Question FX 8350

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DavidM012

Distinguished
but your psu isn't up to overclocking it's gonna pop. I had a 850w aerocool integrator that worked ok for several weeks with the overclock then one day, it went phut when I woke the pc, tripped the rccb, so I removed it and switched it on and it blew up bang dead. Gone.

It was not a recommeded model of psu. Your psu is tier C budget pre-built replacement, not grade a (mid tier) that is comfortable for overclocking with.

It's not what you wanna hear but I cannae change the laws of physx.

uguv

Distinguished
Those last 2 are definitely wrong. As I said, that cpu throttles at 61. http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Bulldozer/AMD-FX-Series FX-8350.html (electrical & thermal parameters)
If speedfan were correct, the pc would either be shutting down on you, or the cpu would've baked/fried by now. As for core temp, that low idle temp you've posted is low for such a hot and power hungry chip, unless you're using high end liquid cooling.

On your results for overdrive, you sure you didn't mistake that 1 for a 7?
And I see that the mobo is of the 970 chipset. Not ideal at all for OC'ing 8xxx/9xxx fx cpus. You need 990fx for that - but in no way am I suggesting you upgrade into long outdated hardware.
Remove the overclock(so the motherboard doesn't die on you), and save up for a brand new ryzen platform, if budget is an issue.
Pretty sure Overdrive shows the remaining thermal headroom before the chip starts throttling, not the actual temp, so those numbers make sense.

DavidM012

Distinguished
I overclocked for years on a non-recommended sharkoon but that is no indication that you can get away with it on any other psu. And it was only a quad core cpu. Some of CX series are ok, the grey label ones were the refurbished models. But, aye aye, cap'n, shake her apart, then!

Be careful if it tanks don't kill yourself or anything dunno how it could happen, freak accident or something, and if the rccb trips and fuse in the plug goes, don't replace the fuse and try and power it on, remove it from the system, that's the indication that it's gone.

DavidM012

Distinguished
The breaker on your mains power box.

A residual-current device (RCD), or residual-current circuit breaker (RCCB), is a device that quickly breaks an electrical circuit to prevent serious harm from an ongoing electric shock.

It'll shut down anything plugged in the mains, your tv, fridge or whatever's on the same circuit when it trips.

DavidM012

Distinguished
It's not recommended to run the pc from a power extension, the actual pc, the cord from the psu to the mains should be plugged in directly to the socket by itself, but yes if your rccb trips it will be entirely because the psu has failed.

What's the power strip, surge suppressor or something or simply an ordinary 4 way? Things would be different for plugging in if it were an uninterruptible power supply, but no surge suppressor or ups would prevent a poor quality psu failing under load.