Mar 13, 2020
Morning,
I've been having a huge problem with my Asus GTX 950 2GB, combined with an AMD FX-8350 cooled by an AIO liquid cooler, 4x4GB of DDR3 Ram 1600MHz, Cooler master 500W PSU and an Asrock 970 Extreme 3
In games like BF1, F12019/2018, Rainbow Six Siege, the FPS suddenly drops from an avg of 60/70 to 10/15 and when it happens the GPU clock drops from avg 1400MHz to avg 800/900MHz.
In the Nvidia control panel, the GPU is set to run on "Prefer maximum performance" but it still does the problem.
THERE AREN'T ANY OVERHEATING PROBLEM in-game, all the drives are up to date and I'm running on a fresh windows 10 pro installation.
So, my question is: "should I buy a new GPU or should I change MB, CPU, and RAM?"
Post Scriptum: sometimes the GPU drivers crash, leaving me without control of the system

Solution
if the gpu driver is crashing that would leave me too belive you are overclocking the snot out of your gpu becaus ethats the only time mine gose down...now, when it comes too which should you upgrade first its kinda a hard thing too say for me because really too me....all of it..would you be able too change too maybe a gtx 1060 from ebay used and if that dose not fix the issue change the cpu and mobo like you suggested? i mean there are alot of fx hold outs and im not sure hwy because zen 2 is amazinnggg and cheap might i add, im an intel guy rn but i wanna go amd, but really your hardware is just older and possibly tired from years of abuse bud, if you can afford it i would think about building a better more up too date system
Aug 22, 2019
if the gpu driver is crashing that would leave me too belive you are overclocking the snot out of your gpu becaus ethats the only time mine gose down...now, when it comes too which should you upgrade first its kinda a hard thing too say for me because really too me....all of it..would you be able too change too maybe a gtx 1060 from ebay used and if that dose not fix the issue change the cpu and mobo like you suggested? i mean there are alot of fx hold outs and im not sure hwy because zen 2 is amazinnggg and cheap might i add, im an intel guy rn but i wanna go amd, but really your hardware is just older and possibly tired from years of abuse bud, if you can afford it i would think about building a better more up too date system

Solution
Many AMD chipsets for the FX8350 CPU needed some airflow across the VRM circuitry, particularly for 125 W TDP CPUs, and, AIOs, lacking a fan that blows air across the mainboard, sometimes deprive the mainboard of cooling, causing it to throttle due to VRM temps...

Open the case, and blow a fan across the mainboard to experiment, and see if the symptoms change.

When it comes time to upgrade, there are not many modern titles where an FX8350 or a GTX950 are going to suffice anymore, so, you are probably looking at essentially building an entirely new rig when you choose to do so....

Aug 22, 2019
Many AMD chipsets for the FX8350 CPU needed some airflow across the VRM circuitry, particularly for 125 W TDP CPUs, and, AIOs, lacking a fan that blows air across the mainboard, sometimes deprive the mainboard of cooling, causing it to throttle due to VRM temps...

Open the case, and blow a fan across the mainboard to experiment, and see if the symptoms change.

When it comes time to upgrade, there are not many modern titles where an FX8350 or a GTX950 are going to suffice anymore, so, you are probably looking at essentially building an entirely new rig when you choose to do so....
i agree one hundread and fifty percent. thats why i didnt even know where too tell him to start with upgrading and it just kept coming down too everything.

OllympianGamer

Honorable
Dec 22, 2016
What would your budget for an upgrade be and where are you? If I was on a tight budget I'd probably search the used market.

If you simply want an answer to your question I'd probably upgrade the gpu over the cpu for a boost in gaming performance but it's hard to recommend which gpu may be suitable as you havent posted what psu you have.

Mar 13, 2020

My PC is clean (computer assembly used to be my job) and has such a nice airflow. The problem, beyond the clock speed drop, is that it suddenly crashes. It's just like a BSOD but without a blue screen; in other words, everything stops running, the image is fixed and I ear like a buzzer in the headset (hope you recognize). It lasts like 5 seconds and then nothing but the same frame on the monitor and I have to warm reboot it. The worst is that I can't find a reason either in the event viewer.
Hope you can sort it out

"The Desktop Window Manager is experiencing heavy resource contention.
Scenario : Video memory resources are over-utilised and there is thrashing happening as a result. Reducing the number of running programs and open windows may help resolve this condition."
That happened a few minutes before the last crash

Mar 13, 2020

I'm camping amazon warehouse to find a good offer for cpu+mobo. I know I'll have 30 days to test the new RIG and, if the problem still happens I'll send everything back.

TRENDING THREADS