FX-8350 Throttling performance at 60 C

Sep 29, 2018
I have an FX-8350 and recently when it hits 60c it throttles or bottlenecks causing frame drops in-game, it's quite annoying and I never had this problem before, I have changed nothing and I clean my pc monthly, I even put on some new thermal paste. I used Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Thermal Grease Paste. I have 7 fans in my pc, 3 intake, and 4 exhaust, 3 in the front 3 on top and 1 in back. My PC is also off of the floor.

SPECS:
FX-8350
MSI 970 Gaming Motherboard
Corsair H60 Liquid Cooler
Kingston 2133MHz DDR3
Gigabyte R9 380
EVGA SuperNOVA NEX650G 80PLUS Gold
H440 Mid Tower Case

Solution
60C is the MAXIMUM safe operating temperature for all FX processors, however, it's not actually possible to accurately measure them in that way. If you are reaching thermals that are less than 10°C distance to TJmax, then you have exceeded the limits of your cooling or your overclock.

Where is your radiator located? How are the fans mounted on it and what direction are they blowing?

Is your CPU overclocked?

What are you using to monitor thermals? You do realize that thermal monitoring on Bulldozer and Piledriver architecture cannot be accurately measured as "temp", right? You need to measure thermal margins, distance to TJmax, by using either Core Temp and going into the options and putting a check next to "show distance to TJmax in...
60C is the MAXIMUM safe operating temperature for all FX processors, however, it's not actually possible to accurately measure them in that way. If you are reaching thermals that are less than 10°C distance to TJmax, then you have exceeded the limits of your cooling or your overclock.

Where is your radiator located? How are the fans mounted on it and what direction are they blowing?

Is your CPU overclocked?

What are you using to monitor thermals? You do realize that thermal monitoring on Bulldozer and Piledriver architecture cannot be accurately measured as "temp", right? You need to measure thermal margins, distance to TJmax, by using either Core Temp and going into the options and putting a check next to "show distance to TJmax in temperature fields" or using AMD overdrive. No other method of thermal monitoring is appropriate for any Phenom or FX CPU.

AMD thermal sensors simply do not work correctly that way, and only thermal margin is an accurate method of monitoring thermal compliance on these architectures.

Solution