FX-8350 up to the gaming task?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

The future of games CPU war's- which do you think will run next-gen games better?

• CPU's with 8 cores = AMD fx-8350

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Intel's 4/6 cores - i7-4700k

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • YOU'R an idiot neither

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Yeah, he said 6-7 so I was wondering. If it loads up to 7 they would be quite even.

Seems for this 'next-gen' we'll all be looking at upgrading...

Here it is plain and simple if you can get the fx 8350 for 150 its the chip to get if you have to pick and its only 10 bucks away from the 4670 get that but it is a great cpu if it was not i would be crapping all over it.

paitjsu sadff

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014
yes the 8350 is a nice cpu, but i would highly recommand going with the 8320 as it has much better pricing and it is exactly the same chip...FX-8320, 8350, 9370 and 9590 all the same chips and nowadays they all hit at least 4.7 ghz stable with 1.5v on the core...the chips that are coming out of digital foundry these days all surpass the quality control of the early chips and i heard that nowadays only the 9590 are highly binned chip that reaches over 5ghz, all the other chips goes a different line and end up being lower end grade but they pretty much all reach very high overclocks so there's absolutely no need to pay premium for that anymore...my own fx-8320 reach 4.7 stable at 1.5v ifi want it to...

bigj1985

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
The fact is games that do end up utilizing more than 4 threads still end up performing better on the I5 due to the vastly superior IPC. There is not just a small gap in that area its HUGE.

With that being said games that do utilize more threads are still heavily dependant on at least 2 (heavy threads) to do most of the processing grunt while the remainder of the work is spread across multiple cores. Thats why you see Intel still pull ahead.

paitjsu sadff

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014

you got it all my man, real next gen games should in theory use more then 2 of those heavy threads and the FX-83xx CPU's will catch up and do better than core i5, or at least just as good...today's games still rely a lot on single-thread performance and good IPC but the hardware found in new mainstream console should change that real soon..

But the poll on this thread...the three choices should have been FX 8 core, Core i5 and core i7...
core i7 being the one everybody choose...if games can take advantage of hyperthreading in the future as well, the i7 will be no match for even an overclocked AMD 8 core i think...

TRENDING THREADS