at all.

Cooler wise €32 will get you an evo 212 from Amazon & you'll rarely see temps of 50c with that.
There are cheaper/smaller coolers that will still do a good enough job.

Depends really what case & motherboard you were considering buying??
6300 with an aftermarket cooler mate would be best.

You'll hit 6350 speeds with less voltage & less heat.
The 6350 stock cooler is not that much better than the 6300 one - it has 2 extra heatpipes but the same little noisy fan.

What country are you??

R3Qu13m

Reputable
Oct 3, 2015
Alright thanks, i am in France.

How much do i have to invest for a decent aftermarket cooler?

edit: how comes it will have less voltage & heat? i thought they were the same material oO

I am using a FX6300 with the stock cooler with no problems. But, I am not overclocked and use this computer for internet browsing, watching recorded TV, listening to music, etc. No gaming. But others on this forum have said that the stock 6300 cooler is barely adequate at best. I do keep the inside of the computer case and fans clean (reverse 1.5 hp Shop Vac blowing air out of the nozzel).

How well you can oc is determined more by the quality of the chip than the cooler.
My guess is that the FX-6350 will have a better quality chip.
What is your motherboard?
You will need a better than average motherboard to be able to OC a FX6 or 8.

I might forget about either stock cooler and plan on a $30 tower type cooler with a 120mm fan.

R3Qu13mm - the 6350 has overinflated stock voltages to ensure stability.

The 6300 has significantly less stock voltage & every 6300 build I've done (& that's in double figures) has hit 4ghz+ easily with no voltage increase at all.

Cooler wise €32 will get you an evo 212 from Amazon & you'll rarely see temps of 50c with that.
There are cheaper/smaller coolers that will still do a good enough job.

Depends really what case & motherboard you were considering buying??

Solution

Rookie_MIB

Distinguished
The answer is..... depends on the actual silicon you get. Sorry, there's no way to know without buying and getting your hands on the actual CPU and seeing what it's capable of. The thing with the FX6350 is that it is still clocked with respect to warranty and longevity by AMD. Obviously, they don't want you to get it, and have it die within a week. So, it will still be conservatively clocked in that regard.

The question though is, as always, different CPUs even in the same binning might be better or worse than each other. So - you could get a 'good silicon' FX6300 which will OC to the moon, or you could get a 'bad silicon' FX6350 which will only give you +200mhz. You could get a 'good silicon FX6350 that overclocks to the moon. You just don't know.

I have an i5-4670k in my rig at home with a Hyper 212 Evo, and no matter what I've tried, I keep crashing out at 4.2ghz. I've tried voltages, multipliers, everything. Even the temps aren't too high (mid 60s under stress testing), but then BSOD. It just won't go higher. It's happy as a pig in mud at 4.1ghz.

That being said, when it comes to overclocking, aftermarket coolers are significantly better than stock coolers by a pretty wide margin. If your case will fit it, the Hyper 212 is an amazing bang for the buck ($30 or so). Now, if you're not going to OC it, the stock cooler will be fine.

tldr; final oc-ability depends on the chip. aftermarket cooler is best (hyper 212 recommended), no oc? keep the stock cooler.

R3Qu13m

Reputable
Oct 3, 2015
MOBO: AM3+ MSI 970 GAMING
CPU: AM3 plus AMD FX 6350 - Black Edition / FX 6300 Black Edition
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 750 Ti Black Edition OC - 2 Go
RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE 2 x 4 Go DDR3 1600 MHz CAS 9
HDD: 3.5 Seagate Desktop HDD - 1 To (Barracuda 7200.14 series)
SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300 - 240 Go
Case: Advance X11
PSU: Seasonic S12II - 430W

This is the build i am thinking of using right now.

Could a FX 6350 that i'd "undervolt" be a cheaper solution? I am really strapped for cash right now so every 10€ i can save is welcomed ^^

Thanks very much for your time and expertise, really appreciate it. :)

^ what's the bestprice difference between the 6300 & 6350 mate ??
I've just checked on amazon.fr & the 6350 Ia near €30 more than the 6300 - that's just not worth it at all .

The 6350 is not better quality than the 6300 - I'm absolutely adamant that there is no binning process done on any and CPU's apart from the 9*** series & maybe the 8370 (although that is also doubtful IMO)
Also I wouldn't buy vengeance ram - if you ever want to upgrade to 4 sticks the stupid heatsinks make it impossible with most aftermarket coolers.

Corsair xms3 , gskill ripjaw or Kingston hyperx is just as good & normally cheaper.

Also board wise the MSI gamingbis generally overpriced imo
The gigabyte 970a-ud3p is a better board & normally cheaper, if you're that tight on budget the gigabyte 970a-ds3p will also run a 6300 easily.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
To tell you the truth I wouldn't even consider overclocking on a Stock cooler, FX chips go from nothing to Overheat very easy. If you have decent sized Case then look at a Hyper 212+ or Evo, you can pick them up on Ebay for around $25.

R3Qu13m

Reputable
Oct 3, 2015
I am looking at 112,49€ for FX 6300 and 134,99€ for FX 6350 on the site i plan on buying all my parts (most parts are like 5€ more expensive than best deal on amazon, some are cheaper, but with shiping cost it will all cost less in the end).

^ already guessed that mate.

Change the board to this -€17 cheaper
You'll get 4ghz on this board easily at stock voltage as it has insanely good voltage regulation

http://www.materiel.net/carte-mere-socket-am3-/gigabyte-ga-970a-ud3p-96691.html

Stick with the 6300 & add this cooler which is the best 92mm air cooler around(that is an insanely good price which is why they're low on stock)

http://www.materiel.net/radiateur-pour-processeur/raijintek-aidos-93766.html

Stick with the vengeance ram - at that price it can't be beat.
Don't like the 750ti personally - I think it's a weak card but if you're on a budget :-/

R3Qu13m

Reputable
Oct 3, 2015
Wow, thanks man, awesomely complete answer! Really appreciate it; i'll take any recomandation you have for a better GPU that'd stay in a decent price range. Btw do you think my PSU will be enough for OC? I have under 300 watts estimate with no OC so i figured 430W should be enough, but not sure.

edit: sorry for the delay in answering, had to walk away from computer for a bit; i am going off again right now, but i'll be sure to check your potential recomandation for GPU; is aftermarket cooler sold with thermal paste or should i buy some aside? I read that arctic silver 5 is the one to go, if you have any thought on that aswell i'd be glad to hear them. Thank you very much again, that is really nice of you to go out of your way to find me a better deal on the MOBO and answering all my questions so quickly and in such a clear way. Have a wonderful evening mate, catch you later. =)

no problemo mate,
the aidos comes with a sachet of paste which is enough for 2 installs- its good quality no need to buy any.
the seasonic 430w isnt going to struggle,Id estimate a 6300@4ghz with a 750ti would absolutely max out at 250w which wont happen in real world terms.

gpu wise I would absolutely 100% try & squeeze a gtx 950 or r7 370 in budget if you can manage it
ther is not a lot performance wise between them.
the 950 is maybe 5% faster but 20 euro more expensive.
seeing as the gigabyte motherboard saves you 17 euro that 370 should be doable in budget now??

http://www.materiel.net/carte-graphique/zotac-geforce-gtx-950-2-go-118975.html
http://www.materiel.net/carte-graphique/sapphire-radeon-r7-370-dual-x-oc-2-go-117033.html

theyre both a fairly big step up from the 750ti mate

I would also take the z3 plus over that case you chose mate,its 3 euro more expensive but is a far far better case imo
http://www.materiel.net/boitier-pc/zalman-z3-plus-noir-96231.html

st3v30

Admirable
Maybe if you dont get cooler now and add it later but get better GPU now it is better investment.
You can add cooler anytime, so i think you should invest that money in better GPU.
GTX 950 is great budget gaming card with, bit graphic settings tweak you can play most games at 60 fps or near it in 1080p.

R3Qu13m

Reputable
Oct 3, 2015
Thank mate, i was a bit hesitating on the case aswell so a very welcomed advice once again ^^

I think i'll go for the r7 370.

So in the end i just checked : if i go for FX6300+ventirad i check out for 680,84 €; if i go with the FX6350 without ventirad i check out for 683,35 €.

I am tempted to go for the 6350 for the simple reason that i am already too late and they are out of stock of the Raijintek Aidos and i am not sure i feel like waiting for them to ressuply. ^^

edit: So my final question i guess would be : if i end up getting the FX6350; do you think i can put it down to 95W and get the same performance from an OCed 6300? Like, what would be the difference between FX6300 OCed to 3.9 GHz with stock W and FX6350 with stock 3.9GHz and "underwatted" at 95W?

I would absolutely 100% still go 6300 & a cooler mate .
http://www.materiel.net/radiateur-pour-processeur/cooler-master-hyper-tx3-evo-70598.html
http://www.materiel.net/achat/themis/

If you go with the 6350 & stock cooler within a few weeks you'll find yourself wishing you could quieten the system down (all stock d coolers are incredibly noisy - I NEVER use them & have a drawer literally full of the things)

The tx3 evo is not quite as good as the aidos , the themis is much much better - the best sub €50 tower cooler there is

I know that puts the cost €7 over a stock 6350 but its absolutely 100% worth it.The difference is temps around 50c & pretty much silence under full load as opposed to 65c temps & a lot of noise.

R3Qu13m

Reputable
Oct 3, 2015
Thanks mate, i'll see the day i buy it all what i can get with what i have left in therms of money. 50c vs 65c sounds pretty appealing indeed; i don't care about the noise though. But yeah i guess i'll do the investement right away for the cooler.

Otherwise, even though i won't get the FX6350, i'd still love to know if indeed 6300 OC = 6350 with watts diminished :p Or do the factory setting hurt the thing and prevent it from working under 125w ever again? I know i am knowledge greedy, but i just never quite get enough. haha

Anyway, thanks for all your answers bro, i'll let you know how it goes in the end for me. Take care ;)

Sne chip mate - you can tinker with voltages on either of them to your hearts content.

6300 tends to come with stock voltage of around 1.33v,6350 is normally overvolted at around 1.38v.

This is why I say and don't bin the higher clocked chips properly if at all.

You can get a 6300 up to 4ghz 99 % of the time on that stock 1.33v - that means its a 6350 then but with less power draw & less heat.

Vice versa its 99% certain that you could undervolt the 6350 to 1.33v exactly the same.

The reason I always say go with the 6300 is because its an easy overclocker without touching voltages & on that ud3p you'll likely hit 4.2-4.3ghz just by increasing the multiplier.

What your paying for extra on the 6350 is something that takes just 3 clicks in bios settings on the 6300 & a ever so slightly better cooler - still not a good cooler though.