FX-8350 Should i get a 970 or 990FX MOBO?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
For around 100$, best AM3+ board for OC is the Gigabyte ga-970a-ud3, due to its advanced 8+2 phases power design. Boards with just 4+1 or 4+2 phases power design like the M5A97 R2.0 are not recommended to be used to OC an octa-core FX CPU.

990FX chipset give you mostly SLI support. Since you only picked a corsair cx600 I think you don't intend to get another 7870 to crossfire in the future, so it's not bad to stick to a good 970 board to save some cash. Actual OC ability depends on the board itself.

But, if it's ok to push your build to maximum 1000$, I'd suggest changing the board to a GA-990XFA-UD3 for more high-end features and connectors.

Build with 990fxa-ud3 : http://pcpartpicker.com/p/16aQH
With 970a-ud3 ...

From digging around the only real difference is SLi/and Crossfire support. So if you stick to one card you'll be fine with a 970 and yes you can overclock. Would a 990FX chipset board be more poised to handle voltages in overclocking better perhaps and that may be something to consider.

Vladimir83

Honorable
Mar 21, 2013

Main difference between 970/990 north bridge is in the PCIe lanes number.First(970) has one PCIe2.0 16x,and the former(990) has two PCIe2.0 16x slots for VGA cards.Important if you ever plan on Xfire.

For the OCing capabilities.I would say its more important the manufacturers execution of the board than the chipset itself(at least in this case).Voltage regulators/power phases,stability,BIOS etc etc.

For your case it wouldn't be important if it is 970 or 990.So go for the cheapest one.Asus makes some really good motherboards .

For around 100$, best AM3+ board for OC is the Gigabyte ga-970a-ud3, due to its advanced 8+2 phases power design. Boards with just 4+1 or 4+2 phases power design like the M5A97 R2.0 are not recommended to be used to OC an octa-core FX CPU.

990FX chipset give you mostly SLI support. Since you only picked a corsair cx600 I think you don't intend to get another 7870 to crossfire in the future, so it's not bad to stick to a good 970 board to save some cash. Actual OC ability depends on the board itself.

But, if it's ok to push your build to maximum 1000$, I'd suggest changing the board to a GA-990XFA-UD3 for more high-end features and connectors.

Build with 990fxa-ud3 : http://pcpartpicker.com/p/16aQH
With 970a-ud3 : http://pcpartpicker.com/p/16aSy

Solution

+1^ to best answer
And that is great information so pretty much the quality of the board is such that it won't hold you back overclocking wise. It's worth while to get the gigabyte board and save a little in the process more than likely. And also to note for most going with a multi gpu solution is not the way to go.

Forte EXE

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013

yea i heard that crossfireing or sliing causes alot of complications or needs like alot of constant bios updates and is more hassel then its worth

Well its not constant bios updates per says its just that you run into things like latency, stuttering scaling, higher power requirements its just in the end best to get the single best gpu you can afford and by the time you need more performance the new stuff will be out.

Status
Not open for further replies.