FX 8370 vs i3-6100

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Sep 26, 2018
I'm building a 2nd rig. Have a few friends selling their old parts to me.

The computer will be mainly used for home entertainment / light gaming / light casual youtube video editing.

Now I have 2 options to choose from:

PRICE: USD$520 (most of the parts are old except for PSU , Case and HDD)
CPU: FX 8370 (used)
Mobo: Asus 970 Pro Gaming (used)
RAM: 16GB DDR3 (used)
GPU: GTX 970 4GB wind froz (used)
PSU: Rosewill ARC 80+ Bronze 550W (NEW)
<(NEW)Case & (NEW) 1TB drive included>

Price : USD$365 (ALL parts are used)
CPU: i3 6100 3.70 ghz (used)
Mother Board: MSI B250m Bazooka (used)
Ram: 8gb ddr4 (used)
GPU: GTX 1050 2B EVGA SSC Edition (used)
PSU: CSX 80+Bronze 500W (used)
<Case & 1TB drive included (used)>

1) Which build is a better buy econmically? Assuming minimal upgrade for the next 4 years

2) if both builds use GTX 970 4GB wind froz , while keeping the cost the same, which is a better buy?

Appreciate your feedback! to help me analyze... I'm having analysis paralysis

Solution
With both builds using the 970, then the i3 is the better option in my opinion, however, I agree with the idea that NEITHER of them is is a good as building from scratch using an entirely new system. Those parts are not worth the cost AND they've already seen about half of their useful life which makes them even less worth the cost.

I wouldn't pay more than 250 bucks for the entire build, on BOTH of those systems. Well, actually, "I" wouldn't even pay that, but I also wouldn't recommend anybody to do so either unless it was the only available set of options.
They aren't going to be honest anyhow. Nobody wants to buy a card that was used for 24/7 mining, especially if the firmware was altered, so they wo't tell you the truth in any case.

At this point, I'd assume practically any card bought used was used for mining unless you know the person you are buying the card from and trust them.