Question FX 9370 Stepping Issue

Mar 17, 2019
My son recently purchased an FX 9370 to replace his FX 4300, and it is being a real pain.

Fits into the motherboard no problems, boots into Windows and functions fine, but have noticed that the BIOS is setting the FX 9370 to 3.8ghz, which is the limit of the FX 4300.

I’ve cleared the BIOS, but it still defaults to this setting. The motherboard is an MSI 7641, so the BIOS contains all over locking settings.

Can someone help me out with the correct stepping for this so that I can get this baby firing on all cylinders?

bignastyid

Titan
Just because the socket is the same doesn't mean it's compatible. That motherboard is in no way capable of running that cpu properly. That boards power deliver is so weak it doesn't even support the 125w FX cpus let alone a 220w 9370.
https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/760GM-P23-FX#support-test

There were very few boards that claimed to be capable of running the 220w 9xxx series FXs and most of them struggled. Unfortunately your son should have done more research as he has wasted his money.

The notherboard is really not suitable for a FX6 or FX-8 either.

It is a moot point since what you get with FX6 or FX8 is more cores, but not significantly stronger single thread processing that most games need.

FX is a dead line, do not spend a dime more on it.
For <$250, you can buy a better performing G5600, 8gb of ddr4 ram and a lga300 series motherboard.

Mar 17, 2019
The notherboard is really not suitable for a FX6 or FX-8 either.

It is a moot point since what you get with FX6 or FX8 is more cores, but not significantly stronger single thread processing that most games need.

FX is a dead line, do not spend a dime more on it.
For <$250, you can buy a better performing G5600, 8gb of ddr4 ram and a lga300 series motherboard.
That’s great advice, thanks for the link.