Question FX 8320 is over heating to the point to where i cant even turn my computer on fr longer than 30 seconds.

SevNation

Commendable
Jul 19, 2017
5
0
1,510
0
So ive got an FX8320 at 3.5 ghz currently cause i was running into issues with it over heating when over clocked and putting it back to stock seemed to work up until today, i was playing the ne MW and it went from 70c to over 80c and just shut off, so i pulled to computer apart and cleaned the 9 pounds of dust off and put it back together with some new arctic mx4 thermal paste and now as soon as i start it i get into the bios i see its at 81c and then shuts off
 

bloocool

Reputable
Oct 31, 2015
12
1
4,525
0
Along with ensuring the thermal paste, cooler, and CPU have sufficient contact with each other. I would also pull the CMOS battery, to reset the BIOS and ensure all CPU settings are 100% reverted to default.
  1. Turn off all peripheral devices connected to the computer.
  2. Disconnect the power cord from the AC power source.
  3. Remove the computer cover.
  4. Find the battery on the board. The battery may be in a horizontal or vertical battery holder or connected to an onboard header with a wire.
  5. Remove the battery:
  6. If the battery is in a holder, note the orientation of the + and – on the battery. Gently pry the battery-free from its connector.
  7. If the battery is connected to an onboard header with a wire, disconnect the wire from the onboard header.
  8. Wait for 1–5 minutes, then reconnect the battery.
  9. Put the computer cover back on.
  10. Plug the computer and all devices back in.
While looking around the internet it seems like the BiOS can sometimes display the wrong temp. (That's why I recommend a BiOS reset.)
 
Last edited:
Reactions: Moralplacebo

Mr.Spock

Prominent
Dec 8, 2019
540
56
590
29
you probably need a better cooler, you didn't mention what your current setup is?

So ive got an FX8320 at 3.5 ghz currently cause i was running into issues with it over heating when over clocked and putting it back to stock seemed to work up until today, i was playing the ne MW and it went from 70c to over 80c and just shut off, so i pulled to computer apart and cleaned the 9 pounds of dust off and put it back together with some new arctic mx4 thermal paste and now as soon as i start it i get into the bios i see its at 81c and then shuts off
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS