Fx 6300 with after market heatsink vs fx 8320 with stock heatsink (gaming)

TweeDoor

Reputable
Mar 29, 2014
Both of those AMD processes are good and yes Intel is better but more expensive and yes their motherboards are cheaper but hey, not much of a difference in gaming anyway. And for the record as far as I know intel chips get much hotter than AMD chips, amd just uses higher volts. Intel chips get hotter due to the improper thermal paste application under the lid of the cpu, this excludes the i7 4790 cause they fixed it a bit.

probal malakar

Honorable
Nov 25, 2013
You won't be using all 8 cores of fx8320 anyway.
I have one but I do rendering and stuffs...
The fx6300 is the way to go if you only want to game...there is a reason why its the best processor in its price range with head on competitors from Intel twice or more in its price!!!
Pair it with a 990fx mobo from the few bucks you saved from it rather than cheaping out with some low end 970 mobo. Both chip sets works anyway!!!
Noctua is really a pricey option. Lots of other good quality coolers are available in the market in less price. AMD CPUs come with stock cooler but you are going extreme anyways. I use deepcool frosttwin on my fx8320 mounted on MSI 970a-g46...
I overclocked it till 4.9ghz and the temps were really under control. But I downclocked it to 4.3-4.5 while I do rendering or some gaming. And even I have seen some really hot Intel CPUs .
Go for fx6300, it runs cooler than 8320 and does the same job.

No, the FX 6300 directly competes with Ivy Bridge i3's, which are priced identically to them. The Haswell i3's are also priced identically, but often outperform the FX.

I'd like to see a CPU-Z validation on that overclock, on a very low-end 970 motherboard. There's no way you didn't damage it by going that high, and I doubt you even got that high.

I do somewhat agree with your sentiment, though.