Question FX 9590 and H100i AIO STILL THERMAL THROTTLING (at least I think I am)

Oct 6, 2019
This is it I've lost it.
Just got a new rig had a cousin pass it down was kinda aware of what I was getting.
Got a new power supply EVGA GD 600w to go with a FX 9590 WITH A H100X AIO
Thermal throttled pretty bad a couple of times and got really concerned about my CPU.
I have no idea what it could be I have a Thermaltake S71 Urban as a case and a GTX 970.
After researching I have found that this H100X should be fine to cool the FX 9590 OC.
I'm running it at stock and still have thermal issues.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2019
Thermal issues...as in what temps, exactly?

And yes, a 9590 is problematic to run with any cooling situation.
You'll have to excuse me for being not a versed in cooling and such, but I did have a couple of freezes after running some games for about 15 min.
40c - 50c at idle that's what it's reporting on CPID HW monitor
70c - ??? when under load and when the crashes are at

P.S. If it helps my mobo temps were 40c - 41c

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Asrock 990x Extreme 3

That's a gigantic issue. The motherboard is designed to support up to 140W. This is a processor with a 220W TDP. If your CPU wasn't throttling, your motherboard might already be in silicon heaven. This motherboard, with its 4+1 power phase design, is barely competent at running the 125W CPUs, to the extent that ASRock recommends a top-down cooler to help prevent the VRMs from frying.

It's not worth buying a new motherboard though because you'll still have an FX-9590. If you're stuck with it, treat it like an 8370E and underclock it to 3.3 GHz; that's what the motherboard is truly appropriately running. Unfortunately, your cousin made some very poor choices in assembling this rig, so you need to look hard as to what you can spend, what you can salvage, and what you can live with.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2019
That's a gigantic issue. The motherboard is designed to support up to 140W. This is a processor with a 220W TDP. If your CPU wasn't throttling, your motherboard might already be in silicon heaven. This motherboard, with its 4+1 power phase design, is barely competent at running the 125W CPUs, to the extent that ASRock recommends a top-down cooler to help prevent the VRMs from frying.

It's not worth buying a new motherboard though because you'll still have an FX-9590. If you're stuck with it, treat it like an 8370E and underclock it to 3.3 GHz; that's what the motherboard is truly appropriately running. Unfortunately, your cousin made some very poor choices in assembling this rig, so you need to look hard as to what you can spend, what you can salvage, and what you can live with.
Honestly, at this point I wouldn't mind underclocking my CPU, but to be clear it is this motherboard?
http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/990FX Extreme3/
Also, I do have a i7 4790 from my last rig that is working fine, so would it be logical to maybe replace the mobo and slot in that CPU and run the rest of the rig like so?
And about underclocking, can you run me through the steps or is there a tutorial I could use to do so?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Honestly, at this point I wouldn't mind underclocking my CPU, but to be clear it is this motherboard?
Also, I do have a i7 4790 from my last rig that is working fine, so would it be logical to maybe replace the mobo and slot in that CPU and run the rest of the rig like so?
And about underclocking, can you run me through the steps or is there a tutorial I could use to do so?

It would make a lot of sense; the i7-4790 is a far superior CPU to the FX-9590. The latter is arguably the worst consumer-targeted CPUs since the very late Pentium 4s that almost destroyed Intel's position in the consumer market. It's not only notoriously unstable, requires high-end cooling and power, but in gaming workloads at least, had trouble convincingly beating i3s.

Oct 6, 2019
Oh, I'm stupid no, it's a https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/990FX Extreme9/
I was confused on what particular mobo I had before actually looking it up, so if I have a 990FX Extreme 9 with a 12+2 power phase design and an ok cooler (H100X), what could be my issue?
Also, I won't have to replace my mobo then?

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Oh, I'm stupid no, it's a https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/990FX Extreme9/
I was confused on what particular mobo I had before actually looking it up, so if I have a 990FX Extreme 9 with a 12+2 power phase design and an ok cooler, what could be my issue?
Also, I won't have to replace my mobo then?

That's a far better motherboard, but still not a guarantee that a 9590 will work. Many people have issues with the 9590 no matter what they try. Just eyeballing it, I'd probably want an absolute top-tier PSU; you don't need to match 1000W like AMD recommends for a PSU to power this, but the CPU will put a huge strain on PSUs. Something like a G2/G3 750/850 would have been a far better idea.

Again, if you have an i7-4790, you already own a far superior CPU.

Oct 6, 2019
That's a far better motherboard, but still not a guarantee that a 9590 will work. Many people have issues with the 9590 no matter what they try. Just eyeballing it, I'd probably want an absolute top-tier PSU; you don't need to match 1000W like AMD recommends for a PSU to power this, but the CPU will put a huge strain on PSUs. Something like a G2/G3 750/850 would have been a far better idea.

Again, if you have an i7-4790, you already own a far superior CPU.
Currently, that i7-4790 is running a rig for my brother with some OEM intel mobo and if I swap the CPU and MOBO I would have to get a different power supply for my FX 9590 anyway.
But, again my issues lie with thermals is there anything I can do as of now to stop crashes?
Underclocking doesn't sound like a bad idea as mentioned earlier, but I don't know what to underclock to since I have a 600w unit.
What could I underclock to that maximizes performance and NOT thermal trip?

I've decided to definitely get a new power supply, but currently I don't have the budget to fork over 100+ for G2 or G3 750w or 850w so I plan to wait for a sale, til then what I can I do to at least use my system without crashing everytime I want to game for a prolonged amount of time?

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I've decided to definitely get a new power supply, but currently I don't have the budget to fork over 100+ for G2 or G3 750w or 850w so I plan to wait for a sale, til then what I can I do to at least use my system without crashing everytime I want to game for a prolonged amount of time?

Underclock it until stable. You essentially have an insanely overclocked FX-8350, so treating it like a normal FX-8350 usually works out.

Its also worth noting you need to be monitoring your temps and clock speeds with AMD overdrive. OD is the only accurate way to read FX series processors by checking the thermal margin (distance from max temp).
If you are hitting your max temps in OD, then start dropping clock speeds slowly (along with voltages where appropriate) until you are within spec.

Oct 6, 2019
Ok, so I have finally got my hands on a EVGA 850 W GQ PSU, all installed and ready to go, until I end with the same problem I had last time, instability due to Vdroop
I’m gonna need some help on this one.

If you still had that combo: Asrock 990x Extreme 3 + fx 9590, forget about PSU, evne you got 2000W one, the PC will not work, because the MB can't handle the 220W TDP fx9590, just like other member said. You will need a very very good 990 chipset AM3+ MB with very very high power phase counts. Your asrock 990x extreme 3 has only 4+1.

Did you check the cpu support list from asrock? I added it, check it out. https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/990FX Extreme3/#CPU The fx9590 is not in the list.

More info about what happens about the fx cpu with MB, check the linker: https://www.overclock.net/forum/10-...s-motherboard-safety-125w-tdp-processors.html