FX 8350 with 4 cores killed?

STRIKE-F

Reputable
May 15, 2014
So as u guys know,AMD FX cpu's modules are basically one floating pt with two integer chip if I'm right.
And this is why FX sucks at gaming,as games using dual core is actually using one floating pt chip.
However,I found out it is possible to turn off one integer chip from each module,which would result in making FX 8350 into quad-core with 4 floating pt chip.

Well,the question is
1.Can I do this in Asus 970 board and how
2.How much would games using not so many cores benefit from this?

there is almost no benefit on a piledriver cpu. on bulldozer you could get some performance gains though. The issue with piledriver is the VERY poor L3 cache.

besides, the poor floating point performance on piledriver isn't the reason it lags a bit in games.

sucks is relative... first understand if you have a fx8350 and a 60hz monitor, you'll never really be able to tell the difference between it and an intel in 99% of games and aps.

That said there are several reasons it lags behind Sandy bridge, Ivy Bridge and Haswell I5/I7 cpus in gaming.

1) x87 encoding: several popular contemporary games were coded with x87 encoding. A type of encoding that AMD CPUS do not support, and has not supported since it stopped being supported as an industry standard, 12 years ago. Games like Skyrim and Civ5 depend heavily on x87 encoding; intel continues to support this legacy encoding format.

2) Poorly threaded games: It has been almost 10 years since dual and quad core cpus became the norm, yet even today, many games are released which are almost entirely single threaded (or mostly single threaded), this type of lazy coding favors FAST cores, over MORE cores. As a result, games on intels tend to play better

3) different core design: With bulldozer, AMD went modular. This allowed them to keep costs down, and build chips according to the client's needs, It was because of this they were able to bid and win the contracts to the next gen gaming machines, as it was simply cheaper and easier for them to modify their chip design then it was for anyone else. This is VERY useful in business as well, which is a lot of money if it works. The problem is, Bulldozer doesn't scale up well, Oh sure, at low power levels, and slow clock speeds it is amazingly efficient... the bulldozer "inspired" cat core family are not just competitive with similar intel offerings, but in some cases flat out superior. The problem is it doesn't really scale up well, and becomes more and more inefficient the higher the clock speeds and voltages. In short the design never really panned out.

4) poor L3 cache: Its amazing to think AMD's Caching and memory controller used to be far superior to anything intel had to offer. Well those days are behind us... the L3 cache that AMD uses is little better then ddr3 ram, causing some titanic bottlenecks... it's believed piledriver operates at only 70-75% of it's possible performance due to this terrible cache. If they had an L3 cache in as efficient as Intel's, it's possible piledriver would be about as fast clock per clock as sandy bridge.

5) poor memory controller: AMD's memory controller is about 2/3 the speed of intel's... again... much like with the L3 cache issues, this poor memory controller sevierly handicaps AMD cpus.

STRIKE-F

Reputable
May 15, 2014
Does cpu mem controller have anything to do with northbridge?I heard ocing nb with cpu and ram boosts the performance heavily,though they oced the mb from 2GHz to 3GHz which certainly is heavy and dangerous

on the phenom II this is true. You can get amazing performance from overclocking the northbridge; on piledriver there is almost no gains. As i said, most of the problem is in the cache. The memory controller was actually improved drastically in piledriver... the problem is hyper transport and a few other things such as core scheduling, and cache latancy present their own bottlenecks.

simply put there are a number of bottlenecks in the system, which prevent overclocking the nb from showing any real performance increase.

STRIKE-F

Reputable
May 15, 2014
So summing all these facts,can OCing piledriver IMPROVE ANYTHING?Gosh it looks like piledriver has amazingly dreadful overclock efficiency due to its die design....
If it wasn't for my unreasonably low budget,I would have definitely gone i5 but it cost at least 100$ expensive...

sure... if you can get a 6 core piledriver up to 4.6ghz it will give you basically the same gaming performance as a stock I5; if you can get an 8 core piledriver up to 4.8ghz it will pace even a moderately overclocked i7... considering a piledriver cpu under 4.4ghz will struggle in some titles to hit 60fps in some select titles, and one over that point should hit atleast 60fps in EVERY title out there... i'd say there is some benifit to moderate overclocks

In my own experience an 8 core fx at 4.8ghz feels and acts identical to an i5/i7... heck... my own 8 core fx at 5ghz actually feels superior almost all the time, because of the SSD i have (man are computers ever gimped by hard drives)

TRENDING THREADS