Question fx 8350 OC

Jan 19, 2020
I'm trying to overclock my fx 8350 because I can't run Escape From Tarkov. I've got it to 4.6ghz with 1.4vcore but it's not helping performance at all so idk what the issue is.

GPU: Gtx 1060 6gb
CPU: FX-8350
Motherboard: m5a78l-m
RAM: 16gb DDR3

bryanc723

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2015
Your specs are very similar to mine, and while it is indeed a board with poor power ability, you should be able to run the game at stock speeds pretty well.
I would say overclocking it could be causing the cpu to throttle or perhapse you're having a driver issue with the game.

Your specs are very similar to mine, and while it is indeed a board with poor power ability, you should be able to run the game at stock speeds pretty well.
I would say overclocking it could be causing the cpu to throttle or perhapse you're having a driver issue with the game.
I agree with this, try taking off all overclocking. You could easily be making performance worse by overheating the motherboard VRM’s and causing the cpu to throttle.

xravenxdota

Reputable
Aug 26, 2017
I have the same board on my other pc which are running with a FX 4170.Max i could oc was 4.7ghz but it wasn't stable and i had to use 1.4125volts for that.Try what Bry said but in general an overclocked cpu can give you 5-10 fps max on older hardware.Intel on the other hand get huge gains on oc cause it can oc to 5-5.2ghz.

Jan 19, 2020
I just don't understand why it's so slow compared to how it used to be. Alot of games I used to be able to run on medium settings now barely run on low. I will turn the oc off but would it be worth just buying a new cpu and motherboard?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
AMD-Overdrive.png

It's in blue in the above image.

bryanc723

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2015
I just don't understand why it's so slow compared to how it used to be. Alot of games I used to be able to run on medium settings now barely run on low. I will turn the oc off but would it be worth just buying a new cpu and motherboard?
I play skyrim SE heavily modded on ultra with an average of about 55 fps.
Mobo: Asus m5a78l-m lx plus
Cpu: fx 8350
GPU radeon r9 fury
8gb ddr3 ram

I locked my processor at 4ghz so it doesn't go to 4.2 with a stock cooler. I dropped the power on my gpu 10% as well. I did this because the power phasing and VRMs on these mobos are pretty poor. My gpu is slightly more powerful than yours while being much more power hungry, so you should be able to run it at stock settings easily. The socket on these boards is rated for a max of 125 watts, so overclocking the chip exceeds those limits as well, again back to poor power phasing.
It really sounds like a driver issue or throttling issue. Does it do this through the entire game, or does it get consistantly worse during gameplay? If it is the latter, probably more of a temp issue, and the former would be more of a driver issue.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The socket on these boards is rated for a max of 125 watts, so overclocking the chip exceeds those limits as well, again back to poor power phasing.
Negative.
That motherboard may be advertised to handle the 125w parts, but their design does not reflect this.
A weak 4+1 phase mobo will be short-lived running with a 125w part. At best, users shouldn't be running more than the 95w FX-6xxx series in them.

It's why people who made such poor pairings were forced to downclock and undervolt those cpus; a stock FX-8350 will still burn out that motherboard.
It should be run in a 6+2 phase board or higher.

bryanc723

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2015
Negative.
That motherboard may be advertised to handle the 125w parts, but their design does not reflect this.
A weak 4+1 phase mobo will be short-lived running with a 125w part. At best, users shouldn't be running more than the 95w FX-6xxx series in them.

It's why people who made such poor pairings were forced to downclock and undervolt those cpus; a stock FX-8350 will still burn out that motherboard.
It should be run in a 6+2 phase board or higher.
Did you not read my other posts? I specified I did basically that exact same thing due to the boards power issues. Mine doesn't seem to have any issue running the 125w chip, just don't let it turbo. Same with my gpu. The ONLY reason I haven't upgraded mobos in 10 years is because the POS one I bought with my fx4300 back in the day still works. And it's been overloaded for 3 years now.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
That I did.
You're giving the M5A78L-M a little too much credit - due to your experience with it - by saying that it'll still be fine with locking the FX-8350 at 4.0ghz.
The difference between one running at 4.2 and 4.0ghz is what, 5w - MAYBE 10w? Still not great for that old mobo.

Reactions: aldan