Question FX 8350 Overheating (Time for a new one?)

drawingmyday

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2012
Normally I'm able to fix these things on my own but I'm really at a loss here guys :(

So I have two systems in the house with an FX-8350 CPU and a Asrock 970 Extreme 4 Mobo. One runs idle at around 23 degrees. And one at around 45-50 degrees (yes, when there's no load whatsoever).

The latter is my issue as it's being used by my boyfriend as a gaming pc, so once the cpu temp reaches 62 degrees or more, his fps instantly drops from anything 60+ to 8-11 fps for 10 seconds or so, everything goes back to normal and of course the same happens 30 seconds later. So this is driving him absolutely crazy as he recently bought a new vega 56 card and quad hd freesync monitor, thinking that his old GTX 960 and monitor were causing the issue.

That's where I came in.

So a classic FX overheating issue. But I have no idea what's causing it. I recently applied new thermal paste (tried it twice, first with a little less and then a little more, it fixed around 2-3 degrees in idle the second time). The CPU cooler is Scythe Mugen 4. The case has a good airflow and extra fans, no dust. There are no active OC settings. Bios settings are defaults.

I'm really at a loss and I'm at the point where I'm wondering: can a once decent running CPU simply be overheating by to due to age and exhaustion? Like old people? :rolleyes:

Apparently this framedrop issue has been going on for longer than a year he told me.

Am I possibly missing something here or is it simply time for a new CPU? (I can't test it using the other fx-8350 as it's not mine).

Some CPU-Z / CPUID / Speedfan Readings during Hitman 2:

fx8350-readings-hitman.jpg

Full system specs:

CPU: AMD FX-8350 (Cooler: Scythe Mugen 4)
MOBO: Asrock 970 Extreme 4
RAM: Kingston HyperX 12 GB DDR3 (1866 Mhz)
GPU: Sapphire RX VEGA 56 8GB
PSU: Corsair CX600M
HDD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD
CASE: Corsair Carbide SPEC-1 Red

Last edited:

yqd321

Prominent
Sep 1, 2019
1.Don't put your PC in a tight place to allow air to cool it.
2.Get your PC cleaned by a professional.
3.Reapply CPU thermal paste.
4.Upgrade your PC's cooling system by adding extra fans or water cooling it.

drawingmyday

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2012
1.Don't put your PC in a tight place to allow air to cool it.
2.Get your PC cleaned by a professional.
3.Reapply CPU thermal paste.
4.Upgrade your PC's cooling system by adding extra fans or water cooling it.

Thanks, but as I mentioned in my post, none of these things is the issue. It's not in a tight place. It's not hot in the room. there's no dust in the case or the fans, it has extra fans, it has new cpu thermal paste.

LB23

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2013
Almost seems like your fan on the CPU isnt spinning up all the way. The barrings my have failed. If you have a spare fan or move one of the case fans onto the CPU cooler and check the temps again.

TRENDING THREADS