Reputable
Feb 18, 2015
Build:
AMD FX-8350
Asus 970 Pro
EVGA GTX 1070
Corsair H100i v2
Thermaltake 650W smart

So I just put my computer back together and I have been experiencing some really fluctuating stats about my CPU speed. I have CPU-Z open right now and it is at ~1.05V and at 1.5ghz. When I boot the computer it is at 4.4ghz and around ~1.5V (can't remember exact number). Then it fluctuates between speeds and stays at very low power. I just installed CS:GO just to see and im getting 40FPS average on medium settings.
Can someone help me figure out what's wrong?
Thanks.

Solution
Voltages are a little low, but within margins of error. Not to worry.

128C on the die is impossible, it melts at 110C.

The temperature sensor in your CPU is not functioning properly. Do not worry about the temperatures, they're wrong.

Here's what it looks like is happening... Your CPU is an older model of the 8350 (from the first batch) and lowers its clock speed when under less than 5% usage. It takes it a few seconds to kick up all the way to it's full turbo speed, and that's to be expected with the older ones. There is no problem here.

Replacing the CPU would fix the thermal sensor issue, which would stop it from downclocking while gaming. But it's your choice if you want to pay for a new one.

Remember to clean the cooler...

Jeremy_10

Reputable
Feb 18, 2015

I'm not sure. I started a benchmark with cpuz just to see while playing csgo, and then the volts and speed go up with the bench the fps in game goes up.

Please download AIDA64 Extreme.

Drop down the Tools menu, select System Stability Test, select everything except for local disk. Run the test for ten minutes, post a screenshot of the Statistics tab.

Please note that you must upload your photo to an image hosting site like Imgur or Google Drive, then copy paste the link into the reply box. If using Google Drive, make sure Link Sharing is turned on.

Jeremy_10

Reputable
Feb 18, 2015

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B51XQHbT9L_8TzB0dl9qaFl5Z0U

Voltages are a little low, but within margins of error. Not to worry.

128C on the die is impossible, it melts at 110C.

The temperature sensor in your CPU is not functioning properly. Do not worry about the temperatures, they're wrong.

Here's what it looks like is happening... Your CPU is an older model of the 8350 (from the first batch) and lowers its clock speed when under less than 5% usage. It takes it a few seconds to kick up all the way to it's full turbo speed, and that's to be expected with the older ones. There is no problem here.

Replacing the CPU would fix the thermal sensor issue, which would stop it from downclocking while gaming. But it's your choice if you want to pay for a new one.

Remember to clean the cooler and the new CPU before mounting the cooler to the CPU (if you replace the CPU).

Personally, I would sell the individual components of this system separately (you'll get more out of it that way) and then build an Intel system. Currently, AMD doesn't have anything that competes with even the current i3-6320 (currently in production batch #3 from what I've read).

Solution

Jeremy_10

Reputable
Feb 18, 2015

Well I played it for about an hour, and it never changed. The sensor that says that the cpu should give more power to the operation was not detecting anything I imagine. I went into the bios and changed it so it would not save power and it seemed to do the trick. I changed the settings around so that I can activate it easily when booting and when I don't think I need to use it I keep the power management on.

Cyber-Freak

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
Hi Jeremy, I would make sure that you grab the Corsair Link Controller (maybe even hook up the USB cable to the motherboard) and get some accurate temperatures. My AMD 8350 + H80i GT seem to be getting 30 degrees Celsius at idle.

By the sounds of everything you might have already solved the problem by going into your BIOS and adjusting the CPU settings. (yes some cores might have been disabled in the BIOS or on the motherboard. Other settings might have also gotten corrupted.)