FX 6860/8800 GTS

Menkhaf

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
I've got a Gateway FX 6860, and I'm having horrible problems. I downloaded the drivers for my 8800 GTS via Windows Update and I've obtained the crappiest version of drivers ever. I'm barely reaching 35 frames per second in COD4. I then uninstalled them, and downloaded the latest from the nVidia site, for my Vista, 64 bit. when I try to install it says that it cannot find any hardware compatible with the drivers. when I try to uninstall them it says that I'm running a 32 bit uninstaller, on a 64 bit system? so I said the hell with nVidia. can anyone tell me the best drivers for the 6860/8800 GTS?

John_02

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
I havea 64 6860 with no problems for over a year. Every hardware piece would probably be the same. Reload windows and don't do more than one change at a time and figure out what causes the problem. You won't get the fastest fram rates with this processor but it should play all games just fine.

John

mattw101

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
actually,
The problem is gateway. they have made it so that only their drivers work/recognize the card in vista. This reduces problems (or actually causes a lot of annoyance). they just wanted there to be one set of drivers, the same ones from when you install windows. you can try laptopvideo2go.com as they have drivers that can bypass the check.
I have had quite a few issues with the p6860fx laptop and its 8800gts video card. I found that there is a heating issue, if i could only turn up the fans using ntune or riva tuner, it would be fine, but unfortunatly, both of those programs dont recognize gateways drivers, and normal drivers dont recognize the card.
what a piss off.

matt

penasoonik

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
i formatted my gateway p6860fx to windows 7 ultimate 32-bits(RC). everything was working just fine.
i downloaded the drivers from the nvidia official site. It seemed like the driver is working...

however, i have some serious overheating problem.
playing prototype (everything high) just make the PC hot.
for my information, 8800GTS should not have any problem working on this game on high graphics option.
the worst thing was, the whole laptop will just switch off itself when i am playing Batman and NFS undercover...
that was just a disappointment...

i have a problem on my audio system too... when i close my laptop pc (make it into hibernate or sleep manualy) while the power is still on, the sound system won't work while i open it again...
any suggestion that i can improve this thing? should i convert back to vista or XP?

The whole computer will auto shut down when the GPU reaches 100C!
is there any problem with my heat sink?
I feel like open it and see is there any problem with it, but i don't know how

popabeat

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009

I had the same problem with my audio after I installed Windows 7 64-bit, but I was able to fix it by downloading the audio drivers from Gateway (I think; I was installing and updating so much, it could be possible that something else fixed it.)

I had that problem with the Windows 7 x64 beta and I was hoping it would be fixed in the final, but I think it might actually be worst. Before, I knew it was something I was doing that caused it to overheat plus I was using the onboard screen and a 24" external; but now, it has shut off a couple of times overnight when nothing was happening (at least, nothing should've been happening) and just a few minutes ago when I was trying to extract a huge file.

Overall, I think it's half Gateway's fault and half Windows. Gateway built the system as a gaming system, so it shouldn't be overheating so easily. and Windows 7, I love it to death, but it seems like what they took off of the CPU they put on the GPU.