FX 8350 w/ Crosshair IV Formula

The Crosshair IV Formula has the option to be a am3+ socket motherboard and run the first gen FX cpus with a bios update, does this now include the piledriver fx series? Asus says that up to the 8150 is compatible for the motherboard, but my friend thinks something is wrong with his x6 1090t because the 3rd core always deactivates and turns to a 5 core cpu.

richi3d10

Honorable
Oct 30, 2012
The Piledriver series is AM3+, so yes it will be compatible with your MOBO, the reason ASUS doesn't specify it in it's compatability chart is because it wasn't out when that MOBO was released.

i know that but the am3+ bulldozer cpus r on the list and the mobo is am3, its the bios update that allows them to be used, i did some research and found that piledriver since theres no new update specifying piledriver use that it wont work, kinda the reason i asked here if anyone has tried.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3/Crosshair_IV_Formula/, which was released as a AM3 motherboard and with the beta bios allows for use of AM3+ as im guessing its the same socket. the bios release its beta3027 which gives a link to the supported cpus which is all the bulldozer fx, and yes i understand that the bios will allow the use of the am3+ socket, id prefer not to buy the cpu, and then not work with his mobo.

I see that the first gen piledriver cpus are supported via beta drivers only but it hasn't been updated to add the 8350. I have both motherboards but I plan to install it on my Crosshair V so unfortunately I can't vouch that it will work or not. Until I see the BIOS updated on the ASUS site showing its supported, I'd have to assume it doesnt... yet.

That very well could change...

AMD does not officially support AM3+ compatibility with AM3. But yes, a few motherboard manufacturers have managed to get bios updates to make certain boards work, again, however, you need to be aware that AMD offers no official support, therefore, if you run into problems, you can't really complain.

Gigabyte had at least one out too. I thought you were in that thread, maybe not. Gigabyte took an AM3 board, repackaged it and sold it as an AM3+ board, the guy had all kinds of problems with it and I did some digging, and there would be good cause I think for owners of that particular board to go class action against Gigabyte. Its one thing to say Bulldozer *should* work with a BIOS update, Gigabyte completely misrepresented that board.

Jul 4, 2013
Hi all, I'm new in the forum. I just buy a FX-8350 for my Crosshair IV and...yes it's works (BIOS 3027) but pretty bad. I spend more than 2 hours to achieve a 3,8Ghz (underclocking!). Now I need some advice; I have 2 options :
A. Stick with my 1055t and send back FX-8350.
B. Buy a 990fx motherboard maybe Crosshair V? and sell my CrossHair IV+1055t.

Thanks! Sorry for my English (I'm spaniard).

My opinion would be if u are needing a more powerful setup you can get a new motherboard and keep the 8350 but if your 1055t does everything you want it to do and your spending money you really don't have to spend Id stick with the 1055t. I had a 1090t and honestly if I had a do over I'd still be using the 1090t.

If money is no issue and you just want a little better setup Id get a new motherboard to support the new CPU.

If u need the extra cores or a little more horsepower then its a worthwhile upgrade. If your just upgrading for the sake of it and aren't having any issues running a program or CPU intensive game I'd keep the 1055t.

Jul 4, 2013
Thank you!. I actually ordered a Crosshair V, I agree with you in everything though. My 1055t has enough horsepower, but I have a crossfire of 7970 and I think my 1055t is doing bottleneck and I could sell the motherboard & cpu for maybe..200euros?

Well a stock clocked 8350 should be better than the 1055t and did u attempt to OC the 1055t? as u will need to do with ur 7970s, if u alrdy ordered the crosshair V then just use the 8350 and sell ur current combo,

Jul 4, 2013

Yes, of course! My stable oc for 24/7 is 3,86Ghz and for the 7970s 1125/1575.