Question FX-8350 Heat Issue

Sep 22, 2019
Hi! I'm having this problem where my processor usage drops from 100% to 35% and goes back to 100% when temps drop. (using cinebench).
Noticed that when ever the CPU temp hits 46 C(113 F) it drops usage to 35% until temp drops 20 C( 70 F) and returns back to normal after that.
What can i do?
CPU: AMD FX-8350 at 4 GHz
MB: ASUSTek M5A78L (bios uppdate:1701)
GPU: GTX 1050 Ti 4Gt
Power:Fractal 500W Bronze
MEM:24Gt
Cooling: Air Cooled with two Noctua 120mm fans

Last edited:

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
46C should not have any affect on performance. I suspect something else is at fault that coincides with the temp reaching 46C. Possibly voltage increases being poorly regulated. Try resetting the BIOS with the jumper method. You may have to change back things like IDE mode to AHCI mode to get it to boot Win if you made those type of changes at installation.

Sep 22, 2019
46C should not have any affect on performance. I suspect something else is at fault that coincides with the temp reaching 46C. Possibly voltage increases being poorly regulated. Try resetting the BIOS with the jumper method. You may have to change back things like IDE mode to AHCI mode to get it to boot Win if you made those type of changes at installation.
Frend sugsest it might be problem with MB not giving enough power to cpu? is that possible?

DSzymborski

Titan
I suspect that Cross is right. While a 125W CPU can theoretically run on these types of budget AM3+ motherboards, having problems of this type are fairly common. The 4+1 power phase configuration is extremely skimpy here and throttling is again, fairly common.

My advice, when running into this problem is to underclock it until you no longer run into problems. The platform is ancient at this point and unless you literally fall into a nearly free 990FX motherboard or one of a few of the higher-end 970s, it doesn't make much sense to put any more cash into this.

Reactions: Crosslhs82x2
From taking a quick look at newegg and Amazon most USED boards that would handle a 8350 are $100.00 minimum or more. My gigabyte 990fxa-ud3 is $168.00 used i didn't pay that new.

Also looking you could do a asus rog strix b450 f gaming for $129.00
The amd r5 2600x for $139.00
G.skill 16gb 2x8 trident z 3200 cl 16 for $104.00
There was g.skill ripjaws for $74.00 but would recommend the trident z.
So better to upgrade which would be better $$$ spent.

Sep 22, 2019
From taking a quick look at newegg and Amazon most USED boards that would handle a 8350 are $100.00 minimum or more. My gigabyte 990fxa-ud3 is $168.00 used i didn't pay that new.

Also looking you could do a asus rog strix b450 f gaming for $129.00
The amd r5 2600x for $139.00
G.skill 16gb 2x8 trident z 3200 cl 16 for $104.00
There was g.skill ripjaws for $74.00 but would recommend the trident z.
So better to upgrade which would be better $$$ spent.
Thx guys. Helped me a lot. My self as intel user. Amd is new to me xD. Troubleshooting frends pc so i sugsest him to buy new mobo and cpu for that matter.

Sep 22, 2019
I suspect that Cross is right. While a 125W CPU can theoretically run on these types of budget AM3+ motherboards, having problems of this type are fairly common. The 4+1 power phase configuration is extremely skimpy here and throttling is again, fairly common.

My advice, when running into this problem is to underclock it until you no longer run into problems. The platform is ancient at this point and unless you literally fall into a nearly free 990FX motherboard or one of a few of the higher-end 970s, it doesn't make much sense to put any more cash into this.
Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P
Could this work?

It's still a 4+1 power phase even though it has a heatsink on the vrm's.
You could put a less power hungery fx processor on his board such as
This is a option
https://www.newegg.com/amd-fx-6000-series-fx-6300/p/N82E16819113286

On either board the power phase is weak for a 8350 at its stock clock.
Underclocking and undervolting could possibly get it to stop throttling,
At the expense of performance but the fx 6300 wouldn't need any of that and may have about the same performance of a underclocked 8350.

Also keep in mind buying ANY mobo used should be considered BUYER BEWARE as you have no warranty or history of what the owners did with it.

Tour temperature readings are likely not accurate.
There is no way a cpu can operate at 20c outside of a refrigerator.
A cooler must, at minimum operate at 10-15c. over ambient when idle. FX run hot so expect more.
I do not know what measurement will give you an accurate reading of a fx processor.

Your symptoms indicate throttling from heat.
When the processor or motherboard gets too hot(65c. I think for FX) the processor throttles until the temperature drops to an ok level.
You will lose performance during this time.

Try taking the case covers off and direct a house fan at the innards.
That should help.

I would not spend any more on what is an obsolete fx line.

$250 or so will buy you a new cpu, motherboard and ddr4 ran that will outperform your current setup.

Moralplacebo

Reputable
Jun 8, 2015
I don't think that is it.
I'm thinking the vrm's are throttling the power hungery 8350.
That mobo lacks a adequate power phase and vrm cooling heatsink for a 8350.
I used to run that cpu on a Asrock Fatality 990FX killer and after trying a lesser board. Exactly as he said if you have a mobo that lacks the needed power phase and vrm cooling heatsink you might as well not try to run it.

I've tried 2 different 970 mobo's with 2 different fx8350's and had issues on both.
Gigabyte 970 sli and as soon as i put a fx6300 on it had no more issues and is still running.
The other was a azrock 970 g3.1 which by azrock it supposedly was able to handle a 220 watt cpu but it couldn't take a fx8350.

Sep 22, 2019
Tour temperature readings are likely not accurate.
There is no way a cpu can operate at 20c outside of a refrigerator.
A cooler must, at minimum operate at 10-15c. over ambient when idle. FX run hot so expect more.
I do not know what measurement will give you an accurate reading of a fx processor.

Your symptoms indicate throttling from heat.
When the processor or motherboard gets too hot(65c. I think for FX) the processor throttles until the temperature drops to an ok level.
You will lose performance during this time.

Try taking the case covers off and direct a house fan at the innards.
That should help.

I would not spend any more on what is an obsolete fx line.

$250 or so will buy you a new cpu, motherboard and ddr4 ran that will outperform your current setup.
Here gyazo video when i run cinebench. that what happens.https://gyazo.com/df6d27e06b1e6971238168b9a39f978b