FX-8350 V Core

A-J

Reputable
May 10, 2014
First of all here are my PC Specs:

CPU: AMD FX-8350 Stock Clocks
GPU: AMD HD 7870 XT Oc'd to 1100Mhz
RAM: AMD Entertainment 8GB
Motherboard: ASUS M5A78L-M LX V2 (Bios updated to accommodate FX-8350)
SSD/HDD: 64GB SSD (For OS) 1TB WD HDD
PSU: 600 OCZ StealthXtreme II 80 Plus

So I recently upgraded to the 8350 from a Fx-4100, the difference was huge, as expected,

However when I proceeded to playing Crysis 3, since that is one of the few games that uses all 8 cores/threads, and the CPU was performing awesomely, I was getting just over double the framerates I was getting with the 4100 in the grasslands area, where the missile tower is the first time, when you take it out with an alien lazer gun.

I was enjoying myself, then suddenly the CPU would start to throttle to 1400 Mhz, (no I didn't have Cool 'n' quiet on) and the game would also lag.

I found that my Socket temps were reaching 60C, which is apparently too hot for the socket, so it throttles the CPU.

I have turned off turbo core, changed the V-Core voltage from 1.308V, to 1.25V, and this seems to have allayed the problem, now the max temp it has ever reached is 56C, and that's when I was converting a video.

I was just wondering if this may have any negative effects, and if there is any way of knowing that if the under volting is stable or not.

Worst case it crashes and you have to up the voltage a little. Most of the time though AMD stock voltages are a little higher than they need to be anyway.
If it is unstable it'll either crash or freeze/BSOD and then you just have to bump the voltage up a little.