FX-6300 vs I5 4440 with GTX 960 combo?

Abhishek Nair

Reputable
Dec 25, 2014
Guys need some help here.Im planning a pc build and came across this -》

1.FX-6300 and gtx 960

Vs

2.I5-4440 and gtx 960

I know the i5's gotta stronger single core performance but if i get the FX i could ge an SSD.

senseijtitus

Honorable
Go for the FX-6300 + GTX960 + SSD. This will be a better deal for you if the main intent is gaming and you want the capabilities of an SSD on your system.

SSD will not be a substantial boost in system performance. But will help faster boot up of windows and loading up programs faster. It could also help the processor in faster instruction processing since data transfer rate of SSD is greater that a mechanical HDD.

But if you can purchase the SSD later on that would also be okay since i5 is a very good processor as well & can perform good in games. But then again, games use GPU more than CPU. Which ever processor you choose, will work without any problem. Both have a little performance difference in different scenarios. But as far as I know, its not noticeable.

senseijtitus

Honorable

If the OP is not OCing, then there is no need for any Aftermarket cooler. OP can also go with a low cost Mobo like a GA-78LMT-USB3. Will work pretty well.

Besides, 6300 is the most cool running chip of the fx series.

Abhishek Nair

Reputable
Dec 25, 2014
Hey guys thnx for that quick response.well according to all of you i could go with the FX but Even without the SSD my HDD can contribute a lot for the i5 and 960 and off course that SSD could help a lot in booting speed ect. The i5 will help more into gaming and single threaded applications.What do you guys think?

Abhishek Nair

Reputable
Dec 25, 2014
Yep @RCFprod the 4460 is in my budget but its not worth the extra cash since there is a minimal diffrence.Pretty much all the same expect that 100 mhz boost in the core clocks & yes im also planning the i5. (Guys please lets not go into the INTEL VS AMD thing,lets just avoid it.I would say both are equally good in diffrent aspects of technology!)

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Whats the price of the 960? R9 280x is better and i think its cheaper now not sure, depending on model i guess. Knowing that could help improve elsewhere and i do agree an i5 is stronger and will be with you longer than a 6300 would give, unless you overclock.

Abhishek Nair

Reputable
Dec 25, 2014
The retail price of the 960 is 200-210$.Im getting the asus strix which is 210$ the extra 10 bucks for the custom cooler ect. + i just realized skylake is gonna be out in a month or so.Whats your take on the new architecture guys?

Cazauxx

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015

Isnt that funny? Today I ordered the Asus Strix Mouse

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Fixed it for ya ;D

Skylake will be interesting and bring DDR4 support but anyone who has a current cpu will find it pointless to upgrade and pricey with DDR4 being expensive.

I would go with the i5, you'll be right with that cpu for a few years atleast, longer than you would with the 6300. The R9 280x is faster than the 960 and the extra Vram will help be beneficial.

Abhishek Nair

Reputable
Dec 25, 2014
@boju So any point in waiting for skylake?since its getting 14nm manufacturing which inturn means more performance and lower temps and TDP's + Im trying to stick with the nvidia card cuz its got a overall lower tempreture and power usage and its a little newer on technology xD

boju

Titan
Ambassador
From what i read Skylake will benefit lower TDPs being 14nm which is very good for the mobile sector but comparing to whats out now, not much of an increase in gaming. Maybe do some reading, search 'is skylake worth waiting for' whether it will be worth waiting for you and affordability. Personally imo for gaming no. Newer tech is always pricey and say if you do wait and save, you'll still get more value for money going for the prior generation and still lasting you for the next 5 years give or take.

Cazauxx

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015

Also if your going to get the gtx 960 I recommend getting the msi one. I myself have it and it is the best! It has a overclock feature, silent, gaming mode, it lights up and when your not using the fans dont spin. If you would like to see what else I use for ideas hover your mouse over my picture and there you will find the specs

boju

Titan
Ambassador

Ah yes i did thanks.

senseijtitus

Honorable

exactly. You got that right buddy. Really appreciate the way you put it through.

senseijtitus

Honorable
Well. If you are looking for future proofing, I would suggest wait for the Skylake & ZEN CPUs as well. Once both of them are out, prices for current CPUs are bound to fall. And you will get better competing CPUs in the market. Both are new designs as far as we know. And will be implementing newer technologies and will be better that the previous generation.

So if you can wait a little longer, I think that would be a good idea. But for now, go for the most cost effective option. i5 if you get in the price range of FX6300 or even around $30 more that FX, would be worth it. Save as much money as you can now for future upgrade. It will be big and worth it.

senseijtitus

Honorable
GPU, I would say, R9 280x will be better than GTX 960. Better scaling and better multi monitor support. But there are other beasts in the market like GTX 980, R9 290x, R9 380x, GTX 980Ti. But keep an eye on your budget as well for those.

Abhishek Nair

Reputable
Dec 25, 2014
Thats great idea @senseijtitus! And @cazauxx i saw all the reviews of each of the board partners of the 960 and decided to go with strix since,its got the lowest temps & Asus's build quality.Nevertheless,the MSI versions just as good but i guess its got a slightly higher price tag! Btw i don't think i can look into the higher end cards since im on a tight budget :( and im 15.Working on little part time jobs to get the money :)

Cazauxx

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015

They are both very good brands, the reason I chose MSI was because it was cheap at the time and I hate noisy computers lol.
I think I'm the only one in the world who is finicky on that sort of stuff.

I hope this helps you :)