FX 8350 custom build or i7 7700 Asus CD 11 (GTX 1050)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccoonansr

Honorable
Jan 10, 2018
I have an FX 8350, Gigabyte 970a-Ds3p, 16 GB Kingston Hyper-X @ 1600 Mhz (Dual Channel), PNY SSD (260 GB), 2 TB Western Digital HDD (7200 RPM), F.E. Reference nVidia GTX 1080 8GB, Blu Ray BDXL 2.0+ Burner combo drive.

I also have a brand new Asus G11 prebuilt gaming PC.

http://store.asus.com/us/item/201703AM090000014/ASUS+G11CD-DS71-GTX1050+Intel+i7+8GB+1TB+HDD+GTX1050+Win10+Desktop+Gaming+Computer.

I want to use the best possible combo of both. I figure that means the SSD, Blu Ray and GTX 1080 go into the CD11 and rest go into the AMD build.
The AMD build will be used for 1080p gaming, as a media server, and surfing the web.
The Intel build will be for 4K gaming, 4K Video (Watching and content creation) and occasional DAW duty.

I am looking for opinions on what the best way to configure each rig is.

I do realize the lack of RAM in the intel build (Needs another 8GB stick to run in dual channel as well as bring to 16GB) will hamper it and an SSD (I'm picking up a PCIeX4 SSD for the AMD) in both is best and I will address these issues after I move around the current parts.

Solution
I was going to say that much of what I read in that post above yours made little sense to me, but clearly you've already done that, so I guess I don't need to bother.

Honestly, and you probably already know this but I'm going to verify what you SHOULD already be thinking anyhow, which is, both those power supplies are crap. No name = potential fire hazard due to almost certainly not even being able to output rated capacity AND probable lack of any actual internal protections.

Visiontek isn't much, if any, better. There are absolutely no references to ANY Visiontek unit having been reviewed or even just torn down, on any of the relevant forums like JonnyGuru, here, HardOCP, Badcaps, etc., except for a single listing on the Dell...
Power supply models?

Seems you've got the rest already worked out as well as can be recommended. I think determining which PSU needs to go where, if it's even an option based on the fact that one of them is a prebuilt and might have a proprietary PSU is the only real question remaining.

ccoonansr

Honorable
Jan 10, 2018

G11 Has a 300 watt max no name power supply without 6 or 8 pin out for gfx cards.

The other is a VisionTek 900347 650W ATX12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply

Seems i'll be swapping PSUs as well.

Tensai30

Respectable
Jul 4, 2016
Less CPU is needed for 4k gaming because the GPU would be the main bottleneck for the foreseeable future. Not much point in having a faster CPU for gaming if your GPU can't keep up with it. My I5 6600k isn't holding me back on any titles with my 1080ti because 60fps is really the most I can hope to get at 4k. That being said, if you want to have any chance in keeping 60fps on high/ultra settings, you would need a 1080ti. Preferably one with good cooling because overclocking is a must. If you can, try saving on the CPU a little more and get a better GPU for the 4k build. It should also be worth noting that any AMD fx CPU will be a bottleneck in gaming regardless of the resolution.

ccoonansr

Honorable
Jan 10, 2018

I currently have a GTX 1080 (NON ti) that keeps 60 fps @ 4K in Ultra in all the games I play on it.
I play: Shadow Of War
GTA V
Witcher 3 Wild Hunt
Skyrim
Dead or Alive 5
MAME

I see dips to 50s sometimes, but not often enough to reduce settings.

And this is on my FX 8350 Build.

I play emulated games sometimes. Especially Dolphin and MAME. I can play Mario Kart Double Dash @internal resolution of 2160p 60 Hz 4k (3840 x 2160p) 60 fps with a 57 fps low. Every effect on the card maxxed from AA to AF.

Mind you with the motherboard I have (PCIeX16 2.0) and the older processor hamstringing the gfx card I can still do that.

I have built enough PCs and handled enough top shelf parts as well as low end and mid range parts to know what's worth it and what's not.

However none of that matters as I am looking for intelligent opinions on what I am doing RIGHT NOW.

Thank you for your reply and thank you for understanding.

I was going to say that much of what I read in that post above yours made little sense to me, but clearly you've already done that, so I guess I don't need to bother.

Honestly, and you probably already know this but I'm going to verify what you SHOULD already be thinking anyhow, which is, both those power supplies are crap. No name = potential fire hazard due to almost certainly not even being able to output rated capacity AND probable lack of any actual internal protections.

Visiontek isn't much, if any, better. There are absolutely no references to ANY Visiontek unit having been reviewed or even just torn down, on any of the relevant forums like JonnyGuru, here, HardOCP, Badcaps, etc., except for a single listing on the Dell website for that same exact part number and then a few listings of that model for sale here and there.

Not even a reference of them on the tier 5 section of our tier list located here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

Which generally they will be if there are a lot of their crappy units going around out there. That tells me these guys are a one trick pony that likely scrounged up some one time bulk business with Dell to supply them as an OEM on a bunch of low end prebuilt systems. This makes it an unknown quantity but also makes it a PROBABLE very low quality unit as well. I would not trust it. Not when you can get something five times better, with good protections and a warranty for less than forty bucks. Just not worth the risk, at least, not if it was my hardware and I wanted to keep it around and in working condition for a while.

Even if the thing doesn't short out or burn up, the chances are VERY good that with a cheap unit like both of those, that there will be very excessively high amounts of ripple/noise, and if you know much about electronics then you know that excessive ripple tends to kill the capacitors on motherboards and graphics cards as well as damaging mechanical hard drives, sometimes cutting their useful life cleanly in half. And no, that is no exaggeration.

Anyhow, my recommendation would be, and you can take it or leave it, since it's your hardware and your money, but I'd say replacing both those power supplies should truthfully be your first order of business.

Solution

Tensai30

Respectable
Jul 4, 2016

First of all you do drop lower than that. I used to have that CPU and upgrading to a 6600k fixed all the drops on some of the games you mentioned. Second of all let's not forget this is a site where people take the time out of their day to try to help people. Whether or not you chose to use my advice is completely up to you but no need to tell someone their suggestion was unintelligent.

I don't think he said YOU were unintelligent. However, that particular point seems to be somewhat dubious after your statements regarding nobody ever replacing power supplies. I'm still trying to figure that one out. I think, all things considered, his response to your suggestion was rather more cordial than mine would have been had I been him. Regardless, while it is clear that you ARE trying to help, I'm just not convinced that the offered advice is particularly helpful.

Maybe almost as important as the first item I pointed to is the fact that you are trying to correlate YOUR experience with a piece of hardware or configuration to everybody using that same hardware, which is flat out not usually going to be the case. There are too many variables from rig to rig.

Differences in installed software, drivers, other hardware, operating system cleanliness or lack thereof, ISP speeds, router configuration and model, motherboard firmware version, in game settings, power delivery and resolution can all be major factors relating to two somewhat similar systems not having even remotely similar results. Furthermore, things like the quality of silicon can be a factor as well. What my 6700k can do may not be the same as the next guys 6700k, especially if there is overclocking or memory differences such as DRAM speed, IC quality and voltage considerations with both that might affect stability.

So while I agree that telling somebody they are unintelligent just because you don't like their advice, I also think there are caveats when it comes to that and that some amount of civility was granted to you by the OP regardless that your suggestions might not have been entirely sound.

It's great that an upgrade corrected issues YOU had on your system, but that 100% doesn't mean that your experience is going to apply across the board to everybody with similar hardware, in every case.

Reactions: ccoonansr

ccoonansr

Honorable
Jan 10, 2018

I never once said you were unintelligent. I said I was looking for intelligent solutions to MY problem,. You gave me opinions and answers based on yours.
I also thanked you for your reply and understanding.
I'm not sure how I became a villain here. LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.