[SOLVED] FX 8350 overheating ? Causing shut down ?

Jan 5, 2020
Greetings,

My PC build has an old 8350 fx that i think it's overheating. However i would like to ask different opinions and see if these temps are normal for this model and if it's possible to lower them.

While in gaming sessions MSI afterburner shows that this beast goes to 75 to even 77 degrees, This seems insanely high and i have to ask myself why ?

The thermal paste is new, and PC case has noctua fans all over that are set to from the front of the case to draw cold air in and the back of the case to suck the warm one out.

Also, sometimes my PC instantly shuts down while gaming. Not the shut down procedure but an instant turn off pc ,like somebody would pull the power chord off.

It's not an PSU issue as i replaced it a few days ago. Is the overheat causing this ?

Solution
Yeah the 360mm AIO was an exaggeration as some FX CPUs had a 220W TDP at stock and once OCed they reach 300W or more.

I don't understand why some FX CPUs had a max temp of 57C.

The FX 9590 and 9370 both had 220w TDP and needed an AIO and a ton of case fans to even consider working properly. The reason for the AIO though was to draw the heat exchange away from the CPU area, and then cool the VRMs separately just so it would run. Trying to cool both (like with air) was just too much heat in one spot.

The temp listed on the site (57C, 61C, etc) is not comparable to what you would traditionally consider for CPU temperature (say for example an Intel CPU running at 80C). FX CPU's didn't have a normal temp sensor that you could...

bryanc723

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2015
That's about the temperature before the chip throttles itsself. It is indeed high, but not unusual or abnormal. Can be lowered by a better cooler, maybe liquid, or perhapse lowering the clock speed on the chip. Being an older chip it might not be worth investing in a better cooling system tho. But like I said, not unusual.

Reactions: Senpusha
Jan 5, 2020
That's about the temperature before the chip throttles itsself. It is indeed high, but not unusual or abnormal. Can be lowered by a better cooler, maybe liquid, or perhapse lowering the clock speed on the chip. Being an older chip it might not be worth investing in a better cooling system tho. But like I said, not unusual.

Thank you for the reply.

I am looking to buy a new CPU and MB in a few months, was mostly looking at the 3900 Ryzen but that's around spring time.

Would you say that the CPU overheating is causing these instant power offs on my system ?

I don't think MSI Afterburner is accurate for AMD chips though. I think you want to use HWMonitor if im not mistaken.

Anyway as far as upgrading your CPU yeah it's probably a good idea, the FX was a very disappointing chip even new. If this is a gaming rig a 3900 will probably be overkill as the performance between all the Ryzens is very similar, its only when you throw in things like streaming and gaming when the extra cores really come into play. Or if you do heavy multi core/thread work.

bryanc723

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2015
Thank you for the reply.

I am looking to buy a new CPU and MB in a few months, was mostly looking at the 3900 Ryzen but that's around spring time.

Would you say that the CPU overheating is causing these instant power offs on my system ?

That's a big maybe. It definantly could be, but the more likely culprits would be the power supply or even software bugs. Usually a CPU will throttle before it just shuts down the computer.
You could try underclocking it a bit and see if the problem persists under load or if the temps are still getting too high at something like 3.7ghz. It wouldn't tell you if it wasn't the CPU, but it would definitely tell you that it is. Troubleshooting is a pain and I am no expert.

Jan 5, 2020
That's a big maybe. It definantly could be, but the more likely culprits would be the power supply or even software bugs. Usually a CPU will throttle before it just shuts down the computer.
You could try underclocking it a bit and see if the problem persists under load or if the temps are still getting too high at something like 3.7ghz. It wouldn't tell you if it wasn't the CPU, but it would definitely tell you that it is. Troubleshooting is a pain and I am no expert.

It's not the power supply as i recenely changed it.

Used to have a seasonic 620 watt bronze, now i have a seasonic 850 watt gold. Truth be told , it did the error more often on the 620 while on the 850 it only did it once. Maybe i just got lucky with it not shutting down as often on the 850 PSU, but i don't think it's the PSU.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I don't think MSI Afterburner is accurate for AMD chips though. I think you want to use HWMonitor if im not mistaken.
Afterburner isn't accurate for AMD FX chips and neither is HWMonitor.
HWINFO only works if the sensors are changed to 'detect distance to thermal margin'.

It's best to just use AMD Overdrive though.

Used to have a seasonic 620 watt bronze, now i have a seasonic 850 watt gold. Truth be told , it did the error more often on the 620 while on the 850 it only did it once. Maybe i just got lucky with it not shutting down as often on the 850 PSU, but i don't think it's the PSU.
Check your temps through AMD Overdrive. As long as the thermal margin is over 10C, it's fine.

What is the make and model of the motherboard?
Cpu cooler?

Reactions: TJ Hooker
Jan 5, 2020
Greetings,

My PC build has an old 8350 fx that i think it's overheating. However i would like to ask different opinions and see if these temps are normal for this model and if it's possible to lower them.

While in gaming sessions MSI afterburner shows that this beast goes to 75 to even 77 degrees, This seems insanely high and i have to ask myself why ?

The thermal paste is new, and PC case has noctua fans all over that are set to from the front of the case to draw cold air in and the back of the case to suck the warm one out.

Also, sometimes my PC instantly shuts down while gaming. Not the shut down procedure but an instant turn off pc ,like somebody would pull the power chord off.

It's not an PSU issue as i replaced it a few days ago. Is the overheat causing this ?

This can be due to many issues: dusty as anything, cooler not on the correct settings in your bios, cpu fan failure or old thermal paste needing to be replaced.

If it is dusty get a tin of compressed air and unleash it (just don't freeze your system I won't be responsible for damage)

Go into your bios and change the cpu fan to this:
40% speed at 30°c (86°f)
50% speed at 50°c (122°f)
80% speed at 80°c. (176°f)
100% speed at 90°c (194°f)
100% speed at 100°c (212°f)

Fan failure I'd just get a new fan for it.

Thermal paste: take off the fan wipe off the old paste (with a piece of tissue) and add more paste

bryanc723

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2015

The next step in line this direction would be the surge protector or wall if you're not using one(bad!).
Some good facts about stuff in other posts and such, but assuming airflow isn't an issue with the power down, your newer psu could have just mitigated a problem further down the power line.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
What motherboard are you using? Did you previously have another CPU in it and are now running this one? What CPU cooler specific model do you have? Did it ever work right?

As mentioned most programs don't measure temps right, but if it shutting down like that, and you already replaced the PSU, its not the PSU, its probably overheating, though it would throttle first before shutting off. AMD Overdrive, show us the temp page under load.

Jan 5, 2020
Thank you for the replies so far.

As for the motherboard, i am using a GA-990XA-UD3.

I shall try some fine tuning with amd overdrive / bios settings and see if it helps.

Greetings,

You CPU throttles at 61C according to AMD which is pretty low, you would need a beefy 360mm AIO to keep it below 61C at load. That's not worth it as its a very old CPU.

https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/fx-8350

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
You CPU throttles at 61C according to AMD which is pretty low, you would need a beefy 360mm AIO to keep it below 61C at load. That's not worth it as its a very old CPU.

https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/fx-8350

Thats not how FX processors work, you do not need a 360 AIO to cool this CPU, and in fact when using an AIO you end up with little to no VRM cooling (unless you use a Cryorig with the extra fan) which is worse for this CPU.

I mean no offense, but if you're going to answer this type of question, please understand how the system you are talking about works.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Thats not how FX processors work, you do not need a 360 AIO to cool this CPU, and in fact when using an AIO you end up with little to no VRM cooling (unless you use a Cryorig with the extra fan) which is worse for this CPU.

I mean no offense, but if you're going to answer this type of question, please understand how the system you are talking about works.
Yeah the 360mm AIO was an exaggeration as some FX CPUs had a 220W TDP at stock and once OCed they reach 300W or more.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

The FX 9590 and 9370 both had 220w TDP and needed an AIO and a ton of case fans to even consider working properly. The reason for the AIO though was to draw the heat exchange away from the CPU area, and then cool the VRMs separately just so it would run. Trying to cool both (like with air) was just too much heat in one spot.

The temp listed on the site (57C, 61C, etc) is not comparable to what you would traditionally consider for CPU temperature (say for example an Intel CPU running at 80C). FX CPU's didn't have a normal temp sensor that you could measure to get this number, hence why normal software (HWMonitor, etc) can't be used to measure FX CPU temps. They use an array of temp sensors to come up with the thermal margin. Overdrive shows this. 0C is max temp, anything positive, is overheating. But that max temp is based on how much thermal headroom those sensors, as a group, have. It is not a fixed number or limit. So for example an FX cpu, thats running cool and well, under idle would show something like -50C, and under full load would show -15C.

Reactions: Zizo007
Solution

The temp listed on the site (57C, 61C, etc) is not comparable to what you would traditionally consider for CPU temperature (say for example an Intel CPU running at 80C). FX CPU's didn't have a normal temp sensor that you could measure to get this number, hence why normal software (HWMonitor, etc) can't be used to measure FX CPU temps. They use an array of temp sensors to come up with the thermal margin. Overdrive shows this. 0C is max temp, anything positive, is overheating. But that max temp is based on how much thermal headroom those sensors, as a group, have. It is not a fixed number or limit. So for example an FX cpu, thats running cool and well, under idle would show something like -50C, and under full load would show -15C.
Thanks for the clarification.

Jan 5, 2020
Greetings everyone. Sorry for the late reply.

I have been running several stress tests to check out if indeed is a temperature issue.

Yesterday the PC instantly turned off while playing World of Warcraft not even 10 minutes in the game.

I used Unigine performance and benchmark tests as well as OCCT 5 to test my hardware and it's temperatures.

Both software peaked my GPU to around 71 degress while the CPU hovewered at around 79. I ran both of these for around 15 to 20 minutes and the PC did not turn off.

I can't seem to isolate the case at all.It's very random when it happens.

Regardless, i bought an EVO 212 CPU cooler that i will mount tomorow and change the thermal paste and see if it lowers the CPU temperature and if this was the issue.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Both software peaked my GPU to around 71 degress while the CPU hovewered at around 79. I ran both of these for around 15 to 20 minutes and the PC did not turn off.

Again, your CPU was not 79 degrees. Whatever you are using to measure it is wrong.

Thermal Margin, Measured by AMD Overdrive is the ONLY correct way to evaluate your CPU's cooling with an FX Processor, Period.

Reactions: Senpusha
Jan 5, 2020
Again, your CPU was not 79 degrees. Whatever you are using to measure it is wrong.

Thermal Margin, Measured by AMD Overdrive is the ONLY correct way to evaluate your CPU's cooling with an FX Processor, Period.

I'm going to test it with Overdrive right now. Thank you.

EDIT : to be fair, the jumps between temperatures seem to differ quite often.

I see jumps between 64 - 59 - 72 - 77 - 61

In patterns like that.

I will take your advice and check it with the overdrive.

Jan 5, 2020

TRENDING THREADS