FX-9590 CPU doesn't underclock at idle while overclocked

Ibizibbik

Prominent
May 28, 2017
I have an fx- 9590 cpu overclocked to 4.8Ghz with a Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 motherboard. Automatic underclocking at idle does work, so long as i dont try to oc the chip. As soon as i do its just a solid 4.8Ghz constantly. Ive tried every setting i can think of to get them both at the same time but i cannot figure this out. I dont change any settings when i oc either, i just change the Ghz etc and it must automatically turn of underclocking? I saw other posts about this, but they were for intel chips and i dont have the same settings in bios for that. Im out of ideas...

PC stats as follows
OS- Windows 10 pro x64
PSU- 1000w Gold certified
Motherboard- Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
CPU- AMD FX 9590 8-core 4.8Ghz
GPU- Sapphire Radeon RX-480 8GB
RAM- 16GB high performance DDR3 1600

Solution
You have the FX-9590 which as you know is an extreme CPU with special requirements.
You have a good MB for the Beast (FX-9590) however OC performance will depend on Tower Case and Liquid Cooling Capability, your PSU and it's Efficiency and the correct Bios settings.

Bios settings at stock 4.7GHz.
Ensure Bios is up to date and CMOS has been cleared back to default.
Check the following in your Bios and modify to suit.

Go to Bios>AI OC Tuner>default is Auto so change to D.O.C.P. for your first Boot into Windows.
During Post cycle CMOS will interrogate your system hardware and determine which settings would be stable at stock. D.O.C.P and is similar to XMP.
D.O.C.P sets up the CPU bus and CPU ratio whilst optimizing RAM and best as an...

Ibizibbik

Prominent
May 28, 2017

I just tried turning it on and kept all my oc settings the same. It still says its max speed is 4.8Ghz(my desired oc) but it is still only operating it 4.7Ghz(stock) at 100% load and never goes below 4.7 at idle, so... still not good.

You have the FX-9590 which as you know is an extreme CPU with special requirements.
You have a good MB for the Beast (FX-9590) however OC performance will depend on Tower Case and Liquid Cooling Capability, your PSU and it's Efficiency and the correct Bios settings.

Bios settings at stock 4.7GHz.
Ensure Bios is up to date and CMOS has been cleared back to default.
Check the following in your Bios and modify to suit.

Go to Bios>AI OC Tuner>default is Auto so change to D.O.C.P. for your first Boot into Windows.
During Post cycle CMOS will interrogate your system hardware and determine which settings would be stable at stock. D.O.C.P and is similar to XMP.
D.O.C.P sets up the CPU bus and CPU ratio whilst optimizing RAM and best as an initial training Boot. It should be stable but not necessarily the best for performance. It is however necessary for establishing a stable platform at stock default and as a base line when under load.
Conduct a stress test using AIDA64 and HWInfo monitor and report the results.

Once you are stable and results are known then go back into Bios>AI OC Tuner>set for "Manual"
Do not change BCLK just your Multiplier and set this ratio to 24. (200 x 24 = 4800 = 4.8GHz) This small static OC requires other Bios changes. Do not make any arbitrary changes.
Go to Memory Frequency and choose your 1600MHz RAM.
Check your Cstates and disable C1E and any other power saving feature initially.(Can be turned back on later)
Disable "Cool and Quiet" and any Turbo mode feature.
Ensure that all Cores are enabled.
Set your Core voltage and LLC (Load Line Calibration) Core Voltage = 1.375V. Can be raised in .010V steps to attain stability but no more than 1.4V on the Core.
LLC set to "High" and CPU Current Capability to 120%. This will help with stability.
Leave the rest on Auto for now, Save and exit F10 , boot to Windows and stress test.
If stable then save a profile in Bios.
Please report your AIDA64 or any testing results.

If you can get 4.8GHz -5.0GHz and stable and the cooling system copes then you have a very capable and performy PC with your RX-480.

Solution