FX-8370 + 2 x R9 280X Crossfire Poor Performance in CS:GO

gendutz

Commendable
Mar 15, 2016
Hello friends,

I'm new member from Indonesia. This is the first time I'm really desperate, and couldn't find the answer. This is why I thought you guys are my only last hope.

I'm an AMD fan (long story short, I was once disappointed by intel). Last year I build a new PC. For my daily work and Gaming purposes too. The only game that I play all the time is CS:GO.

My PC build:

1. PSU Enermax LEPA 80+ Gold 1000W Modular - G1000-MB
2. 2 x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB
3. Motherboard MSI 990FXA Gaming
4. AMD FX-8370 4.0 Ghz Cache 4x2MB
5. Corsair Hydro Series H100i GTX Water Cooler
6. 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 PC12800 Dual Channel
7. 2 x GPU PowerColor Radeon R9 280X TurboDuo OC 3 GB 384 Bit DDR5 (Crossfire)
8. BenQ 24" XL2411T
9. PC Case Corsair Obsidian 450D

I'm a PC enthusiast, I love building PC, but I don't understand technical. I don't understand OC too, so my pc still all stock. What bothers me is, even with Crossfire R9 280X, my fps very poor at CS:GO. Max only around 200+ fps, but very unstable. It went up and down very quickly. Average fps is around 150 fps, but in some map, it could goes down to 50 fps. Video setting in CS:GO almost all high, only shadow detail is low, and shader detail also high, not ultra high. Multicore rendering enabled, texture filtering billinear, FXAA, VSync and blur all off. Also have activated -threads 8 at startup too. This is very stressful for me. Did many research, but can't find the answer. I believe with single R9 280X, it should already could reach 200+ fps range. What's wrong with my Crossfire? I once opened AMD Catalyst, and disabled the Crossfire. I played CS:GO, it seems like just the same as it's enabled.

I updated my driver to the new Crimson, and it's even worst. Often very laggy and jittery in games. So I downgraded to the latest Catalyst before Crimson, not all fixed, but at least a lot smoother and no jittery.

Yesterday, I almost bought new 980 Ti, but finally I postpone. I'm afraid if it resulted the same as my Crossfire 280X. This is driving me crazy!! Any help, would be really appreciated. Thank you so very much.

Best regards,

Bobby

logainofhades

Titan
If performance is the same with one card, as it was 2, most likely the game doesn't properly support crossfire. Have you checked temps at all? The 980ti would be a waste of money, as your CPU would bottleneck it. Not sure what your disappointed was, with Intel, or when, but you bought what is basically a 3yr old CPU. The architecture for that FX debuted in 2012.

gendutz

Commendable
Mar 15, 2016

some people said that CS:GO do support multi GPU. All the temps monitored by my Corsair Link. And all seems normal. Well my disappointment was long ago though. hahahaha... during the era of Pentium 3 and AMD K7. And now Intel also very expensive :p

I also thought so about 980 Ti, that's why I cancel. Luckily I did, or else I might be adding extra stress by now. *sob*

gendutz

Commendable
Mar 15, 2016

Hi @Jiggy The-Red,
so do you OC you cpu? Any much different? What gpu that you use?

I know a lot people says that FX is the one bottlenecking. And I just want to be sure, before I change it. I was thinking say if I change to Intel i7 4790K will solved my problem? If say only different result, there's no point I'm spending extra cash for nothing. That's what concerns me most. Because I tested on website game-debate, say I'm using Intel i7 4790K and my CF gpu, and I chose CS:GO for the game, it still says bottleneck on cpu. But I'm not sure if this result is true. Cos' if I asked for solution for the bottleneck, it suggested me use Intel Xeon :p

logainofhades

Titan
Intel Xeon 1231v3, is an i7 4770, without the integrated graphics, and costs less. It is a nice chip. If you go with it, be sure to get an SLI compatible board, for proper x8/x8 graphics configuration. A lower end model will do, as you don't need a great overclocking board, just one that will work just fine at stock settings, and has proper x8/x8 support.

Also, I ran across this, with regards to crossfire. https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/305880-csgo-not-using-crossfire/

gendutz

Commendable
Mar 15, 2016

woghh... thanks for the input bro. really appreciate it.

I think I already use fullscreen, I will check it again tonight after office. I always use 1920 x 1080

Well I'm not gonna use the integrated graphic, is there any newer option? I was thinking of getting i7 6700K and MSI Z170A Gaming 5, as a solution for my problem. Would these be ok and am I on the right decision to switch? Is there any Xeon chip that same as 6700K?

logainofhades

Titan
Keep in mind, you would need new DDR4 ram for Skylake. There are skylake Xeons, now, but they do not work in Z170 boards. Intel threw a wrench into things with Skylake. You have to use a c232 or C236 board. There are not many of those out yet, and while they techincally support crossfire, they run at x16/x4, which is not an ideal way to run multiple cards.

gendutz

Commendable
Mar 15, 2016

so do you think switch to intel really would solve my problem? and do 6700K will be a lot better compare to my FX-8370 now, or just slightly better? Cos' I won't spend too much to buy the Intel 5 series cpu. Or should I just try to OC my FX? Will it improve my fps by much? Yes I already aware about the DDR4, thx :)

at first I was thinking 4790K, cos' I could still use my DDR3, but looking at the mainboards, the newer LGA 1151 mainboards offer a lot more newer advance technology compare to the LGA 1150. That's why I was thinking that skylake might be a better but for now.

logainofhades

Titan
Skylake is not that much faster than Haswell. I am using a 3570k, myself, and see no reason to upgrade, just for gaming. I want to upgrade for other reasons, but only because I need the multithreaded support of an i7. None of that new tech will give you more FPS.

gendutz

Commendable
Mar 15, 2016

Thx for the reply.

I was referring if Intel 6700K will perform better than FX-8370 in term for gaming CS:GO. But well... hope so..
Cos' I just bought i7 6700K, MSI Z170A Gaming 5 and 16GB Avexir Core DDR4. Hope will be better than my current one. :|

gendutz

Commendable
Mar 15, 2016

thx bro. will update you again, after install my new pc. hopefully sometime this weekend. Cheers