Fx-8350 vs dual E5-2670 v2

AndrewBilotti

Commendable
Dec 4, 2016
Userbenchmark says that the fx-8350 is better than the e5-2670 v2. I know the 8350 is about a year newer, but it isn't a server processor, and has 8 cores 8 threads while the 2670 has 10 cores 20 threads. Also, the motherboard I'm gonna get is 165 dollars (its used), so do you think its worth the money upgrading?

Edit: I realized my 8370 wasn't bottlenecking it, just my crap settings, and I decided for a few bucks more I will get dual 2680 v2s. Will this be a step backward or forward, because all turbo is is raising the clock speed for some cores and lowering it for others, right? And don't games like besiege, minecraft, and planet coaster use all the threads? Basically, how much of a step up will this be, considering 2 xeons have more cores than the new amd threadripper and just 200 mhz less of clock speed. Thanks!

Solution
Is this for gaming or multithreaded apps?
Passmark rating of FX-8350 is8943 when all 8 threads are fully utilized.
Single thread rating is 1594. Usually, it is the single thread rating that is most important for gaming.

The E5-2670V2 has a total rating of 15060 and essentially the same single thread rating of 1507.

For gaming, I think you would be making a sideways step.

To test how many threads you are actually using today, try this experiment:
You can do this in the windows msconfig boot advanced options option.
You will need to reboot for the change to take effect. Set the number of threads to less than you have.
This will tell you how sensitive your games are to the benefits of many threads.
If you see little difference, your...

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If your bottleneck is in gaming, the Xeon will be a downgrade. Games are not very good yet at efficiently using more than a few cores. Stay with the fast 8 core over the slow 10 core. Or OC the 8350. Mine was at 4.7 GHz and didn't bottleneck my R9-290X.

If you're talking about playing games, then no it isn't worth it. Is there some other reason you're focused on server parts? Until very recently, most games cared far more about single core performance with a few complementary threads. Those threads divided up whatever work could be split, but still depended on that main controlling thread which set the pace. Some newer games like BF1 and AotS can make better use of greater cores/threads, but they're the exception right now.

Is this for gaming or multithreaded apps?
Passmark rating of FX-8350 is8943 when all 8 threads are fully utilized.
Single thread rating is 1594. Usually, it is the single thread rating that is most important for gaming.

The E5-2670V2 has a total rating of 15060 and essentially the same single thread rating of 1507.

For gaming, I think you would be making a sideways step.

To test how many threads you are actually using today, try this experiment:
You can do this in the windows msconfig boot advanced options option.
You will need to reboot for the change to take effect. Set the number of threads to less than you have.
This will tell you how sensitive your games are to the benefits of many threads.
If you see little difference, your game does not need all the threads you have.

For gaming, look to a more modern kaby lake or ryzen platform.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS