Question Fx 8350 or ryzen 3 2200g for world of warcraft

fleetcore0117

Commendable
Oct 15, 2018
So im currently using an fx6300 32 gb ddr3 ar 1600mhz and a saphire rx 470 4gb mining card(has dvi-d) would it be better to get an fx 8350 or do a ryzen build using the same gpu and an asrock b450m pro 4 and flare x at 3200mhz? Ive read up on this a little bit but im lost because the ryzen build will be 308$ on new egg and the fx would be 58$ and if i go fx ill be using the asrock 970m pro 3 for a new mobo. I tend to run a few thing in the background like tsm and nzxt cam, for both setups the cpu cooler will be cryorig h7 plus

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
WoW is just starting to get decent multicore support, but FX cores are so weak the Ryzen will still demolish it in performance. Spending ANY money upgrading an FX build especially if you need another motherboard is a waste, in fact the 8350 may as well perform almost the same as your 6300. Sell your hardware while it still has some value and get the Ryzen build.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
So, if I am looking at this correctly you would be in around $120 on the FX "upgrade" vs the ~$300 on the Ryzen.
What complicates the issue is having the 32BB of DDR3 RAM....otherwise, it's rather a waste to spend on that FX at all. Even at that, stepping into a 2200G will be better, for sure, but isn't mind boggling gaming performance unto itself.
If you spend on the FX it's a complete waste as being dead end socket. If you spend "more" on the Ryzen you still have some upgrade path.

I think if I were in your boat I would probably go with a Ryzen update if you have in your budget to get a significant amount of memory now (16GB) and also have plans to update that CPU in the near term, say like when "Ryzen 3xxx" breaks. I would purchase a good mobo in anticipation of that. Otherwise, even budgeting, you are just throwing money out.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
IIRC WoW is mostly single-thread performance bound, so upgrading to a 8350 isn't really going to do much that couldn't be achieved with a mild overclock. That being said, as mentioned above your motherboard isn't the best, idk if it's up for much overclocking.

fleetcore0117

Commendable
Oct 15, 2018
So, if I am looking at this correctly you would be in around $120 on the FX "upgrade" vs the ~$300 on the Ryzen.
What complicates the issue is having the 32BB of DDR3 RAM....otherwise, it's rather a waste to spend on that FX at all. Even at that, stepping into a 2200G will be better, for sure, but isn't mind boggling gaming performance unto itself.
If you spend on the FX it's a complete waste as being dead end socket. If you spend "more" on the Ryzen you still have some upgrade path.

I think if I were in your boat I would probably go with a Ryzen update if you have in your budget to get a significant amount of memory now (16GB) and also have plans to update that CPU in the near term, say like when "Ryzen 3xxx" breaks. I would purchase a good mobo in anticipation of that. Otherwise, even budgeting, you are just throwing money out.
So would the asrock x370m pro 4 be a good board for overclocking and future upgrades? Atx boards are a no go for me btw

TRENDING THREADS