NoEasyDay

Reputable
Feb 21, 2015
FX 8320 4.0 GHz @ 1.2375v
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 Rev 4.0
Cryorig H7 w/ be quiet! Silentwings 3
RX 580 Strix
Pure Base 600 w/ 2x 140mm Pure Wings 2 Intake and 120mm Pure Wings 2 Exhaust

I have reapplied the cooler as well as thermal paste like 10 times now, case fans are running 100% and CPU fan running 100%, Idles around 40C and load of 75C and actually to my surprise doesn't shut itself down or even from what I can tell, thermal throttle at all, but the only things I havent tried is using the stock fan with the cooler, but other than that, which I doubt would make a difference, I dont know what to do.

Solution
I had the same cpu and motherboard as you and found that if you're using any sort of LLC it causes everything to heat up. I was able to run my cpu at 4.4 Ghz with LLC at the default and only needed to place a 120mm fan over the VRM's and the CPU stayed cool never going over 53c on water.

Max1s

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
Did you make sure not to use too much thermal paste when putting the cooler on? Does air get blown into your case from the front/bottom and out through the top/back?

EDITED because I didn't know what I was talking about

75 is the thermal limit for amds fx series. Can you replace the coolerpaste?

neieus

Distinguished
I had the same cpu and motherboard as you and found that if you're using any sort of LLC it causes everything to heat up. I was able to run my cpu at 4.4 Ghz with LLC at the default and only needed to place a 120mm fan over the VRM's and the CPU stayed cool never going over 53c on water.

Solution

NoEasyDay

Reputable
Feb 21, 2015

Apparently AMD's thermal maximum is 62C on the 8 cores, used middle dot method for applying thermal paste, CPU cooler is on nice and snug, the only thing I can think is my temp readings are just inaccurate, as these old FX chips are known for being, or these fans just aren't cutting it.

Yes, I have 2 front intakes and one rear exhaust.

I should also add that it has to be something with the CPU cooler because my GPU is sitting idle at 40C with no fans spinning, and even in most games i've played it stays off and idle, which really makes me put the blame all on the cooler/cpu

NoEasyDay

Reputable
Feb 21, 2015

Which LLC is "default"? Booting into bios gives me options of Normal, Standard, Extreme, Low and Auto. It is on Auto by default, but do you mean any of those other options?

spdragoo

Splendid
Ambassador
The best app for testing AMD CPU temperatures is AMD Overdrive. Instead of an actual temperature reading, it gives you a "thermal margin" reading: the lower the reading, the closer you are to the chip's thermal limit.

I have the same CPU/motherboard (see signature), but am using the stock cooler. Generally I get a margin of 20-40C when idling, & at load it'll range from maybe 8-15C.