Fx 8120 vs FX 8150, Difference? also, FX-8120=2500k?

Status
Not open for further replies.

N11Ckk123472

Honorable
May 13, 2012
Is there a difference between AMD's FX-8120 and FX-8150? All I can tell is the FX-8150 is clocked higher.

Also, another question, I've heard that the FX-8120/8150 is almost identical, and sometimes better in terms of overclocking and performance compared to an i5 2500k.

Is this true? I'm looking to upgrade my system soon, and I was planning on buying a new board and a 2500k, but if these bulldozers are just is good (and A LOT cheaper I might add) I might just replace my Phenom II x4 965.

I have an h60 with push/pull so I will be overclocking.

So what are your thoughts, are those 2 AMD processors the same, and do they stack up against the 2500k?

Please no intel/amd fanboyism, I want straight answers.

axe1592

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
The 8150 is binned a little higher so you might get a couple extra MHz out of its top most overclock. But this really isnt worth the extra $30. The 8120 is the better way to go.

The 2500K is a better processor than the FX line. Thats not to say you cant have a perfectly capable and high performing rig with an FX processor but youll have a better performing rig with an Intel in it.

Now the thing with the FX processors is that while they are slower than the Phenom line clock for clock, they overclock much higher and my FX-8150 running at 4.35 is faster than my old Phenom X6 1090 running at 4.0, albiet slightly. Once I get my H100, Ill have the cooling I need to get up to 4.5+ at which point itll be a good bit faster. So since youll be overclocking, might as well go with a FX.

Now if youre on an existing AMD platform with an AM3+ socket motherboard, there is nothing wrong at all with going with an FX chip. But if youre going to be building from scratch with a new motherboard and new OS install, you might as well go Intel cause it is the faster proc.

The only way the AMD route would be the best is if youre working on a budget cause you can get a 8120 for $50 less than a 2500K and you could put that $50 towards a better GPU. But if youve got the cash and building from square one, go Intel.

ohyouknow

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
I agree with everything state above. If you really want the best performance for your dollar and don't mind a platform change, intel offers you that over amd in cpu performance.

That being said, I have my 8120 running at 4.2 atm but can clock it up a bit more and hit 4.5 easily. But since it's the time of fantastic summer weather, my ambient temperatures make me nervous to do so.

The extra $30 bones you spend on the 8150 over an 8120 should be spent on a better gpu imho if you choose to stick with AMD. But you should also consider that Piledriver revision is coming soon for AMD, so if you can wait and see how it does that is an option to consider.

Cheers.

imo stick with the oc phenom for the time being. it's good enough and better than 8120 for gaming.
wait and see how piledriver turns out. initial pd prices will be high, keep that in mind.
you'll have a wider choice of upgrades available then. piledriver, fx, sandy bridge, ivy bridge. if pd isnt better than fx for gaming, change to intel platform if you want. meanwhile save up more.
as for '$350 increase'... core i5 is $220 on newegg, $170 at microcenters (if you can get to one), fx 8120 is $150 at microcenters. i assume you added motherboard prices with intel. it depends on other factors like gfx card. if the gfx card isn't powerful, the performance increase might not be noticeable enough.

Francis_M

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
These processors can not be compared, because you can see the price difference is huge.
But if you want to know about the performance of each of them, then here is my opinion.

I have fx8120, running at stock and I play bf3 with ultra/medium/custom settings, no problem at all for me, except fx8120 is a very hot cpu and you need to buy a good cooling unit, choice is yours air or liquid cooling. With stock heatsink temperate idle is 38 to 42C because it is summer time now and the room temperature is high, playing bf3 temp goes upto 65 C. Anyway now I am using a corsair H60 so temp is not a problem.

Reason I bought fx8120, was to save money, and I am happy with it. I saved some cash and bought a good gpu saphire radeon 6950 OC 2gb memory ( not best, but in my budget good).

overall performance is awesome, I have no problem at all, and I will not compare fx8120 to other available products, feel sad or run in a processor race. Again looking at the price, I am happy with fx8120.

If you have cash, then anyday go with i5 2500k.

Hope this helps :)

Unless you're doing something that is actually going to make use of Bulldozers architecture efficiently, something highly threaded the 8 core cpu idea is pretty useless for 90% of situations. I would rather have 4 brutally fast cores like an I5 or I7 then 8 pissweak cores.

N11Ckk123472

Honorable
May 13, 2012
with "350$ performance increase" what I meant is its a 220$ cpu and I'll have to buy an intel motherboard as well.

I can't decide between the i5 because I've been told the 8120 when overclocked (I'm using an h60 but before i upgrade i want to mod my h60 with a res and custom tubing) is just as good as the i5 in terms of gaming performance. I really couldn't give 2 shits if it was 8 cores, 4 cores or 30 cores, I'm just gaming.

I'm not expecting the 8120 to be better than the i5 just because it has more cores, I just want something "just as good" that won't cost me a bunch, as I'm already spending money upgrading the rest of my system.

You're missing the point it doesn't matter if it's a so called quad core, six core or eight core Bulldozer, the Bulldozer performs like a Core 2 Duo because it's micro architecture is so in efficient. Also I don't know who is telling you that the Bulldozer performs just as good as an I5 or I7 in gaming because that's a load of garbage. Stock I5/I7 vs a stock Bulldozer the I5/7 win's out. Overclocked I5/I7 vs overclocked Bulldozer and the I5 and I7 still wins. Just look at the benchmarks out there. So yea get a Bulldozer if you don't mind downgrading.

jacknhut

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010
FX 8120 = 170 bucks down the drain with no gaming improvement whatsoever compared to your overclocked PII X4 965. In some games, performance is actually worse, ie you pay 170 bucks to get less fps in some cases.

2500k = 330 bucks and you do see a big difference in not only gaming performance but all other tasks compared to PII X4 965. Problem is its up to you to decide whether the difference justifies the price tag or not.

If I'm on a strict budget, I would just skip this generation all together and save more money to get Haswell which will be out next year. Your overclocked PII X4 is still decent for gaming. Most of the times the bottleneck is the video card, not the CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.