[SOLVED] FX 6300 Vs Intel Core i7 950

Zdos123

Honorable
Oct 26, 2016
Hello,
I have two cpu bundles, one has an fx 6300, msi 970a sli krait gaming motherboard, 8gb ddr3 1600mhz (Dual Channel) & the other has a i7 950, Asus p6t se, 12gb ddr3 (Dual Channel), i am trying to get another gaming rig running for friends when they come round, like a LAN party style thing, i will be pairing it with a gtx 1060, which CPU combo should i put in it, (The AMD combo has a aftermarket cooler).
Thanks,
Gabriel John Caddy

Solution
In 2019, both are pretty underwhelming but, if it were me, I'd probably lean slightly towards the i7-950. I would expect, paired with a 1060 though, that you'd probably see very similar performance either way.

The 12GB on the P6T should be triple channel, no?

Sounds like the i7 is only rocking the stock cooler? Which is a shame, as that chip could be pushed to 4GHz pretty easily, as which point it should wipe the floor with the FX despite it's age.
I wouldn't really suggest putting any money into it, but if you could find a decent ~$20 cooler used, that wouldn't be a bad thing.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
In 2019, both are pretty underwhelming but, if it were me, I'd probably lean slightly towards the i7-950. I would expect, paired with a 1060 though, that you'd probably see very similar performance either way.

The 12GB on the P6T should be triple channel, no?

Sounds like the i7 is only rocking the stock cooler? Which is a shame, as that chip could be pushed to 4GHz pretty easily, as which point it should wipe the floor with the FX despite it's age.
I wouldn't really suggest putting any money into it, but if you could find a decent ~$20 cooler used, that wouldn't be a bad thing.

Last edited:
Solution

Zdos123

Honorable
Oct 26, 2016
It is in Triple Channel, i will use the i7 950 and i will look to see if i have another cooler, might have a beefy noctua cooler, as i'm upgrading my primary rig to a custom loop

Hello,
I have two cpu bundles, one has an fx 6300, msi 970a sli krait gaming motherboard, 8gb ddr3 1600mhz (Dual Channel) & the other has a i7 950, Asus p6t se, 12gb ddr3 (Dual Channel), i am trying to get another gaming rig running for friends when they come round, like a LAN party style thing, i will be pairing it with a gtx 1060, which CPU combo should i put in it, (The AMD combo has a aftermarket cooler).
Thanks,
Gabriel John Caddy
2009 vs 2012 ? I'd say neither just save your green stamps and get something that isn't 7 - 10 years old and obsolete.