Question Fx 6300 xmp causes windows repair

eibelbilly

Proper
May 6, 2020
Mobo is msi 970a sli krait edition , CPU fx6300, ram 2x4 ddr3 Corsair 1600mhz

It's only running at 1333 so I enabled xmp and Bois seemed great but windows crashed and went in to automatic repair I undid it and now it's fine but how can I make it run at 1600

Which slots are your memory modules installed in, the white slots or the black ones?

Did both memory modules come TOGETHER, in ONE kit, or were they purchased separately?

Have you pulled the CPU to check for bent pins? About 50% of the memory problems I see on newly built or assembled systems are a result of somebody having bent pins on the CPU (For AMD) or motherboard (For Intel).

Another potential problem is if you are running an aftermarket high mounting pressure CPU cooler, if the cooler mounting points are not evenly tightened all the way around, it can "cock" the CPU in the socket and cause similar symptoms as if there were bent pins.

Motherboard standoffs not being in the correct locations or TOO MANY motherboard standoffs, resulting in one or more being where they don't belong and line up with the mounting holes on the motherboard ONLY, is another potential issue we sometimes see.

Also, you want to make 100% sure you have the MOST recent BIOS version installed. If you don't, then update the BIOS to the latest version.

eibelbilly

Proper
May 6, 2020
I think the white , it has the stock cooler and there is no bent pins as far as I know the system is fine without xmp, just with it windows starts automatic repair, I don't think I have the newest bios

If you're scared, then take it to a shop and have them do it. No offense, but there's no room for "I was worried" when working on computers. If your big boy pants don't seem to fit, then take it to somebody who is familiar with updating the BIOS and can do it for you, like a repair shop.

eibelbilly

Proper
May 6, 2020
If you're scared, then take it to a shop and have them do it. No offense, but there's no room for "I was worried" when working on computers. If your big boy pants don't seem to fit, then take it to somebody who is familiar with updating the BIOS and can do it for you, like a repair shop.
Dang your rude ,,I'm not that scared to take it to a shop I was just wondering if anyone has ever had any problems or failures

I'm not trying to be rude, but this is a forum for people who are looking for solutions in an attempt to solve their problems. If you are not willing to do the things that need to be done in order to do that, then the alternative is to take it to somebody who IS willing to do it, because they know what they are doing and they don't listen to people on the internet who have even less experience with such things than they do and advise them to avoid doing what needs done in some cases.

Bottom line is, EVERYTHING you do with your computer hardware is a risk. If you are afraid of taking the risks, which are extremely minimal to begin with so long as you educate yourself about what you are doing and make sure BEFORE you attempt to do something that you KNOW what you are doing, first, then it's ok to bow out and take it to a professional or somebody with more experience, but you need to be willing to admit that in order to move forward.

And furthermore, if the idea of having to "get your big boy pants on" is offensive to you, in a place like this, it might be time to get some thicker skin. This is not the place for anybody who is scared, worried, apprehensive or just plain has ten thumbs and they know it. If any of those things are true, then let a professional do the parts you are uncomfortable with so that they take the risk and not you. And again, there's not much risk to begin with so long as you don't just jump in and start trying to do stuff without taking the time to learn exactly what it is you are trying to do, and how to do it.