FX-8350 GTX 1050 Ti Vs i5-4690k GTX 970

EvooHD

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2015
Hello, i was wondering which system would be better in real life gaming (with DX12 or without)
So the system A, is my PC Setup, and System B is my friend setup.

These system mainly is using to play Games at 1080p only.
all AAA+ games, (GTA 5, Watch Dogs 2, CSGO, Dishonored 2 , For Honor, Forza Horizon 3, Battlefield 1 .. etc)

Thanks.

System (A)

CPU:i5-4690k @ 3.9GHz Stock (if needed can go up to 4.2 - 4.4 GHz)
MB: MSI Z97 Gaming 3
GPU: MSI GTX 970 @ Stock
RAM: 16GB 1600Mhz
HDD1:1TB HDD
HDD2: 240GB SSD (OS) Windows 10 Pro 64bit
PowerSupply: RM650x

System (B)

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz @ Stock (dont know how much OC with that MB, )
MB: MSI 970 Gaming
GPU: GTX 1050 Ti 4GB @ Stock
RAM: 16GB 1600MHz
HDD1: 1TB
HDD2: 240GB SSD (OS) Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit (But can upgrade to Windows 10 Pro 64bit in any time for DX12)
PowerSupply: RM550x

Solution
Three more points:

1) I'd wait for AMD's RYZEN CPU's to come out, and see how that affects pricing.

2) If building, and not RYZEN I'd go with an i5-7600K.

3) Just for fun I made a build. I don't know what the prices where for those computers, plus this CPU is newer and the motherboard is probably better. I also put in a GTX1070 because one of the builds I found with similar parts to the i5-4690K + GTX970 cost over $1300USD.

Here's my $1400USD build (including Windows 10):
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wt3k8K

Again, you can play around with the parts. I know some people start with cheap motherboards but I prefer to put in a solid board to minimize problems.

The PSU has an ECO mode so the fan will turn off.

The Asus Strix is my...
System A outperforms system B in every way:
- System A has the better CPU. B has more cores but it lacks the power. Also 4 cores are more than enough for games.
- System A has the better GPU. B has a newer GPU and is more power efficient, but the GTX 970 outperforms it easily in all games.
The rest doesn't matter much for gaming, though windows 10 is better for gaming than windows 7, but only if the hardware has good drivers for it.

AGREED.

GTX970 vs GTX1050Ti:
GTX970 is about 40% faster-> https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_1050_Ti_Gaming_X/27.html

There ARE benefits to the newer architecture the GTX1050Ti uses, but most people wouldn't care and the performance benefit offsets that. Besides, you can drop in a faster GPU in the future to upgrade the system.

FX-8350 vs i5-4690K
The FX is sometimes only getting 60% of the performance, though it varies a lot. Average arguably closer to 75-80% of modern Intel CPU but depends on the games selected. I'm not sure if there is a game that works better with the FX-8350.

W10 vs W7:
W10 supports DX12 so you'd want to be upgrading sometime. (the "spying" thing is also so overblown I don't know where to start)

OTHER:
*BUILDING a system is easier than you might think and can enable you to save money, or build a BETTER system for the same money. Perhaps put in a GTX1070 GPU for the same cost.

Pre-builts have their own issues too such as what happens if you have a problem. Sometimes a simple problem you could fix, or swap component easily requires you to ship a pre-built back to the store. Not fun.

Three more points:

1) I'd wait for AMD's RYZEN CPU's to come out, and see how that affects pricing.

2) If building, and not RYZEN I'd go with an i5-7600K.

3) Just for fun I made a build. I don't know what the prices where for those computers, plus this CPU is newer and the motherboard is probably better. I also put in a GTX1070 because one of the builds I found with similar parts to the i5-4690K + GTX970 cost over $1300USD.

Here's my $1400USD build (including Windows 10):
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wt3k8K

Again, you can play around with the parts. I know some people start with cheap motherboards but I prefer to put in a solid board to minimize problems.

The PSU has an ECO mode so the fan will turn off.

The Asus Strix is my favorite card, and if you had to reduce cost I'd go with an RX-480 8GB model instead of the GTX1070.

Solution

Hello man

Honorable

System A makes a lot more sense at the moment. This is considering the fact that AMD Zen will be coming out soon, and requires a motherboard change from the AM3+ socket boards dinosaurs like me have.

I have an 8350 now-had it for about three years. Never let me down, but at the moment is purely useless as far as upgrade path. There isn't really one.

On that note however, they do overclock beautifully on water. 5Ghz is easy money.

EvooHD

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2015
wow, i just woke up. And there so so much good answers. I cant even decide who pick as solution. But hey its not about Picking answers , its about helping eachother.. Right? Everyone comment is just so good and solid, very helpfull. I appreciated everyones help, thank you all. ! :)