FX-8350 Stock cooler

rbeasley14

Honorable
Mar 29, 2013
I have an FX-8350 4.0GHz with the stock cooler as well as a AMD 7870 2GB OC edition. I have a huge problem when I play any game on any settings Ultra or Low, after about 1-3minutes of playing the CPU goes crazy temps get to about 65 degrees and the fan speed (monitored in HW monitor and SpeedFan) hits 5000rpm. I have to shut down the game because I think I'm going to blow the CPU. I have the ASUS M5A97 r2.0 motherboard although I'm not sure that's the problem. I have a averagely cooled system (2 120mm fans at the back and side panel exhausting air and a 140mm on the front as an intake fan). Is it the stock cooler that is the problem? I've also tried controlling fan speeds but it just gets too hot 60-70 degrees.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
65C-70c is not to hot....if you hit the upper 70c or low 80s then you have an issue.....stock coolers are known for being loud under full load. your fine though i might suggest getting an aftermarket cooler for quiets sake ;) that and lower temps! it would give you some more overclocking head room too.

Its pretty high considering AMDs TJmax. Not damaging though. Consider a cooler.

rbeasley14

Honorable
Mar 29, 2013
At the moment the CPU doesn't get over 65 degrees and the GPU stays under 60. My real worry is the fan speed, 10mins on BF3 (empty server) and its running at 5113RPM, can this damage my CPU at all? Im going to look at a new cooler but I dont want to mess anything up by running on the stock cooler.

I doubt that number is accurate. A fan is limited within its specs, so no damage can occur. If if the fan fails the PC will shut down automatically and not get any harm. So don't worry.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador

high fan speeds won't hurt your cpu, just your ears. its the temp that matters... <= 65 is just fine for cpu temps

rojodogg

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
Get you a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan (RR-212E-20PK-R2) It is the best low budget cooler on the market and probably the most popular. You can always find it for under $35 and if you check around it is always on sale somewhere. Did you check to make sure that your stock cooler is making good contact or check to make sure your thermal paste is not to thick. Also you can get better fans for your case for under $15 that are more quiet and have better efficiency.

Careful with that "efficiency" word... hehe

Ilya Makovetskiy

Honorable
Sep 10, 2013

You might also want to make the side panel fan an intake. That is the normal way to set it up so it blows fresh air on the video card. One intake and three exhausts is no good you probably have some negative air pressure happening.

rojodogg

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013

I agree that you should change your fans around, 3 intake and one exhaust to get the most cool air into your system. Download speedfan to better check you temps. Make sure you heatsink has the proper amount of thermalpaste and is seated properly.

firefoxx04

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
I dont think AMD likes their chips going above 65*C.. It wont kill it but dont make it a habit. Intel chips tend to get hotter than that but I think intel says anything over 85-90 is what kills their chips.

Id go for a decent aftermarket. Usually anything will work much better than stock but do some research and see what works best for your budget.

http://www.newegg.com/CPU-Fans-Heatsinks/SubCategory/ID-574

Dont sort by CPU socket, most of those will wok on an AM3+ just check the specs of the cooler when you find one you like. Newegg tends to filter out the wrong heatsinks when you specify a certain socket.

Bull... TJMax is 100+C for Ivy/Sandy/Haswell...

They won't die from overheating ether unless you disabled the safeties.

Intel CPU START throttling at 98C + while AMD start at 63C+.

pds41

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2013

My FX 8350 was hitting 68 degrees very quickly under load and throttling back to about 1ghz on cores to maintain 68.9C. I contacted AMD support and they said that they don't think it should go above 61.1C and told me to RMA the chip.

I suppose the number of people running higher than that either means that they have had manufacturing issues on the chips or that they've put out a load of coolers with the chips that just can't do the job.

marce99

Honorable
Jan 11, 2014
This is awkward, even with an ambient temp of 35°-40°C i haven't reached those 65° C running BF4 at max settings (maybe it's not a taxing game). I have an AMD FX-8350 4ghz, Sapphire Radeon 7870OC edition, Gigabyte 990fxa ud3 and 8gb Gskill sniper 1866 (2x4) and a viewsonic 24" full hd monitor (I'm not in my house right now and i don't remember the model). I have all that into an Aerocool templarius telum black, with one 120mm intake fan in the front, another one as exhaust in the rear, and another 3 120mm fan at the top (exhaust) which i turn on when gaming or i use them at low speed when the ambient temp is high (30° and above). The PSU (NXZT hale82 650w) is at the bottom of the case. GPU temps at idle (using firefox and watching flash contents) may rise to 38-41°. My CPU doesn't reach above 50C° (I only watched temps when I started using that computer, then i relied on the CPU fan noise, which is annoying), actually I think it's 40°C. When gaming GPU temps arise to 60-65C° depending on the title (I play league of legends most of the time, without those ugly shadows, temps doesn't reach 45°), the only time I reached those 70C° was playing metro 2033 (max settings), playing for a while, and my CPU was near those 65°.
I might add i have two old sata2 drives, but i did some cable management, which allows for a clear air flow, which in my opinion, is quite good. This is the first "high performance" computer I have built, before this one I had low-medium performance parts, and airflow wasn't so important. I'm kinda limited by the high taxes and this goverment (Argentina) but this is how far i could go. Now I'm planing on going for a new CPU Cooler because i cannot stand this stock fan, but I'm still surprised by your numbers.
Also, despite materials and building processes, Intel haswell-Ivy bridge processors shouldn't be push ahead AMD on CPU temps, because they'r built on a 22-28nm process, and the AMD parts (except GPU) are 32nm, which theoretically means they should support higher temps. AMD puts a 65C° limit just to warn you that there's something wrong and that you should consider another option just to allow your CPU to have a longer life.
PD: I do some cleaning at least once a year. I dissmantle every single part, even the coolers, and I clean every single part and I also change the thermal paste. Last time i used Artic cooling MX4, but before that i've been using a generic one (i was a bit dissapointed as I espected a little bit of difference with this change, and I only got 1°C, maybe 2°C less). I apply an special oil for fans, which isn't expensive at all (and you need one or two drops). I enjoy doing all this. You may wanna try this at least once.