Jul 27, 2021
Hi, recently my old motherboard died and so I had to get a new one. Having AMD Fx-8350, I looked for AM3+ motherboard, I found Gigabyte GA-M68MT-S2 rev 3.1, which is AM3+ motherboard, but sadly I didn't check compatibility and although it supports AM3+ not all of them seem to be "compatible". I noticed that for CPU power it has 4 pins instead of 8 pins that my old motherboard used to have. After reading some other forums i decided to try and put my fx-8350 in and launch it anyways (whats the worst that can happen). And it launched. Im still scared to keep it running so i keep it off for now. Should I be scared? Should I avoid using those two components?

Solution
Hi, recently my old motherboard died and so I had to get a new one. Having AMD Fx-8350, I looked for AM3+ motherboard, I found Gigabyte GA-M68MT-S2 rev 3.1, which is AM3+ motherboard, but sadly I didn't check compatibility and although it supports AM3+ not all of them seem to be "compatible". I noticed that for CPU power it has 4 pins instead of 8 pins that my old motherboard used to have. After reading some other forums i decided to try and put my fx-8350 in and launch it anyways (whats the worst that can happen). And it launched. Im still scared to keep it running so i keep it off for now. Should I be scared? Should I avoid using those two components?
It's supposedly compatible with FX-8100 series CPU's, so it's close at...
It's supposedly compatible with FX-8100 series CPU's, so it's close at least.

Watch two things: VRM temperature and the temperature of the 4 pin power plug. You can use the 'touch test': if you can't keep your finger on any of the FET's it's probably going to die sooner than later. If you can't keep a finger on the 4 pin power plug's plastic body or wires it's probably going to melt soon.

This is where it's good to have an IR thermometer.

You can glue some heatsinks on the FET's and cool them a bit with a fan blowing air across them. Not much you can do about the 4 pin power, hopefully the other 4 pins aren't really necessary.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diprak
Solution