Question FX 8350

corymartin555

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 13, 2015
ok so (amd overdrive) the temps are 36 idle and 10c load? cant be right but anyway (speed fan) temps 40 idle and 80 max and (core temp) 25c idle and 50-55 load? so three different programs say way different temps

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
ok so (amd overdrive) the temps are 36 idle and 10c load? cant be right but anyway (speed fan) temps 40 idle and 80 max and (core temp) 25c idle and 50-55 load? so three different programs say way different temps
Those last 2 are definitely wrong. As I said, that cpu throttles at 61. http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Bulldozer/AMD-FX-Series FX-8350.html (electrical & thermal parameters)
If speedfan were correct, the pc would either be shutting down on you, or the cpu would've baked/fried by now. As for core temp, that low idle temp you've posted is low for such a hot and power hungry chip, unless you're using high end liquid cooling.

On your results for overdrive, you sure you didn't mistake that 1 for a 7?
And I see that the mobo is of the 970 chipset. Not ideal at all for OC'ing 8xxx/9xxx fx cpus. You need 990fx for that - but in no way am I suggesting you upgrade into long outdated hardware.
Remove the overclock(so the motherboard doesn't die on you), and save up for a brand new ryzen platform, if budget is an issue.

DavidM012

Distinguished
Cooler looks adequate but at the high reaches of an fx overclock, it still may not stay under a preferred 55c on core and package temps. I don't exceed 55c on my overclock in stress testing.

here's an example of my current bench on userbenchmark.com

and cpu-z bench

Hope it's not too much info but the point of that is to show that you get something but not much from the overclock. It's better than the default boost of 200mhz on 1 core, in my example it's 4.4ghz on all cores, and not much point in going any higher, I could get it to score 272 single threaded at 4.7ghz, but it doesn't have much real world impact on any games in my inventory. 20 points on the benchmark over default clock is nothing for a cpu, totally insignificant.

I think the cpu-z bench would be about 295 at 5ghz, which is still far behind many intel quad cores & way behind ryzen. Also the scores for the other cpu's do not include their overclocked bench, only their default, so the fx 8350 is about halfway in the list, not the worst performer but far from the best, and given it's increased power consumption and temperature overclocked, and nearly insignificant impact on gaming frame rates, it's hardly worth the additional stress/temperature/load/risk.

psu tier list <- hope your unit is on it!

I can provide a benchmark of a non operational system as well. 0.

DavidM012

Distinguished
Evga BQ tier C I wouldn't overclock with it at all if I were you.

The other drawback of the fx overclock is that it also requires a premium psu, but it's always nice to have a decent psu anyway, but if you were to buy a better psu you would need a larger more expensive one than is necessary for a modern i-series or ryzen so unfortunately the drawbacks outweigh any next to insignificant advantage.

You should still be able to run some games at 1080p at default but the fx is an obsolete platform.

DavidM012

Distinguished
You should turn off the overclock your psu will die if you're fortunate, if you aren't it will take out the pc with it.

Looks like something's up with your ssd, a samsung evo is currently my preferred brand, not saying it's the only one that's reliable but you seem to be knocking around with budget parts so don't break your pc.

DavidM012

Distinguished
sata cables are identical whether plugged into sata 2 or 3 drives. If the cable were faulty I think it simply wouldn't work.

Dunno if there's any settings in the bios you can tweak, mine's set to ahci mode so maybe it's that

I don't see any board specific sata driver on the support page The drive may be faulty. Probably nothing you can do short of a new different make and model of drive, to increase ssd performance.

Should be 500mb/s but I dunno who guarantees the performance of ultra cheap ssd's. You probably wouldn't get that in the best of circumstances.

Can also try wise reg cleaner it has a wizard that will help you apply optimised windows settings for your ssd.

So what all have you used to stress test?
Aod, prime95, aida64, occt, realbench
If it can run these staying off 70c max temp then all is good.
To this day i still want to shot that duck in occt when a test would fail.
The fx 6300 on the mobo you have wasn't bad but when i put the 8350 on then tried any oc over 4.3g that dam duck quacked.
If it can't run most of those stress test for several hours it's not stable.