Fx 8350 "stuck" at 79c

Digitalbuzz

Reputable
Mar 30, 2015
2 days ago my psu died and I just got a new one today. I got a RM 850 (Factory Refurbished). When I booted my pc up I noticed in the bios that the cpu was running at 79c. Even though i checked connections and ran a benchmark there was no difference in performance. Im using a H80i GT as the cooler and it seems to be doing its job (even the tubes feel warm). In the corsair link software the cpu temp fluctuates regularly but is not moving AT ALL. I have a feeling that a sensor or something isnt working. I would like some help.

Cpu: FX 8350

Mobo: Gigabyte 970A - UD3P

Thanks

Thanks

Digitalbuzz

Reputable
Mar 30, 2015
actually i read it wrong...

i was looking at the logging and tempin0 says that but if i look at cpu status the thermal margin is at -9.2c.

I think a sensor might be broken or something

No. It means 9.2c over the max temp. That is 79c. Your system is overheating. Are you overclocking? or have changes any BIOS settings? If so, reset BIOS to default.

What are you using for cpu cooling? If it is stock cooler, then replace it with an aftermarket one. Get the Cryorig H7, it is better than the 212 evo.

Also, is that 79c when max load?

Digitalbuzz

Reputable
Mar 30, 2015
My pc thinks that it is at 79c when its not. The cooler is functioning correctly because I tested it on another computer. Just that I think my psu when it died might have killed the temp sensor. The temp does not move it stays at one temp like its frozen (even in the bios). My cpu is not currently overclocked but has been previously to the psu dying. it was clocked to about 4.5 but then to 4.2-3. The bios has not been changed other than the ram set to 1866 (2x4gb 2400).

Digitalbuzz

Reputable
Mar 30, 2015

btw I dont want to overclock anymore and I want to know whats up with my temps.

Well it would be impossible to stabilize any overclocking without accurate temps readings, so OC is off the table.

Try resitting the cpu cooler and make to proper replace thermal paste.

I don't know of any other ways to bypass the mobo temp sensors.

Digitalbuzz

Reputable
Mar 30, 2015

Right., I resat the cooler and put a dot of Arctic silver 5 in the middle of the cpu. When I took the cooler off it was about 45 seconds after the computer was shut off and it wasn't burning hot. So my conclusion at this point is the temp sensor might have died..

Digitalbuzz

Reputable
Mar 30, 2015

I do bevlieve there is still a warenty on the motherboard. I got it from microcenter as a open box so maybe I could bring it back and say that the temp sensor died.

Ah. Here is a tip on MicroCenter's clearance/open box section. I live by one as well, and I have gotten to know a few of the sales folks there. They told me to avoid section because all of the mobo are used and have not been checked or passed any quality control before being tossed back on the shelves.

Digitalbuzz

Reputable
Mar 30, 2015

I know they do that but this board was working fine until the psu died and messed it up. I like open boxes because of the discount but its a hit or miss.

JRedmond

Reputable
Aug 28, 2014

Hey i know this is a super old post but im having the same issue with a Gigabyte board Lol i switched out the motherboard to asus and the power supply to a EVGA p2 and its still happening i replaced the cpu temps went right back to normal and running it at the tempature your sensors arent wrong you could be harming the motherboard while your at it.